Von Miller to the Rams

gonzo1105

Since we are in our window, and are paying our franchise QB, I'm in favor of trading ANY pick for the right player. Our first round pick is going to be late anyway. If I could get Quinton Nelson for a first I do it in a heartbeat. But, at least get someone who CAN play on the interior OLINE.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

I agree you don't trade away 1st or 2nd rounders unless your getting a stud still under 25,  but no reason why we cannot find a starting level guard for 3rd  or 4th rounder and RB with play making skills and good speed for 5th or 6th rounder

Watch how other teams make moves and we sit around talking about getting better

La'el Collins  cap hit of $6,369,444 and can play both tackle and guard,  maybe we send them Butler (expiring contract) along with a 3rd or 4th rounder.  

I think this is what scares everyone in that this team honesty probably believes that the current glaring holes are magically going to somehow rectify themselves in the coming weeks and stick to 'the run it back' offseason plan.

Sure a guy like Feliciano is going to look serviceable against some of the junk left on the schedule, but then again he was the worst player out there yesterday against a 1-7 Dolphins team who just isn't that good on defense up front.

Also regarding the pass rush, I have no problem letting the younger guys get playing time but we are still struggling to finish on the pass rush front for the most part and DT is still a big need IMO because we truly have nothing behind Oliver and Star.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Nineforty said:

I don't believe the Rams are the class of the NFC. And I don't believe Stafford will get them there. 

And if I'm wrong and they do make it there, and the Bills are there, you are ***** right I'm confident we can beat them with this oline/dline. And who is to say we don't get it figured out by then? Especially in that scenario, we are in the ***** super bowl?!?

That said, I'm not against upgrades and giving up mid to late draft picks for depth (or even a 'blockbuster' for the right player/situation), I just wanted to chime in on the one part of your post that I thought was ludicrous. 

It's not just the Rams, I posted last week about the current NFC landscape looking very strong similar to what older fans observed in the 80's/90's including why the Bills could never get over the hump despite being the most dominant team in the AFC conference.

As of today I just don't feel the Bills match up well against most of the top tier teams in the NFC right now (Rams/Cowboys/Packers/Cardinals/TB).

And for all those saying the Bills have room to improve, yes I agree with this but so do the aforementioned NFC teams who in some cases are already playing at a championship level.

At the end of the day I just feel that Beane needs to truly be bold and make a move that can help this team in the short term even if it's at the expense of quality draft picks and I would still feel that way even if the Bills hadn't struggled yesterday for the greater part of 3 quarters against a 1-7 team.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I bet Von was a "bit surprised" in the trade.  I guess I am too.

So as I see it the Bronco's in essence pay Miller for a season (and evidently were not going to re-sign him) for a 2nd and 3rd no doubt

for a QB draft move.  We will have to see if that move is worth it but it probably is good for them.

Rams get a "free" aging star OLB on a half-year-rental for a 2nd and 3rd who they may not have the money to re-sign next year.

I'm not sure if this is the move that puts them over this year.  I wouldn't like the move if I was a Ram's fan but that is just me.

I guess the Rams do save a lot of money not having to pay a college scouting staff for the next 2 years!  LOL.

Rams 2022 picks:  3,5,7,7.

Rams 2023 picks:  2,3,5,6,6,7.

4 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I think this is what scares everyone in that this team honesty probably believes that the current glaring holes are magically going to somehow rectify themselves in the coming weeks and stick to 'the run it back' offseason plan.

Sure a guy like Feliciano is going to look serviceable against some of the junk left on the schedule, but then again he was the worst player out there yesterday against a 1-7 Dolphins team who just isn't that good on defense up front.

Also regarding the pass rush, I have no problem letting the younger guys get playing time but we are still struggling to finish on the pass rush front for the most part and DT is still a big need IMO because we truly have nothing behind Oliver and Star.

Last year at the deadline i said the lack of a running RB with speed to make big plays in the running and no pass rush would bite the Bills in the playoffs and it did.  Right now i think they corrected pass rush problem or at least improved from last season and biggest issue we have is teams have no respect for our running game and our RB'S.  KC is our title game was leaving Singeltary open most of the game and he had a massive drop on 3rd down.  The guy is to slow,  at least Moss can sometimes run over people.  Singletary scares no one

Ravens are very interested in getting Collins,  Beane cannot let this opportunities pass because some of his key starters are getting older.  Look at our safeties,  both in their 30's or two of our WR'S in their 30's.  

12 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

So this only means that Broncos pay real cash or it also means that they absorb the cap hit?

In other words, do we know what his cap hit will be in Rams this year (and next years, if any)?

Rams pay $700k for him this year.  He is a UFA next year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

I agree you don't trade away 1st or 2nd rounders unless your getting a stud still under 25,  but no reason why we cannot find a starting level guard for 3rd  or 4th rounder and RB with play making skills and good speed for 5th or 6th rounder

Watch how other teams make moves and we sit around talking about getting better

La'el Collins  cap hit of $6,369,444 and can play both tackle and guard,  maybe we send them Butler (expiring contract) along with a 3rd or 4th rounder.  

The other team has to be motivated to make that trade.  The Cowboys are 6-1 and leading the NFC East, and believe they are contenders

-What does Butler give the Cowboys right now, that they need? 

-Depth is critical on OL.  Right now, Collins is good depth for the 'Boys

From the Bills POV:

-Vernon Butler played about half the snaps the first 3 games, then sat for 3 games before injury to Zimmer put him back in the lineup.  So we might spare him, but see above (Depth is critical on DL too)

-La'el Collins has just returned from a 5 game substance abuse suspension.  Sometimes when a player turns to banned stuff, it's because they feel they need them.  Collins missed all of 2020 with injury. So who are we getting?

Fans are all in proposing trades right and left (see what I did?) but they're rare because there's more to them.  Your proposal is actually more reasonable than most - Collins is not starting right now and has some ?, and Dallas is in another conference.

I LOL at all the posts suggesting division or conference rivals (with young hoped-for Franchise Guys to protect at QB) will trade us starting OLmen for a bag of chips and a hot dog.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The other team has to be motivated to make that trade.  The Cowboys are 6-1 and leading the NFC East, and believe they are contenders

-What does Butler give the Cowboys right now, that they need? 

-Depth is critical on OL.  Right now, Collins is good depth for the 'Boys

From the Bills POV:

-Vernon Butler played about half the snaps the first 3 games, then sat for 3 games before injury to Zimmer put him back in the lineup.  So we might spare him, but see above (Depth is critical on DL too)

-La'el Collins has just returned from a 5 game PED suspension.  Sometimes when a player turns to PEDs, it's because they feel they need them.  So who are we getting without the PEDs?

Fans are all in proposing trades right and left (see what I did?) but they're rare because there's more to them.  Your proposal is actually more reasonable than most - Collins is not starting right now and has some ?, and Dallas is in another conference.

I LOL at all the posts suggesting division or conference rivals (with young hoped-for Franchise Guys to protect at QB) will trade us starting OLmen for a bag of chips and a hot dog.

Ravens are targeting him,  no he is not a pro bowl lineman but he is huge upgrade over what we have starting at guard right now.

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

I bet Von was a "bit surprised" in the trade.  I guess I am too.

So as I see it the Bronco's in essence pay Miller for a season (and evidently were not going to re-sign him) for a 2nd and 3rd no doubt

for a QB draft move.  We will have to see if that move is worth it but it probably is good for them.

Rams get a "free" aging star OLB on a half-year-rental for a 2nd and 3rd who they may not have the money to re-sign next year.

I'm not sure if this is the move that puts them over this year.  I wouldn't like the move if I was a Ram's fan but that is just me.

I guess the Rams do save a lot of money not having to pay a college scouting staff for the next 2 years!  LOL.

Rams 2022 picks:  3,5,7,7.

Rams 2023 picks:  2,3,5,6,6,7.

Wow. I guess that’s what “all in” really means. 
I’m generally not a fan of doing this, preferring to do the let’s build a consistent winner thing. But with the Rams, Stafford is clearly the guy they needed and he’s not getting any younger. And as in baseball, some of the big contracts are in line with performance now but will be a drag as players age.  They do have a short window; the future really is now. 
Now as for Vonn: he has literally lost a step or two and hasn’t been the kind of disruptive force this year that he used to be. Fair gamble that he’ll get

some of that back on the Rams defense, particularly if they can rest him and get him healthy for the playoffs. Broncos? They were

going nowhere this year (again) so this is the deal they should’ve made before last season, when Vonn’s value was greater. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Ravens are targeting him,  no he is not a pro bowl lineman but he is huge upgrade over what we have starting at guard right now.

Slight correction.  He *was* a huge upgrade over what we have starting at guard, but that was in 2019.  What is he now?

As for the Ravens targeting him, that seems to be speculation:

https://ebonybird.com/2021/10/30/ravens-lael-collins-trade-target/

56 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Agreed, but they won't do it. Their approach is to be consistently good and be fortunate enough to win one year.

Very poorly stated.  Their goal is indeed to be consistently good; good enough to win the SB in any year.  I've never heard Beane and McD say they "hope" to be "fortunate" to win a SB, or that they would be happy with just one.

That said, there is nothing "wrong" with what the Rams are doing either.  They want to win this year and made a splash move to try and get there.  They do not value future draft picks in the same way as many (most) teams do.  We'll see how it works out for them.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

And if those picks yielded those type of players would that not be an incredible draft?

That's a silly comparison. None of those players listed are young and on rookie contracts. The Rams have control over Miller for 9 games. That's it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.