11/21 Colts at Bills, Postgame Postmortem Thread

Hapless Bills Fan

2 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

I paid to see that and sit in freezing rain while coach ignores Josh's vigorous pleas to go for it on 4th down and instead sends out the FG unit for an ill-fated and ill-conceived attempt. Yeah, the org did not reward its fans today. I booed McDermott hard for the first time. 

(Brought back terrible memories of booing Marrone for punting in a similar situation years back...just gutless and uninspired.)

Was also reminiscent of McDs wimpy FG try in the AFCCG last January. He’s conservative even when the situation calls for some risk. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

huh? He said that about this game? 

This was a game I would have expected them to really be up for. 

I think McD was talking about the way they played.  Too many mental errors leading to mistakes, penalties etc.  The players were up for the game.  They did not play well and mental errors contributed to their poor play.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Actually McD admitted they were not focused and mentally in the game.  He also said it started with him.  

Yeah he pretty much says every week that the team's lack of discipline and focus starts with him. Wonder when he plans on getting on that.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MPT said:

Yeah he pretty much says every week that the team's lack of discipline and focus starts with him. Wonder when he plans on getting on that.

I don't doubt he's trying but things really go downhill when this team...especially the defense...experiences adversity.

11 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Actually McD admitted they were not focused and mentally in the game.  He also said it started with him.  

Same crap he said after the Pitsburg and Jacksonville games. At some point, you have to conclude the team isn't that good. Enough with the excuses coach...

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

The tone of your post, unfortunately, is NOT the norm. I 100% agree that the team is NOT playing well, and that I don't see easy answers moving forward. I booed the hell out of McDermott's decision to kick that FG today, and I'm definitely pissed at how soft the team looks.

People can post anything they want, of course. No one gets to tell you how to be a fan. But so many indulge hyperbolic negativity and fatalism, and do so repeatedly, and for what? It's kind of lame. 

Maybe it is lame.  I agree.  To post the same negativity over and over probably is lame.  However we are all fans and fans care.  No two people root for a team the exact same way.  I think that when it comes right down to it.. performances like today's are what lights a fire for ME.  The lack of effort, execution and sheer carelessness and bad coaching was simply inexcusable.  It was a ****show.  Some fans just turn the page while others say..  hey hey hold up a second, not so fast.. back up!  Why did this happen?  Who is responsible?  When and how will it be fixed?!  Right now no one knows what to expect from this team from week to week.  Not the fans, players, nor the coaching staff. 

Just now, newcam2012 said:

Same crap he said after the Pitsburg and Jacksonville games. At some point, you have to conclude the team isn't that good. Enough with the excuses coach...

I don't disagree.  I've already reached that conclusion.  I also think Daboll is holding the offense back with his "one size fits all" game planning.

15 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

I paid to see that and sit in freezing rain while coach ignores Josh's vigorous pleas to go for it on 4th down and instead sends out the FG unit for an ill-fated and ill-conceived attempt. Yeah, the org did not reward its fans today. I booed McDermott hard for the first time. 

(Brought back terrible memories of booing Marrone for punting in a similar situation years back...just gutless and uninspired.)

You deserved better.  Our fans are some of the best in all of sports.  Sorry you paid to watch that mess. 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, KeLLy1278 said:

Maybe it is lame.  I agree.  To post the same negativity over and over probably is lame.  However we are all fans and fans care.  No two people root for a team the exact same way.  I think that when it comes right down to it.. performances like today's are what lights a fire for ME.  The lack of effort, execution and sheer carelessness and bad coaching was simply inexcusable.  It was a ****show.  Some fans just turn the page while others say..  hey hey hold up a second, not so fast.. back up!  Why did this happen?  Who is responsible?  When and how will it be fixed?!  Right now no one knows what to expect from this team from week to week.  Not the fans, players, nor the coaching staff. 

Again, you're too damned reasonable to represent the chicken littles I'm annoyingly annoyed with!

43 minutes ago, KeLLy1278 said:

Yes.  How about something like.  

“Right now it’s gut check time.  Everyone needs to re-evaluate what they have been doing for the benefit of the TEAM!  The focus isn’t there, the effort at times is NOT there either and that starts with ME!  We played like we missed a month of practice today and I guarantee that this will not happen again!  I apologize to our fans who paid money to see us today.  Now I need to go back to work and get this team ready for the Saints.  I will not allow losses like this one to define the 2021 Buffalo Bills!”

How about something like that?!

He says it starts with me.

He’s never going to throw his players under the bus like that, and he probably can’t 100% control that it won’t happen again.

40 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Absolutely.

What would that be?

• Like (+1) 1

Wawrow sees it too! This is what I've been saying.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He says it starts with me.

He’s never going to throw his players under the bus like that, and he probably can’t 100% control that it won’t happen again.

What would that be?

See reply of original poster who brought up the point

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Great post. These are the right questions.

I think the underlying assumption that the QB goes into ‘panic mode’ at the first sign of trouble is flawed

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Yeah, to blame this one on the o-line is puzzling. I saw it the same way you did. Cody Ford needs to go but he wasn’t too bad today. Outside of his false start, followed up by Morse’s hold, I didn’t find myself bitching about their play.

Those were two awful penalties, though, that took us from converting.a 3rd down to “out of FG range and scrapping to get into it”

29 minutes ago, BillsDiehard said:

Our "next man up" is practice squad fodder at best! Never addressed o-line depth, RB1 or CB2. We'll maybe beat the Jets and Falcons. Hard to justify a new stadium for an 8-9 football team! 

Agree except for the last part.

For some reason, McBeane thought that simply resigning guys from last year was the ticket. There is no correlation, and as the old saying goes, if you're not getting better you're getting worse

34 minutes ago, BillsDiehard said:

Our "next man up" is practice squad fodder at best! Never addressed o-line depth, RB1 or CB2. We'll maybe beat the Jets and Falcons. Hard to justify a new stadium for an 8-9 football team! 

We're 6-4 and the decision to build a new football stadium is irrelevant to the Bills current performance.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, buffblue said:

Agree except for the last part.

For some reason, McBeane thought that simply resigning guys from last year was the ticket. There is no correlation, and as the old saying goes, if you're not getting better you're getting worse

I honestly can’t fault Beane’s thinking after last year going 13-3 and then 2 playoff wins that we were close and that “keeping the band together” made the most sense. Especially with the cap going down. Now if this year ends up being the shi*show it currently looks like and they either miss the playoffs or are one and done, I would be shocked if there are not major personnel changes by next season. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Billznut said:

I honestly can’t fault Beane’s thinking after last year going 13-3 and then 2 playoff wins that we were close and that “keeping the band together” made the most sense. Especially with the cap going down. Now if this year ends up being the shi*show it currently looks like and they either miss the playoffs or are one and done, I would be shocked if there are not major personnel changes by next season. 

Fair enough, and it better start on the offensive side of the ball. Allen simply shoulders more of the load than any other qb in football.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.