Did Josh Allen go rogue on the 4th and 1 run.

Protocal69

18 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

I was looking at this video and one of the guys brought up a good point that he thought the play call was to hand it off the running back but Josh decided to keep it himself that was why Dawkins basically let his man get to the outside and Diggs didnt even try to block the WR and that gt me to thinking he might be right 

https://youtu.be/-GGrVads1-k?t=1452

So went looking for the play and Dan Orlowsky broke down the play to show it seems like that is exactly what he did. 

https://youtu.be/8oTmykbPR1g?t=353

That took a lot of balls to make that call on your own without your own team knowing what you was about to do. I know he did that before a couple of times this year and that was a huge moment in the game. That is being self confident at its finest.

Funny that Orlovsky said Josh played a boring style of football reading the option plays. I know what he means , but josh is anything but boring, that dude is a livewire ready to ignite.

13 hours ago, mattynh said:

The Bills have lost the ability to do a QB sneak this year which kinda sucks.  Every team can do it against the Bills no problem.  They need to add beef interior next offseason.

I believe they will. They should thats for sure.

10 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Allen went rogue because he thought Belichick knew some Bills play calls.

Where did you get that info ?

7 hours ago, Logic said:

Actually, I was wondering something different about the play.

I saw that Diggs basically didn't even try to block the corner that was defending him. He did, however, turn around and make himself available for a shovel pass. Seeing the 11 yard pass that Allen DID complete to Diggs on 3rd down in this game as well as the rollout shovel pass to Knox that sealed the game, it made me wonder if the play design was not only for Josh to roll out left, but for Diggs to be available as a "break glass in case of emergency" outlet receiver for the shovel pass.

Hmmm...

That may be but Diggs needed to do a WAY better job at blocking that play because he totally whiffed.

21 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

He could have flipped it to Diggs...Screenshot_20211226-214203_Bills.thumb.jpg.b927b3cc2ccff49379b179d6e97338e1.jpgScreenshot_20211226-214123_Bills.thumb.jpg.1cbda83a289ebac50fda48b158799815.jpg

And I think he woulda, had he realized that were gonna tackle him short.  Great situational awareness... Diggs right there, ball is in his throwing hand like an outrigger... 

I was just praying he wouldn't fumble it there.

19 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I believe they will. They should thats for sure.

Where did you get that info ?

A lifetime of seeing Belichick know what we are doing before we do.

Actually Tedi Brischi once fessed up that they knew our playbook. There was a interception in the final game of 2003. We were losing 31-0 but at the 2 yard line, about to score to break the shutout. Bruschi said he knew exactly where we were throwing, stepped in and preserved the shut out.

Ever since, I don't trust the Pats, especially in Foxborough.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Actually Tedi Brischi once fessed up that they knew our playbook. There was a interception in the final game of 2003. We were losing 31-0 but at the 2 yard line, about to score to break the shutout. Bruschi said he knew exactly where we were throwing, stepped in and preserved the shut out.

Guess we really put it on them then.

35 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

And that season was bookended by two 31-0 wins by both the Bills and Patriots.  Weird ain't it!

Bills had their playback in game #1 after the Lawyer Milloy signing.

2003, it's where the League really diverged.  Cord cutting, cheating, tech, etc... Glad Bills were only implicated once in all this!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

11 hours ago, MJS said:

Yes, but Allen needs to take a page out of Brady's book. Allen tries to look for a hole. Brady just lowers his head and shoulders and plows his way through without looking or hesitating.

I think Brady has always had excellent Center and Guards....Not so much for Allen (or at least in Allen's mind)

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, dorquemada said:

imagine if JA17 ever becomes as slippery as Flutie?  

IDK why it rattles people. Flutie was indeed "slippery", rarely took a big hit, had great pocket awareness. Is Josh a much better more complete QB? Hell yeah. But Flutie has this strength, only haters feel this need to vent all these years later. And so far, Allen has won many such short battles too. Both have this amazing will to win.  

• Agree 1

On 12/28/2021 at 5:50 AM, stosh64 said:

I would love to see Josh calling his own plays like Kelly used to.  I think Josh would be better.

This will not happen as it is a very different game today. He will get more freedom and input but I just don’t see play calling being one of the elements of this.

Rogue, improvise, thinking on his feet. Call it what you wish, it’s time his teammates realize what they have at QB. He’s gonna improvise all the time, every time he sees a better option. He has the best vision on the team and it isn’t even close. Diggs -and even Dawkins should know better by now that it doesn’t really matter what the play call is, Josh will be handling the ball and ANYTHING can happen.

On 12/28/2021 at 5:50 AM, stosh64 said:

I would love to see Josh calling his own plays like Kelly used to.  I think Josh would be better.

Josh's wonderlic score would agree with your assessment.  It was the reason I thought he had a chance to be where he is today after his rookie season, the kid clearly has all the physical tools in the world, and mentally he is smarter than your average bear, so I thought it was only a matter of time before he put it all together. He did it faster and better than I could've imagined, which demonstates his football accumen and ability to absorb information. He is basically cerebrally Payton Manning with Cam Newton's rushing/playmaking ability + Favreian toughness/grit and the best arm...ever.  It's almost not fair, but this fan base deserves it.

Someone above mentioned it but I’ll second it - Dawkins was on the NFL channel on Serius and said Josh went rgoue on the play, nobody knew he was going to run a bootleg. When he saw Josh go outside, Dawkins had to disengage his block so he didn’t get a holding call. Looking at the replay it  Looks like there wasn’t much room for Singletary so Josh might have saved the game.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.