#1 Defense, #8 Offense, 7-6

st pete gogolak

After 13 games, the Bills are the #1 defense (yards) #3 defense (points), #8 offense (yards), #6 (points).  And yet, they are an absolutely mediocre 7 - 6.  Anomalies like this happen from time to time.  Several years ago, the Chargers finished the year #1 in both offense and defense and missed the playoffs.  If I recall correctly, they were horrific on special teams.  Conversely, one of the Dick Jauron coached teams was near rock bottom in both offense and defense yet finished 7 - 9 thanks to playing ultra-conservative football to beat bad teams and great special teams play under Bobby April.  They got their brains beat in by good teams.  

Here, special teams play hasn't been horrible (granted blocked punt against Pittsburgh and McKenzie fumble against Colts didn't help).  It isn't turnovers either.  Bills are in top ten in turnover differential.

Of course, the answer is the team blows out inferior opponents and loses close games to both good and bad teams.  The only outlier is the blow out loss to the Colts.  Is this an anomaly?  I can't think of another team that really fits this description.  

We know the defense isn't the '85 Bears or the '00 Ravens.  It's a good but not great defense that can be exploited by the run and doesn't generate enough sacks.  The offense has been very inconsistent.  The inconsistency, however, seems for the most part to depend on who's starting on the offensive line.  

Bottom-line, maybe this is one of the few times you're not what your record says you are.  I think that if the Bills make the playoffs, they will be the proverbial team that no one wants to face.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Angry 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

This looks like it’s probably due to poor coaching. They are stepping on the gas, in terms of offensive or defensive success, but not at critical points in the game. The result is they don’t win the game. 

Honestly to me, they just aren't executing well in key situations ion close games.  They did last year and won most of them.  Not sure what the difference is this year.  That doesn't have to do with coaching.  

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Honestly to me, they just aren't executing well in key situations ion close games.  They did last year and won most of them.  Not sure what the difference is this year.  That doesn't have to do with coaching.  

It's little bit of everything. Coaches on down. Player slipping in Titans among other plays. Refs failed on lots of things.

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

After 13 games, the Bills are the #1 defense (yards) #3 defense (points), #8 offense (yards), #6 (points).  And yet, they are an absolutely mediocre 7 - 6.  Anomalies like this happen from time to time.  Several years ago, the Chargers finished the year #1 in both offense and defense and missed the playoffs.  If I recall correctly, they were horrific on special teams.  Conversely, one of the Dick Jauron coached teams was near rock bottom in both offense and defense yet finished 7 - 9 thanks to playing ultra-conservative football to beat bad teams and great special teams play under Bobby April.  They got their brains beat in by good teams.  

Here, special teams play hasn't been horrible (granted blocked punt against Pittsburgh and McKenzie fumble against Colts didn't help).  It isn't turnovers either.  Bills are in top ten in turnover differential.

Of course, the answer is the team blows out inferior opponents and loses close games to both good and bad teams.  The only outlier is the blow out loss to the Colts.  Is this an anomaly?  I can't think of another team that really fits this description.  

We know the defense isn't the '85 Bears or the '00 Ravens.  It's a good but not great defense that can be exploited by the run and doesn't generate enough sacks.  The offense has been very inconsistent.  The inconsistency, however, seems for the most part to depend on who's starting on the offensive line.  

Bottom-line, maybe this is one of the few times you're not what your record says you are.  I think that if the Bills make the playoffs, they will be the proverbial team that no one wants to face.

The defense against strong running teams has been pummeled.  That is not the mark of a number 1 defense.  They cannot stop good running teams.  The Colts are a very good team that will make a strong push for a playoff position, so I disagree that the game was an outlier.  They were beat by a team with an excellent running game.  The defense continues to show its shortcomings and now the team's best player is lost for the season.  This was a guy that shut down a half of the field in pass coverage.  Because of that, I expect to see more difficulties for them in finishing off the year and I do not view them as a team that others are concerned about facing.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

Love the positive outlook here. However the Bills are exactly what their record says this year. And for the reason you listed. Inconsistant play. They are constantly inconsistent so to speak. 

And while facing Josh Allen in the playoffs isn't an easy task...I can't figure anyone is trembling in their boots to play this years version of the Bills that is 0-5 in close games, 3-5 over the last 8 games and has a swiss cheese offensive line. Especially physical teams that can have success running the ball (Tenn with DH back, Colts, Pats, Browns, and even the much improved lately Chiefs all spring to mind).

Other than POSSIBLY Tennessee with a rested up Brown and Henry coming back and the Chiefs that are really looking like last years version, there really aren't any teams that would stand out as a team "no one wants to face in the postseason".

We have statistically been the unluckiest team in the league (twitter threads about it, dont have time to link here, you can easily find it).

0-5 in one score games

No obvious PI calls in crucial game winning situations multiple times

We are a couple coin flips away from being 10-3/9-4

I'm not too worried honestly, thems the breaks sometime in the NFL. Just gotta win out and we will likely win the division, and at the very least make the playoffs. Get into the dance and anything can happen. 

• Agree 3

39 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

Throw out the anomalous Colts game, and the question is Why have they lost five one-score games? A plausible answer is McDermott's conservative calls on fourth down, most recently his decision to kick on the Bucs three-yard line. You can't do much worse than 0-5, so it stands to reason that he's the problem. 

Because of garbage times, many NFL stats are useless. The Bills had big leads over really bad teams early in games, and the teams gave up running the ball early, which made the Bills appear better than they are against the run. Also the Bills played against a lot of 2nd and 3rd string QB's early on. The easy schedule hid the issues with the weak O-Line and D-Lines. Were paying for it now. Imagine if Epenesa, Rousseau, Oliver, Basham, and Ford were actually difference maker 1st and 2nd round studs like Micah Parsons, instead of mediocrities. Beane nailed Allen (Not a huge triumph as Allen was the overall consensus 2nd or 3rd best QB in the 2018 draft by EVERYONE). Beane has just not been very good. Were paying for it now! I actually worry about the Panthers game, as they have a decent defense, plus I think it's 50%/50% that Josh plays.. A loss on Sunday and it's over. 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, OP Blue said:

The defense against strong running teams has been pummeled.  That is not the mark of a number 1 defense.  They cannot stop good running teams.  The Colts are a very good team that will make a strong push for a playoff position, so I disagree that the game was an outlier.  They were beat by a team with an excellent running game.  The defense continues to show its shortcomings and now the team's best player is lost for the season.  This was a guy that shut down a half of the field in pass coverage.  Because of that, I expect to see more difficulties for them in finishing off the year and I do not view them as a team that others are concerned about facing.

Yet the Colts who you state are very good team has the same record as us.  I agree with the OP, if the Bills do get in the playoffs there is not a team out that is going to want to see them.

25 minutes ago, Ross Murdock said:

Because of garbage times, many NFL stats are useless. The Bills had big leads over really bad teams early in games, and the teams gave up running the ball early, which made the Bills appear better than they are against the run. Also the Bills played against a lot of 2nd and 3rd string QB's early on. The easy schedule hid the issues with the weak O-Line and D-Lines. Were paying for it now. Imagine if Epenesa, Rousseau, Oliver, Basham, and Ford were actually difference maker 1st and 2nd round studs like Micah Parsons, instead of mediocrities. Beane nailed Allen (Not a huge triumph as Allen was the overall consensus 2nd or 3rd best QB in the 2018 draft by EVERYONE). Beane has just not been very good. Were paying for it now! I actually worry about the Panthers game, as they have a decent defense, plus I think it's 50%/50% that Josh plays.. A loss on Sunday and it's over. 

If they had an example in the dictionary for revisionist history, it would be this sentence. 

27 minutes ago, Ross Murdock said:

A franchise QB is not a huge triumph?

GTFOH

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

In every loss but one, you can point to literally a single play that was the difference in losing or winning.  The other common theme, is the tendency to leave points on the field through out the game thanks to holding or other offensive penalties.   

We have managed to shoot ourselves in the foot from #1 seed down to 7-6.  If we can reduce this we can beat anyone.  Its hard enough to beat one opponent...and this year, at times its like we have 2 opponents...them and our selves.  Add in the wildcard 3rd opponent, the refs, makes it pretty hard to win close games.  Only solution, eliminate ourselves as one of those opponents.  

Feels like the 2nd half they found their identity again.  I said before and I will say it again...McD inserted himself before the half into the defensive plan over Frazier.  And everything changed.  Second half they made major offensive adjustments too, and having Sanders leave the game allowing Beasley to be more involved is also something that was needed for the offense.  

I think its finally something we can build on and carry over the final 4 games and be fine tuned come playoff time.  Then, we wont be a team anyone will want to face like you said 

• Like (+1) 3

For the fans that have watched every game in intimate detail, do you really believe this is the best defense in the NFL after watching them get run over multiple times and getting lit up by QB's?

The overall numbers are padded because of the games against poor QB's, specifically earlier in the season.

As for the offense, that's pretty in line with where this team is but also misleading because of how one dimensional they are and Allen accounting for a big chunk of the rushing yards this year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, st pete gogolak said:

I think the opposite is true….the bills IMO are way overrated have 7 wins with a easy schedule.    They give up tons of yards to good teams.   That being said,  Buffalo is a fringe playoff team,  and if they make it the easiest to draw up against.   Buffalo offensive line sucks,  they have no running game,  and a small defence that can’t stop the run….terrible overall team

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.