I am not a ESPN fan but Steven A had it right

Sharky7337

3 minutes ago, P Riv said:

Not me, I was just taken back by the idea that the 2001 team wasn't "that" talented when it had 3 HoF'rs on it and other pro-bowl players, all on defense.  

They were talented on D, sure, but every team has talented players. Their offense was very low-talent, though, and the QB was a dump-off artist game manager. Their RB was a relatively slow-footed but big Bills cast off. Their most talented skill player was Troy Freaking Brown, a guy who had a great career but who probably wouldn't have started for most teams given his physical talent level. 

7 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

They were talented on D, sure, but every team has talented players. Their offense was very low-talent, though, and the QB was a dump-off artist game manager. Their RB was a relatively slow-footed but big Bills cast off. Their most talented skill player was Troy Freaking Brown, a guy who had a great career but who probably wouldn't have started for most teams given his physical talent level. 

Agreed, but Belichick wasn't coaching the offense, that was Charlie Weis.  Weis was a brilliant mind by himself and I would say it was him that was responsible for Brady's early development as well as that of Josh McDaniels.  

Hoodie was responsible for how good they were at complimentary football and the emphasis on special teams that most franchises don't have.  It was an outstanding job of coaching, way better than whatever that was last year in a pandemic while in cap purgatory.  

15 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I hate to disagree but Steven is a blowhard.  What does Allen's contract got to do with anything?  Should they have put him in at DT to try to tackle Taylor?

Steven A's analysis here is beyond lazy.  Yesterday's game was all abut the Bills not being physical and the Colts jamming the football down their throats.  Sometimes when I hear this fool talk football I wonder if he actually knows anything about football. 

The issue with Allen's contract is that it should be an issue this season, in that it should have never happened.

I've said all along is that you never want to rush to pay someone big money until they show consistency and prove over multiple season they are who you think they are.

And for Beane to rush and get this deal with Allen done after one great season during the weird Covid year proves without a shadow of a doubt how inept h really is as an NFL GM.

I mean what was the worst case waiting until after the 2021 season? Allen has marginally better numbers than 2020 and you pay him $280 Million instead of $260?? But this will be the move that buries this regime and ensures Beane is fired after 2022 because the pressure to win will be absurb next year for this especially if the Bills stay on their current trajectory to flame out this year.

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1

20 minutes ago, P Riv said:

Agreed, but Belichick wasn't coaching the offense, that was Charlie Weis.  Weis was a brilliant mind by himself and I would say it was him that was responsible for Brady's early development as well as that of Josh McDaniels.  

Hoodie was responsible for how good they were at complimentary football and the emphasis on special teams that most franchises don't have.  It was an outstanding job of coaching, way better than whatever that was last year in a pandemic while in cap purgatory.  

Good points, but I'd add that job #1 of a coach is hiring a good staff. It's why I'll always place Parcells as my number one: he promoted BB to DC and brought him nearly everywhere he went, hired Tom Coughlin, and revived Sean Payton's career after being dumped unfairly by Jim Fassel (the reason, I think, why the latter never got a NFL head coaching job again).   

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

These takes come from the same type of people who would've been crying had Beane let someone like Milano walk out the door. Milano's trash? They're an entirely different defense when he plays. They chose to keep their core team together and some of those dudes are injured right now, simple as that. 

Milano is a good player but your not winning against good teams unless you have difference making players.  Which big plays has he made this season that changed games?

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Good points, but I'd add that job #1 of a coach is hiring a good staff. It's why I'll always place Parcells as my number one: he promoted BB to DC and brought him nearly everywhere he went, hired Tom Coughlin, and revived Sean Payton's career after being dumped unfairly by Jim Fassel (the reason, I think, why the latter never got a NFL head coaching job again).   

Interesting take on Parcels.  I always looked at it like Parcels never climbed the mountain without "little Bill".  Parcels basically fizzled out in Dallas, did little in NE until little Bill showed up at Ass't HC/DC, same thing with the Jets.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, P Riv said:

Interesting take on Parcels.  I always looked at it like Parcels never climbed the mountain without "little Bill".  Parcels basically fizzled out in Dallas, did little in NE until little Bill showed up at Ass't HC/DC, same thing with the Jets.  

Not really. He took over a 1-15 Pats team and had them in the playoffs by 1994; BB joined in 1996. He took over a 1-15 Jets team and got them 9-7 his first season there. BB followed him there too. And bear in mind that he RESCUED Belichick from the scrap heap after the epic flameout in Cleveland. He also took over a 5-11 (three years running) Cowboys team and got them 10-6 his first year with Quincy Freaking Carter. And he took over a 1-15 Dolphins team, hired Sparano, and get them to 11-5 in his first season there.  And he also gave Charlie Weis his first OC job in 1997 with the Jets. It's pretty remarkable. 

I do think it's pretty great that Belichick is 0-2 in SBs against the "other" Parcells assistant, Coughlin. 

Edited by dave mcbride

4 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Yeah- they’ve build a really expensive ‘good’ team that can really lay it on bad QBs and some marginal defenses. 

This is the problem,  you need at least 5-6 difference makers on your team to beat great teams.  Your not winning with a bunch of B level players who lack either size/strength of speed.  Much of this roster are average talent players

If you shut down Diggs then what?  or which pass rusher do other teams need to worry about? Basically it's Josh & Diggs and maybe White

• Agree 1

In other TV talking head news, Cowherd dumped the Bills out of his "Herd Hierarchy".  Maybe for the first time since the 2019 season they're not in his top-10.  Oh well.  Buffalo will probably play better and more focused as they get dissed by national media.  

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Not really. He took over a 1-15 Pats team and had them in the playoffs by 1994; BB joined in 1996. He took over a 1-15 Jets team and got them 9-7 his first season there. BB followed him there too. And bear in mind that he RESCUED Belichick from the scrap heap after the epic flameout in Cleveland. He also took over a 5-11 (three years running) Cowboys team and got them 10-6 his first year with Quincy Freaking Carter. And he took over a 1-15 Dolphins team, hired Sparano, and get them to 11-5 in his first season there.  And he also gave Charlie Weis his first OC job in 1997 with the Jets. It's pretty remarkable. 

I do think it's pretty great that Belichick is 0-2 in SBs against the "other" Parcells assistant, Coughlin. 

True, Coughlin has his number, too bad he's retired.  I remember when Parcells replaced coach Mac of Syracuse fame in NE.  I thought that team had some talent on the roster, but then Parcells cut most of them...lol  I recall he got rid of Hart Lee Dykes who I watched at "Rich Stadium" as a rookie make some ridiculous catches, then injury, then Parcells, then outta the league.  

3 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

The issue with Allen's contract is that it should be an issue this season, in that it should have never happened.

I've said all along is that you never want to rush to pay someone big money until they show consistency and prove over multiple season they are who you think they are.

And for Beane to rush and get this deal with Allen done after one great season during the weird Covid year proves without a shadow of a doubt how inept h really is as an NFL GM.

I mean what was the worst case waiting until after the 2021 season? Allen has marginally better numbers than 2020 and you pay him $280 Million instead of $260?? But this will be the move that buries this regime and ensures Beane is fired after 2022 because the pressure to win will be absurb next year for this especially if the Bills stay on their current trajectory to flame out this year.

There is nothing about Allen's performance to date that makes me think the contract wasn't deserved.  In fact, it seems the Bills are more reliant on Allen then ever before.

If we had done what the Cowboys did with Prescott, which I assume is what you're saying, then in the long run we would pay a lot more for Allen and his cap hit would be much more serious.

A couple of years from now Allen's contract, like Mahomes, will look like a great deal.  And by signing Allen now we avoid all the drama that the Ravens may be setting themselves up for.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, zow2 said:

In other TV talking head news, Cowherd dumped the Bills out of his "Herd Hierarchy".  Maybe for the first time since the 2019 season they're not in his top-10.  Oh well.  Buffalo will probably play better and more focused as they get dissed by national media.  

The Bills are not falling anyone,  they do not have enough play makers and it starters with two average speed RB'S Teams have no worries about giving up a huge running play and Dlineman are just pinning their ears and going hard after Josh.  

Doesnt matter who your QB is Allen, Mahomes, Wilson, or even Brady. Even with weapons if there Oline is trash they all can look mediocre even with the weapons. Whether it's a blown assignment, a penalty, or just getting beat at the line, it all puts more of a load on one guy

4 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

The Bills are not falling anyone,  they do not have enough play makers and it starters with two average speed RB'S Teams have no worries about giving up a huge running play and Dlineman are just pinning their ears and going hard after Josh.  

Most teams in today’s NFL don’t worry too much about giving up “ huge” running plays. 

On 11/22/2021 at 10:41 PM, Bubba Gump said:

I actually did not know they were that slow. I knew they were slugs, but wtf were you thinking Beane?? 

Moss reminds me of a sort of chris ivory. Hes supposed to be a change of pace power back. The thing that gets me about both guys, they are supposed to be physical, but neither is even really big. May as well have signed Jarrett Patterson for this mess.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bubba Gump said:

It doesn't matter when he only gets the ball 5 times a game.

Teams put extra DBs on the field and pass rushers to stop our O.  When we run its unexpected for the most part and against a pass defense, so the running stats are very misleading.  If we ran more, they would most definitely drop in yards per carry and may not even be effective.  We can't run effectively on obvious running downs against a team prepared for it, which is why we completely rely on the passing game.  Our running game is more of a nuisance or gimmick than a threat.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/23/2021 at 8:06 AM, Niagara Dude said:

Exactly, he is a difference maker.  Bills would have been far further ahead letting Milano walk and Iike his game but not a difference maker who you have to gameplan for. We need to stop just paying guy just because they are here,  it has to make sense. One step further,  why is Klein making over 6 million?  good depth guy but not changing games for you. Addison/Butler are two more free agents signings that were overpaid.  Focus in on signing guys that make big plays and then you can surround them with drafted players and lower salary free agents.  Klein/Butler/Addison all making around 6 million each,  better off signing a star for 14-15 million a season then 3 guys who do little of next to nothing.

Absolutely, Milano is poorly spent money for we we get out of him, too many injuries, he had two good years 18 & 19.  Bills management could have done better by letting him walk....  :censored:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.