What are your thoughts on Ed Oliver?

JohnNord

Oliver has had the most impact of anybody on the DL this year, followed by some flash plays by Addison and Groot is playing very solid ball, doing a great job on containment and shedding, but his lack of pass rush moves is holding hime back. 

The sad part is, the line still gets zero pressure by itself, Brady had all day aside from blitz’s.  

Oliver has not lived up to his draft status and if McClappy is going to insist on rotating everyone, he’s never going to, so there’s no point in picking up his option, he’s nothing more than a rotational player, due in large part to his coach’s stupidity. 

• Disagree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, In Summary said:

This. Ed has it all but size. A solid 1T makes both Ed and Edmunds much better.

Phillip, who appears to finally have recovered from his injury problems, is absolutely a solid 1T. Above average the past month, month and a half.

Star might be here next year, but might not. If he's not, yeah, they could easily draft a guy. Assuming he'd be mostly a two-down guy, you could get a good one later.

Ed's been improving consistently all year and really since we got him. He's really good.

Chances of picking up his 5th year option at this point - short of horrendous injury or something - approaches 100%.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 1

On 12/14/2021 at 4:15 AM, HamptonBillsfan said:

Star is back? Star played in 5 games. Star is recovering from Covid. Star suited up for NE and stunk up the field. His best season, I don’t think so. Oliver's been our best lineman.

Yeah, five games for Star.

Well, ten actually, but who's counting? Not everyone.

Star had been having a really good season early. Covid and whatever is happening now have raised major questions, about availability and health moving forward. Hard to say whether Covid affected him or what's going on.

But yeah, Oliver's been our best, definitely.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 1

My take on the defensive tackle position is this:

1. Ed Oliver has been absolutely excellent this year and the second half of this season has been his best run of consistent football as a pro. It is close to a lock to me that the Bills pick up his 5th year option (which according to the Over The Cap projections should be about $10m). That means he is here at least two more seasons and the way his form is trending I suspect the Bills will try and extend him. 

2. Harrison Phillips of the last month is a player worth having. The problem with the decision on Harrison Phillips is that in his four years on the team he has basically played at this level for 2 months in four years. The first month of 2019 before getting hurt and the last month. Other than that there have been flashes of decent play mixed in with a lot of JAG level play and a couple of healthy scratch moments. The question is how much are the Bills willing to believe that what they see now is the truth and how much is Harrison willing to acknowledge that he hasn't put enough on tape to justify a big payday and therefore work out a deal that works for the team?

3. Star's future with the Bills may well be dependant on the outcome of that Harrison decision. I believe that when they restructured his deal two years ago the Bills always planned for 2021 to be his final season on the team. But then covid happened and he opted out and it delayed his contract by a year. So the year where getting out is cheap as chips is actually next year. That said they can save $4.25m on next year's cap by cutting Star and designating him as a post June cut. If they extend Harrison then I expect that to happen. If they don't then I think Star stays because losing both 1techs in the same offseason and leaving the cupboard bare doesn't look an attractive option. 

4. Vernon Butler is a FA and will not be back. Justin Zimmer is an RFA (but the minimum tender is looking like being $2.4m) so his future is in doubt coming off the injury. Eli Ankou is out of his depth at the moment on an NFL field. So unless the Bills want to extend Obada and/or convert Basham into a full time interior player they are going to have at least two spots at the position to fill. Could they come to an agreement on a longer term deal with Zimmer that gives him the $2.4m he would get as an RFA but spreads it out for cap purposes? Possibly. But they are going to need to replenish this room in the offseason IMO. And based on the last few weeks the drop off from when Ed and Harrison are on the field to when any other combination is has been scary. 

My ideal scenario for the offseason?

1. Pick up Ed's option

2. Sign Harrison to a 3 year extension that averages $3.5m a year but keeps the 2022 hit down and allows the Bills an out after the first year but gets him to some bigger numbers if the Bills hold onto him beyond that

3. Release Star as a post June 1 cut

4. Find a way to bring Zimmer back cheaply

5. Draft a defensive tackle in the first 4 rounds of the draft and potentially double dip with one of our additional late day 3 picks. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

1. Ed Oliver has been absolutely excellent this year and the second half of this season has been his best run of consistent football as a pro. It is close to a lock to me that the Bills pick up his 5th year option (which according to the Over The Cap projections should be about $10m). That means he is here at least two more seasons and the way his form is trending I suspect the Bills will try and extend him. 

2. Harrison Phillips of the last month is a player worth having. The problem with the decision on Harrison Phillips is that in his four years on the team he has basically played at this level for 2 months in four years. The first month of 2019 before getting hurt and the last month. Other than that there have been flashes of decent play mixed in with a lot of JAG level play and a couple of healthy scratch moments. The question is how much are the Bills willing to believe that what they see now is the truth and how much is Harrison willing to acknowledge that he hasn't put enough on tape to justify a big payday and therefore work out a deal that works for the team?

3. Star's future with the Bills may well be dependant on the outcome of that Harrison decision. I believe that when they restructured his deal two years ago the Bills always planned for 2021 to be his final season on the team. But then covid happened and he opted out and it delayed his contract by a year. So the year where getting out is cheap as chips is actually next year. That said they can save $4.25m on next year's cap by cutting Star and designating him as a post June cut. If they extend Harrison then I expect that to happen. If they don't then I think Star stays because losing both 1techs in the same offseason and leaving the cupboard bare doesn't look an attractive option. 

4. Vernon Butler is a FA and will not be back. Justin Zimmer is an RFA (but the minimum tender is looking like being $2.4m) so his future is in doubt coming off the injury. Eli Ankou is out of his depth at the moment on an NFL field. So unless the Bills want to extend Obada and/or convert Basham into a full time interior player they are going to have at least two spots at the position to fill. Could they come to an agreement on a longer term deal with Zimmer that gives him the $2.4m he would get as an RFA but spreads it out for cap purposes? Possibly. But they are going to need to replenish this room in the offseason IMO. And based on the last few weeks the drop off from when Ed and Harrison are on the field to when any other combination is has been scary. 

1. Pick up Ed's option

2. Sign Harrison to a 3 year extension that averages $3.5m a year but keeps the 2022 hit down and allows the Bills an out after the first year but gets him to some bigger numbers if the Bills hold onto him beyond that

5. Draft a defensive tackle in the first 4 rounds of the draft and potentially double dip with one of our additional late day 3 picks. 

💯 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/19/2021 at 10:32 PM, gobills404 said:

He's been great against the run for the most part this year but he's still so incredibly underwhelming as a pass rusher for a 3T with such rare athleticism.

Oliver faces more double teams than almost any other 3T. Offenses fear him. 

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

1. Pick up Ed's option

This! ^

Just now, Max Fischer said:

Ya he is starting to become a game wrecker with his speed and penetration.  Took him longer than we wanted but put a big man beside him and he will excel

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

And they fear him because he can wreck drives single handed. There was a key drive in the AFCCG last year when Ed blew up the pocket on 1st, 2nd and 3rd down. Only for the Chiefs to go for it on 4th and 8 or something and Mahomes to convert with his legs. The latest example was the drive right after Josh's 3rd pick on Sunday. Ed Oliver made all 3 plays on that series and then Arthur Smith made the 4th down play by punting from the 32. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

And they fear him because he can wreck drives single handed. There was a key drive in the AFCCG last year when Ed blew up the pocket on 1st, 2nd and 3rd down. Only for the Chiefs to go for it on 4th and 8 or something and Mahomes to convert with his legs. The latest example was the drive right after Josh's 3rd pick on Sunday. Ed Oliver made all 3 plays on that series and then Arthur Smith made the 4th down play by punting from the 32. 

Agree, Oliver’s skill, production and game changing play are nearly irreplaceable. I can’t tell if fans don’t understand, aren’t really watching him, never research their beliefs and-or are just attention seeking trolls. 

On 12/13/2021 at 2:49 PM, BillMafia716ix said:

As it stands right now. Ed Oliver is our best down lineman and I don’t think it’s close. 

Narrator: It’s not remotely close 

14 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

He is not an NFL Superstar. If you get that thought out of your head you will appreciate him more.

It’s a good bet Oliver will continue to improve. If the Bills can get a consistent 1Tech who attracts double teams more often, Oliver could be a consistent Pro Bowl candidate. As it is, teams can, and need to, double up Oliver. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

1. Pick up Ed's option

6.  Figure out who this 'Edwards' guy is that many refer to. 🤔

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, five games for Star.

Well, ten actually, but who's counting? Not everyone.

Star had been having a really good season early. Covid and whatever is happening now have raised major questions, about availability and health moving forward. Hard to say whether Covid affected him or what's going on.

But yeah, Oliver's been our best, definitely.

The fact that he dressed for 10 doesn't mean he contributed to anything good. He sucked up a roster spot and when we needed him most, he was nowhere. Sympathy for any personal problems aside, we need committed, balls to the wall grinders, if we expect to advance to the SB. Oliver and Harry, play hurt and keep on coming. They will lead us into the playoffs.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.