LAMP: Why I am who I am

Giuseppe Tognarelli

This post is strictly about me and why I approach things the way I do. Some people call me a troll, and that really gets under my skin because I am as big of a Bills fan as there is. I'm sure this post will get locked, moved, and/or deleted, but I want to give people a brief chance to understand who "Giuseppe Tognarelli" really is.

My life has revolved around the Bills since I was a little kid. I'm 33. I'm just young enough to not remember any of the Super Bowls; my first memory is the @ Miami game in '94. What a game that was. Just awesome.

Despite never living in or having any association with Buffalo, I was a loyal diehard during the drought, being constantly laughed at and harassed by Steelers fans. My brother and I cried when Lindell missed that field goal against the Browns on MNF (and when the Cowboys made theirs). As a young teenager, I DESTROYED my room when the Bills lost to the Steelers in '04. I was overconfident and sure we'd win and go to the playoffs, and the anger and disappointment broke me.

I took to expecting the worst and talking myself through it in advance because I couldn't handle the pain of disappointment that occurred so often when the Bills snatched defeat from the jaws of victory during those years. In my family, I became known as the utter diehard but also the realist and the pessimist.

From the age of 15 I was highly active on the BBMB every day. I eventually became a season ticket holder and drove 5 hours up and 5 hours back every Sunday. I am not a troll.

I still struggle to handle the pain of disappointment if I let myself get too excited or confident about the Bills' chances. I care too much. I try to be super realistic in my views but sometimes lean more towards the pessimistic because it is a protective mechanism. I genuinely feel bad for fans who fall super hard because I know how hard that has been for me in the past, so I think I feel a need to prepare other fans in hopes that I'll help them see bad things coming so they don't fall as hard if we lose. That's where I'm coming from. And, sometimes, I just spill my anxieties. I'm not a troll.

I know I have issues. But I care about the Bills more than any healthy person should and more than anyone I've ever known. All I want is to see a Super Bowl win. It's literally my greatest wish in life, as screwed up as that is. I'm not a troll. I worry about stupid crap because I care SO much.

Go Bills.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 8
  • Dislike 1

Just now, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Hope you take this advice in good faith - It's awesome to care about the Bills.  I care too.  Sundays at 1:00 in the Autumn are amazing.  But if the most important thing in your life is something that you have no control over, pick something else that you have control over.

Sage advice!

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

This post is strictly about me and why I approach things the way I do. Some people call me a troll, and that really gets under my skin because I am as big of a Bills fan as there is. I'm sure this post will get locked, moved, and/or deleted, but I want to give people a brief chance to understand who "Giuseppe Tognarelli" really is.

My life has revolved around the Bills since I was a little kid. I'm 33. I'm just young enough to not remember any of the Super Bowls; my first memory is the @ Miami game in '94. What a game that was. Just awesome.

Despite never living in or having any association with Buffalo, I was a loyal diehard during the drought, being constantly laughed at and harassed by Steelers fans. My brother and I cried when Lindell missed that field goal against the Browns on MNF (and when the Cowboys made theirs). As a young teenager, I DESTROYED my room when the Bills lost to the Steelers in '04. I was overconfident and sure we'd win and go to the playoffs, and the anger and disappointment broke me.

I took to expecting the worst and talking myself through it in advance because I couldn't handle the pain of disappointment that occurred so often when the Bills snatched defeat from the jaws of victory during those years. In my family, I became known as the utter diehard but also the realist and the pessimist.

From the age of 15 I was highly active on the BBMB every day. I eventually became a season ticket holder and drove 5 hours up and 5 hours back every Sunday. I am not a troll.

I still struggle to handle the pain of disappointment if I let myself get too excited or confident about the Bills' chances. I care too much. I try to be super realistic in my views but sometimes lean more towards the pessimistic because it is a protective mechanism. I genuinely feel bad for fans who fall super hard because I know how hard that has been for me in the past, so I think I feel a need to prepare other fans in hopes that I'll help them see bad things coming so they don't fall as hard if we lose. That's where I'm coming from. And, sometimes, I just spill my anxieties. I'm not a troll.

I know I have issues. But I care about the Bills more than any healthy person should and more than anyone I've ever known. All I want is to see a Super Bowl win. It's literally my greatest wish in life, as screwed up as that is. I'm not a troll. I worry about stupid crap because I care SO much.

Go Bills.

I vote that you are allowed to decide where the new stadium is located and whether it is open air or domed.    :)

• Haha (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Perfect!!!

OK wait.....you @Giuseppe Tognarelli agreed to this post.  Are you bipolar????  Are you perhaps off your meds???  Come on dude....pack it up and get it together!

I have no issue whatsoever with being told that I need perspective. I think that's probably true.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Many of us on this board have a few years on you.  I've been a Bills fan since the days of Lou Saban.  Each year I hope for the best but realize the worst is always a distinct possibility.  Still I cheer.  I take a realistic approach and try to maintain perspective.  If the Bills win, I'm happy.  If they lose, Mondays are a bit bluer.  But life will go on and so will the Bills.  In the meantime, I try not to rain on anyone's parade.  If the Bills aren't invincible, neither is any other team.  Enjoy your team.  Enjoy the sport.  And take the sage advice of SageAgainsttheMachine.

I'm 35, my dad said when I was 2 I would walk up to the TV and always touch the bills logo whenever they were on. He tried making me a die-hard raider fan but he failed. I remember crying to the 2 cowboys Superbowls, then just years of sadness and disappointment. The team means a ton to me and one of the best things in life is driving to orchard park for the game. I will be honest though, after having a son they have become a bit less important and if they lose it really hurts but it's okay because I have him and my wife. Don't get too hung up on any sport to where it makes things unhealthy for you. But I'm right with you brother. Trust me, I hear ya. Let's. Go. Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1