Lincoln Riley to USC

YoloinOhio

27 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Is USC a better job than Oklahoma at this point? This is one area of college football coach moves I don’t always understand. 

No, but it could be with a couple recruiting classes. Weak conference. Oklahoma heading to the SEC was going to mean more losses for Riley. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Is USC a better job than Oklahoma at this point? This is one area of college football coach moves I don’t always understand. 

There is a lot of uncertainty and little on-field upside for Oklahoma moving into the SEC.   No more cake-walks into playoff contention.  

Riley has a chance to go to USC and dominate recruiting in the west and basically turn them into another version of what Oklahoma has been.

• Agree 2

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

No, but it could be with a couple recruiting classes. Weak conference. Oklahoma heading to the SEC was going to mean more losses for Riley. 

That’s true, Riley was basically afraid of the SEC, but I think Oklahoma has all the tools to succeed in that conference. The PAC 12 is weak, but USC hasn’t gotten it right in over a decade. I know great programs go through rough patches, but I think some people assume recruiting to USC should be easy. I’m no longer convinced they have a huge recruiting advantage, as the landscape of football has changed, and the LA sales pitch doesn’t hold the same allure. 

1 minute ago, SirAndrew said:

That’s true, Riley was basically afraid of the SEC, but I think Oklahoma has all the tools to succeed in that conference. The PAC 12 is weak, but USC hasn’t gotten it right in over a decade. I know great programs go through rough patches, but I think some people assume recruiting to USC should be easy. I’m no longer convinced they have a huge recruiting advantage, as the landscape of football has changed, and the LA sales pitch doesn’t hold the same allure. 

The recruiting ground in Southern cal is extremely rich and they are losing guys to bama, Ohio state, you name it. There is no reason it should be that way. Right now Elias ricks is in the portal and usc is one of his top 4. He’s from mater dei HS. He will probably end up there now because they finally have a real coach. It might be too late for the ‘22 class that signs in s few weeks but he could flip some kids, hit the portal, load up the ‘23 class and I think have them in a good place. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The recruiting ground in Southern cal is extremely rich and they are losing guys to bama, Ohio state, you name it. There is no reason it should be that way. Right now Elias ricks is in the portal and usc is one of his top 4. He’s from mater dei HS. He will probably end up there now because they finally have a real coach. It might be too late for the ‘22 class that signs in s few weeks but he could flip some kids, hit the portal, load up the ‘23 class and I think have them in a good place. 

That’s definitely true, and I know you have a lot of knowledge on the college game. USC returning to prominence is just the type of thing I’ll believe when I see. Riley has a big job ahead of him to restore the luster of USC. That’s what it’s going to take to land recruits imo. I don’t care who the coach is, there’s no way BYU with a huge recruiting disadvantage should be outperforming USC. It all makes me wonder if there’s deeper issues than what meets the eye. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

That’s definitely true, and I know you have a lot of knowledge on the college game. USC returning to prominence is just the type of thing I’ll believe when I see. Riley has a big job ahead of him to restore the luster of USC. That’s what it’s going to take to land recruits imo. I don’t care who the coach is, there’s no way BYU with a huge recruiting disadvantage should be outperforming USC. It all makes me wonder if there’s deeper issues than what meets the eye. 

Well they don’t have a lot of fan support or culture. That’s an issue, but a lot of kids right now care most about NIL deals and draft position ( understandable but a bit sad)

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

There was a poster here who was crusading that McD was checked out because he was taking that USC job.  It obviously had no basis in fact, but that was his hot take for what was behind the teams various struggles this year.

Thank goodness he didn't get the job. Now he can get his head back in the game.

• Haha (+1) 2

10 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

There was a poster here who was crusading that McD was checked out because he was taking that USC job.  It obviously had no basis in fact, but that was his hot take for what was behind the teams various struggles this year.

Was it the Bigfoot from outer space guy?

Edited by Mark Vader

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There is a lot of uncertainty and little on-field upside for Oklahoma moving into the SEC.   No more cake-walks into playoff contention.  

Riley has a chance to go to USC and dominate recruiting in the west and basically turn them into another version of what Oklahoma has been.

Wow, what a great way to describe the situation and this would appear to be exactly what is likely to happen.

Even this might take a while. As we speak, two of the best QBs in the NCAA are from California but play in the SEC. Also, the best linemen seem to leave the west coast as well.

Riley might not be able to change this with a snap of his fingers.  In my very strong opinion, Sarkisian is a GREAT offensive mind. Maybe the best I have ever seen. He is really struggling in Texas (a state that surprisingly loses some good players too). That said, Sark might just be cleaning house. Is this what is happening down there? 

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.