All-22 Grades for Bills/Colts (The Athletic)

HappyDays

18 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I don't have the Athletic, so I can't read Joe B's review, but I don't get it.  Unless Joe knows the plays and somehow Ford blew his assignments, I can only go by what I saw, and I did not see Ford getting beat on run or pass blocks.  The guys he was blocking did not make the tackles or exert pressures. I only counted two pressures, how many did Joe B have?  What specifically did Joe B say Ford had problems with? 

I don't get it.  I had two pressures for Ford.  I didn't see what Joe B saw.

He breaks down two specific plays with images where Ford is immediately beat by Buckner. Joe doesn't notate exact pressure stats so I can't say for sure what he saw differently from you.

59 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

At Motor's performance so far, he's on pace for 1,000 yards this season if he were to average 12 carries per game. He's averaging 8 carries per game. 

Seems less an inability to run than not wanting to run. 

Moss is bad. Motor should have been getting most of his carries. And Brieda should have been given an opportunity. He needs to get touches moving forward. Our run blocking looked pretty damn good Everytime he ran that ball last week.

The Bills are the FIRST in the NFL in zone blocking, and we have two very good runners for this scheme in Singletary and Brieda. Meanwhile, they're 28th in power blocking, and our power back, Moss, is having a poor season, maybe because he's met in the backfield on most carries. So the solution seems pretty obvious. And yet, for reasons best known to him, Daboll sends in Moss and power-blocking plays. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I think the run D also misses Zimmer.

Interesting that they gave Allen a B grade.  Its what I would have given him but it's also a grade that would have been met with derision in certain quarters on 2BD.

Definitely miss Zimmer. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

There's certainly some element of a "reputation score" for some of these guys. 

Not for Joe Buscaglia. He actually defended Ford after the Jaguars game and said he was better than 3 of his fellow o-linemen. Not saying his word is gospel but he isn't biased.

42 minutes ago, Son of a K-Gun said:

Wow, it feels like Star is closer to 43 than 33.

The bummer here is that it looks like the Bills might need to draft a one-technique d-tackle with their first-round pick, leaving guard to the second round at best. They also will need at least one wide receiver. Let's hope Beane doesn't draft another Ford over another Metcalf this time. 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Top 5 grades:

1) Diggs (B+)

2) Knox (B+)

3) Breida (B+)

4) Allen (B)

5) Davis (B)

Bottom 5 grades (worst to 5th worst):

1) Klein (D)

2) Ford (D+)

3) Johnson (D+)

4) Phillips (D+)

5) Moss (C-)

@HappyDays, I wanted to thank you for the weekly write ups that you do on this. I have an Athletic subscription, but I don’t get to it daily. Your synopsis is a good preview and a reminder to go read the whole article. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, finn said:

The bummer here is that it looks like the Bills might need to draft a one-technique d-tackle with their first-round pick, leaving guard to the second round at best. They also will need at least one wide receiver. Let's hope Beane doesn't draft another Ford over another Metcalf this time. 

They don't need to take a guard round 1, unless Quentin Nelson clone is available in the 20s.

25 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I think the run D also misses Zimmer.

Interesting that they gave Allen a B grade.  Its what I would have given him but it's also a grade that would have been met with derision in certain quarters on 2BD.

Just saw Bills had 7 credited drops in the game. JA was 21/35 with the drops. 28/35 is not bad.😉

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Gross.  Phillips needs to go

I think Phillips is going to join Ford as one of our draft misses.  Part of it, of course, is lack of playing experience.  He's a 4th year player, with the experience of a guy just starting his 3rd year.  But still, you expect more from him at this point.

That's how it goes - a GM who hits on half his draft picks, even in the first 3 rounds, is doing pretty well. 

22 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I don't recall Knox dropping four passes last week.

He had 6 receptions on 10 targets.  I don't have the stomach to go back and find all 4 of the incompletions to see if I feel they were all balls he should have caught.  I know I felt at least 2 of them were "c'mon Dawson you gotta catch those"

19 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Just saw Bills had 7 credited drops in the game. JA was 21/35 with the drops. 28/35 is not bad.😉

Can you tell me where you are finding this info?  Not doubting you, just interested.

The thing about adjusted stats is, all QB have drops.

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He breaks down two specific plays with images where Ford is immediately beat by Buckner. Joe doesn't notate exact pressure stats so I can't say for sure what he saw differently from you.

The only plays I can think of were the bull rush and the rear naked choke.  I guess if you focus on those plays and exclude all else....

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think Phillips is going to join Ford as one of our draft misses.  Part of it, of course, is lack of playing experience.  He's a 4th year player, with the experience of a guy just starting his 3rd year.  But still, you expect more from him at this point.

That's how it goes - a GM who hits on half his draft picks, even in the first 3 rounds, is doing pretty well. 

He had 6 receptions on 10 targets.  I don't have the stomach to go back and find all 4 of the incompletions to see if I feel they were all balls he should have caught.  I know I felt at least 2 of them were "c'mon Dawson you gotta catch those"

Can you tell me where you are finding this info?  Not doubting you, just interested.

The thing about adjusted stats is, all QB have drops.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.