We’re Sawft: SAWFT!!!!

oldmanfan

Apologies to Big Cass of wrestling fame for borrowing his tag line.  But as much as I think Beane and McD deserve credit for putting together a team that got to the AFC championship game, they have put together a team that will have trouble winning it all in my beloved home town.  Correction:  won’t win.  

Because it’s a soft team.

Back in the heyday of the AFL and the 2 championships, we were tough.  We had Cookie and Billy Joe and Wray Carleton, and guys up front like Billy Shaw.  We exerted our will.  And on D guys like Sestak and Dunaway and Jacobs and Stratton were tough.  They exerted their will.  They were tough.

We all love our Super Bowl teams, we all love Bruce and Jimbo and Thurman.  But they were soft teams.  In each of the SB losses we ultimately got pounded by the other team’s offense, and our offense as electric as it was couldn’t match the defensive intensity and toughness of the opposition.

I fear we’re revisiting the SB years and then some.  We are way too soft.  Way, way too soft.  In the losses this year our O line got shoved around.  They were not a physical match for the opposition, and as a result no run game and Josh got pressured all day.  And our D line?   Any team with a solid running game is going to beat us without Star (and I won’t comment on that as much as I’d love to).  People laughed around draft time when I said I wanted them to draft a big fat tub of goo for the D line.  But they didn’t, and as a result Oliver and the rest of the D line isn’t as effective.  Credit to the Colts but at some point don’t the upfront guys have to summon some pride?

Brandon, Sean, I implore you.  Get back to our halcyon days of ‘64 and ‘65.  Demand toughness.  If the guys you have won’t or can’t get tough, get guys who will.  Get a big RB that’s tough.  Get linemen that can physically compete with the guys across from them.  Tony Dungy just said it on NBC:  you cannot win games in Buffalo this time of year if you cannot run the ball.  Tony knows it.  Lou Saban knew it, knew the value of toughness.   And the guys coaching against us right now know it, and know they can beat us. Because they’re tough.

And we’re soft.  

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Apologies to Big Cass of wrestling fame for borrowing his tag line.  But as much as I think Beane and McD deserve credit for putting together a team that got to the AFC championship game, they have put together a team that will have trouble winning it all in my beloved home town.  Correction:  won’t win.  

Back in the heyday of the AFL and the 2 championships, we were tough.  We had Cookie and Billy Joe and Wray Carleton, and guys up front like Billy Shaw.  We exerted our will.  And on D guys like Sestak and Dunaway and Jacobs and Stratton were tough.  They exerted their will.  They were tough.

We all love our Super Bowl teams, we all love Bruce and Jimbo and Thurman.  But they were soft teams.  In each of the SB losses we ultimately got pounded by the other team’s offense, and our offense as electric as it was couldn’t match the defensive intensity and toughness of the opposition.

I fear we’re revisiting the SB years and then some.  We are way too soft.  Way, way too soft.  In the losses this year our O line got shoved around.  They were not a physical match for the opposition, and as a result no run game and Josh got pressured all day.  And our D line?   Any team with a solid running game is going to beat us without Star (and I won’t comment on that as much as I’d love to).  People laughed around draft time when I said I wanted them to draft a big fat tub of goo for the D line.  But they didn’t, and as a result Oliver and the rest of the D line isn’t as effective.  Credit to the Colts but at some point don’t the upfront guys have to summon some pride?

Brandon, Sean, I implore you.  Get back to our halcyon days of ‘64 and ‘65.  Demand toughness.  If the guys you have won’t or can’t get tough, get guys who will.  Get a big RB that’s tough.  Get linemen that can physically compete with the guys across from them.  Tony Dungy just said it on NBC:  you cannot win games in Buffalo this time of year if you cannot run the ball.  Tony knows it.  Lou Saban knew it, knew the value of toughness.   And the guys coaching against us right now know it, and know they can beat us. Because they’re tough.

And we’re soft.  

Can't even give props to the 90s teams, but cling to the 60s teams. You must be really old.

• Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Buffalo ill said:

I agree the team is not physical enough, and gets bullied by toughguy teams, but bringing up AFL stuff from 60 years ago is silly.

Not if you watched them.  We dominated teams physically back then.

Football has always been and will always be about physically defeating the guy in front of you.  And that demands being tough.  

4 minutes ago, boater said:

Can't even give props to the 90s teams, but cling to the 60s teams. You must be really old.

Try reading.  I said we all loved those SB teams.  But that does not mean we ignore we lost 4 times because we got dominated.

Edited by oldmanfan
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

This team has myriad problems, and problems I didn't expect to see after a great season last season.  You say that they're soft, but what I saw today was a team that loses personnel, gets into a bind during a game, then quits.  Would I call them soft?  They certainly looked it today.  But it looks like whatever they've been building over the past 3 seasons is not looking good.

• Agree 1

Star was missed especially with Oliver showing improvement.  He needs to line up with a true 1 tech on rushing downs.

But ya, we been soft the who McD era. They choose speed over power , have no enforcer on D, very overrated unit versus elite run teams.

I wish he called the plays on D n wasn't involved as heavily on O.

Idk how he dominated the best running team in Baltimore last year in the Divisional round . I guess if we don't sell out on the run , we'll get overeat he'd all day

Edited by JerseyBills

Just now, Groin said:

This team has myriad problems, and problems I didn't expect to see after a great season last season.  You say that they're soft, but what I saw today was a team that loses personnel, gets into a bind during a game, then quits.  Would I call them soft?  They certainly looked it today.  But it looks like whatever they've been building over the past 3 seasons is not looking good.

Quit might be a little strong.  But I get your point.

We used to have a great, TOUGH, guard on this team.  His name was Richie Incognito.

Unfortunately, he then went crazy and/or had some sort of drinking/drug problem and we got rid of him.

If only we had a pair of guards like him on the team now!

espnw_u_incognito1_sy_800.jpg

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

And we’re soft.  

Hey listen Oliver isn't the problem we don't have enough of skill guys up front

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

Star was missed especially with Oliver showing improvement.  He needs to line up with a true 1 tech on rushing downs.

But ya, we been soft the who McD era. They choose speed over power , have no enforcer on D, very overrated unit versus elite run teams.

I wish he called the plays on D n wasn't involved as heavily on O.

Idk how he dominated the best running team in Baltimore last year in the Divisional round . I guess if we don't sell out on the run , we'll get overeat he'd all day

If l heard harlin one more time with the stats about our rankings l think l would of puked

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

We used to have a great, TOUGH, guard on this team.  His name was Richie Incognito.

Unfortunately, he then went crazy and/or had some sort of drinking/drug problem and we got rid of him.

If only we had a pair of guards like him on the team now!

espnw_u_incognito1_sy_800.jpg

We need the reincarnation of Ritchie and Conrad Dobler.

Wyatt Teller is as tough as they come, he was traded for next to nothing and then they draft the ever so "plush" Cody Ford rather than grabbing DK or AJ Brown, both of which were also big time needs.  Hindsight is 20/20 obviously, but with all that's been invested on both fronts between FA, draft capital and extensions, the results are downright abhorrent.

Outside of Josh, what has Beane gotten really right, Diggs, and Taron Johnson and Beasely?  Coaching staff was in place before he got here.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.