Let's put it another way - Are the Bills a better team than the Pats?

Billsfan1972

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Wow....  Thanks for that one.....  Dig deep into the archives to pull that one out.  

Got another one for you The Jets beat Baltimore in SB III......😜

see?  you don't understand.  it's wasn't a profound point, but it negates the point your trying to make, (for some strange reason).  this is why you get what you get from posters.  make another thread for attention though.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

Again, it's about current results and right now one team is 6-0 in their last 6 games with an average score of 35-10. The other is 3-3 alternating wins and losses and has lost to a 2 win Jags team scoring only 6 points and throttled at home by a dome team scoring 15 points.

Yes the Bills have seemed to bounce back strong after every loss only to flounder the next game which in this case would be the MNF game against the Pats if that trend holds.

Also regarding QB play, Allen has also been very inconsistent this year and even played poorly at time during some of these blowout wins. Meanwhile some are saying Mac Jones is not only the rookie of the year, but right up there in the top QB in the league conversation. In fact Kay Adams said this morning that Jones is the best QB in the AFC right now and it's hard to argue that even with the Chiefs getting on a roll Mahomes has been inconsistent as well.

For me though the biggest X factor is coaching and I just can't see McDermott and this staff ready against a wartime coach like Belichik who is going to force Allen into mistakes/hero ball. And the Pats front seven against this oline is an epic disaster just waiting to happen and Judon is easily a defensive player of the year candidate. So even if we limit Mac Jones or force a few turnovers it's going to be a wash against a team like the Patriots who are just playing an elite level of football across the board right now.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, teef said:

see?  you don't understand.  it's wasn't a profound point, but it negates the point your trying to make, (for some strange reason).  this is why you get what you get from posters.  make another thread for attention though.

How about YES or NO.....  Two or Three letters, I know that's a stretch.

18 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Again, it's about current results and right now one team is 6-0 in their last 6 games with an average score of 35-10. The other is 3-3 alternating wins and losses and has lost to a 2 win Jags team scoring only 6 points and throttled at home by a dome team scoring 15 points.

Yes the Bills have seemed to bounce back strong after every loss only to flounder the next game which in this case would be the MNF game against the Pats if that trend holds.

Also regarding QB play, Allen has also been very inconsistent this year and even played poorly at time during some of these blowout wins. Meanwhile some are saying Mac Jones is not only the rookie of the year, but right up there in the top QB in the league conversation. In fact Kay Adams said this morning that Jones is the best QB in the AFC right now and it's hard to argue that even with the Chiefs getting on a roll Mahomes has been inconsistent as well.

For me though the biggest X factor is coaching and I just can't see McDermott and this staff ready against a wartime coach like Belichik who is going to force Allen into mistakes/hero ball. And the Pats front seven against this oline is an epic disaster just waiting to happen and Judon is easily a defensive player of the year candidate. So even if we limit Mac Jones or force a few turnovers it's going to be a wash against a team like the Patriots who are just playing an elite level of football across the board right now.

Ye of little faith.  They are playing very well, the Bills however are the better team and at home.

Talking heads now saying Mac Jones is the best QB in the AFC????  At least he didn't bring Dak, Murray, Brady or Rodgers into the conversation....  But yep to say he's better than Allen or Mahomes (yea yea yea I know he qualified it with "right now").....

I only see the Bills losing if McD or the the coaches play scared (allow easy underneath throws) and the Offense trying to play ball control.

• Like (+1) 1

I think the Bills have a more talented roster on offense with the defense being close to a "push".  But they don't always play up to their potential while the Patriots, with few exceptions, are well prepared and playing close to or at their best.  If both teams bring their best game the Bills should win but it will be tight and into the 4th quarter before its decided.   

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Sad to say in total I don't think either team is "better" but I do think the Pats are now playing better.  We seemed to have peaked about week 6, Pats seem to be getting stronger every week.  How they could lose the opener to the Dolphins is as baffling as how we lost to the Jags.

The Pats always lose games early in the season. The Bills always seem to have a midseason slump. Obviously both teams are very evenly matched except for HC (Pats) and QB/WR (Bills). We will need turnovers and pray the refs don't screw us.

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yes unequivocally I say they are.  They are at home Monday night for a game they need to win (not crucial, but a loss would be crushing).  

I'm tired reading that anything can happen, any given Monday, things aren't linear, bad bounces, calls, decisions.....  

If the Bills do lose, what does that say?

It could say a lot of things, but fundamentally it will say that the Pats were the better team on that field that Sunday.

13 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I think the Bills have a more talented roster on offense with the defense being close to a "push".  But they don't always play up to their potential while the Patriots, with few exceptions, are well prepared and playing close to or at their best.  If both teams bring their best game the Bills should win but it will be tight and into the 4th quarter before its decided.   

I think this is a reasonable assessment.  The Bills overall may have the more talented roster, but they aren't consistent in showing up on Sunday and they've allowed their offensive gameplans to become alarmingly unbalanced, which creates a defensive advantage for the opponent.

It may come down to coaching, which might not go in the Bills favor.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

How about YES or NO.....  Two or Three letters, I know that's a stretch.

Dude, if you want only a "Yes" or "No" answer, the correct course of action is for you to create a poll and lock the thread to discussion.

Let me know if you want or need help in how to do that.

Otherwise, discussion is the point of this board, and snarking at people to just give you "YES" or "NO" answers to questions they see as nuanced, is not appropriate.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

My only concern is if the Bills are sloppy and beat themselves. I think there was a bit of over confidence and it's been a humbling kind of season. 

Better than the Jags and still lost to them. 

Edited by Lfod

5 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The Pats always lose games early in the season. The Bills always seem to have a midseason slump. Obviously both teams are very evenly matched except for HC (Pats) and QB/WR (Bills). We will need turnovers and pray the refs don't screw us.

If we don't kill ourselves with stupid penalties and drops like Jax, whoever wins the turnover battle will win this game.  The Pats current win streak is largely based on a massive positive turnover ratio.

25 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Ye of little faith.  They are playing very well, the Bills however are the better team and at home.

Talking heads now saying Mac Jones is the best QB in the AFC????  At least he didn't bring Dak, Murray, Brady or Rodgers into the conversation....  But yep to say he's better than Allen or Mahomes (yea yea yea I know he qualified it with "right now").....

I only see the Bills losing if McD or the the coaches play scared (allow easy underneath throws) and the Offense trying to play ball control.

I havent heard that.  Many are saying he is making fewer mistakes than other QBs but universally he is viewed as a short yardage master under the tutelage of Belichek but has significant physical limitations compared to other QBs, notably Josh Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

Andy Reid " get me Coach Belly on the line!" , Coach Belly " Hello fat Ass, what do you want?, Coach Reid," hey Big Belly, trade idea, I'll give you Mahomes and a one, for Mac Jones", Coach Belly, "Go ***** yourself fat boy! We're good!"

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower

42 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Perhaps you would find this less frustrating if you would care to explain, point by point, why you believe the Bills are a better team?

Coach

OC

DC

QB

WR

TE

OL

DL

LB

CB

Safety

Placekicker

Punter

Overall ST

(didn't we already have a thread on this?)

It's also possible that the weather will feature snow and strong winds - can you explain which team you believe this would favor and why?

Both teams are capable at the player level, even w/o Tre White.          This game will be a match of the coach's ability to out smart the other team.  going against cheaten Bill is a tough assignment.  Daboll worked for him for 10 years, they know each other.  Going to be interesting to see if student can handle his teacher.  And, the Bills D has to handle the new young gun the Pats have at QB.   Not many bad throws unless they mount some pressure.  Maybe blitz the new guy some to see if he can handle it, who knows.  This isn't Mahones........but Jones can chuck it accurately for sure if he has time.

9 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

If we don't kill ourselves with stupid penalties and drops like Jax, whoever wins the turnover battle will win this game.  The Pats current win streak is largely based on a massive positive turnover ratio.

So stupid penalties, drops, and interceptions/fumbles

Valid point.  Certainly the Pats wins over the Jets, Falcons, and Titans exploited turnovers.

1 hour ago, Talley56 said:

I would be curious to see what all non Bills or Patriots football fans think.  On this board, I can already see most are saying the Bills.  Post this on a Patriots board and I'm sure the majority would say Pats.  Bills were definitely better in September and October.

Probably means nothing but.....my brother is a Lions fan, no stake in the game.  From an objective stand point he does not think the Pats offense can do much against the Bills D even with White out.  Bill will scheme some stuff up on D that will make it difficult early for the Bills to figure out but will eventually over power them.  Non Bills fan opinion, take it for what it worth.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I havent heard that.  Many are saying he is making fewer mistakes than other QBs but universally he is viewed as a short yardage master under the tutelage of Belichek but has significant physical limitations compared to other QBs, notably Josh Allen.

Oh, I have.  Troy Aikman on TNF was pushing the narrative that Mac Jones is the greatest thing since sliced cheese.

Have heard from some other talking heads too.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.