Thurs nite football: Jaguars at Bengals

Just now, mannc said:

I haven’t seen the Bengals until last night.  Was the pass pro that bad in their first three games, or did Jags’ D just have a good game?

The first two weeks it was even worse - Burrow was sacked 5 times against both the Vikings and the Bears. It actually held up well against Pittsburgh for the most part but they were without Watt and their other edge guy whose name escapes me. They are second to only the Jets in sacks given up. How it was only 1 last night is a miracle because he was running for his life first half. 

11 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Nothing wrong with going for it, but if you are running a QB sneak you don't do it from shotgun.  Meyer should go back to college.

I kept yelling at the TV, "you're at the 1/2 yard line, why are yo giving 5 yards to the defense to work with on a QB sneak!" Let's see, QB sneak from the 1/2 yd line or a QB run from the 5 yd. line? Hmmm, pretty easy decision for me. But, it's Urban, so I was actually happy. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

There's a lot of Urban Meyer hate (or I guess Urban Meyer schadenfreude) going around. And certainly Urban Meyer's demeanor is playing into that.

But ... when I see the Jags today, I can't help but see the Bills c. Sept-October 2018. They may just be on the right track without anyone recognizing it.

And Joe Burrow: for me, he's now dispelled the lack of arm strength thing. I can't tell if he's Peyton or Eli yet, but still ...

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

There's a lot of Urban Meyer hate (or I guess Urban Meyer schadenfreude) going around. And certainly Urban Meyer's demeanor is playing into that.

But ... when I see the Jags today, I can't help but see the Bills c. Sept-October 2018. They may just be on the right track without anyone recognizing it.

And Joe Burrow: for me, he's now dispelled the lack of arm strength thing. I can't tell if he's Peyton or Eli yet, but still ...

The way Burrow throws the ball, he reminds me of Montana... I don't think I've ever compared someone to Joe Cool before.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

The way Burrow throws the ball, he reminds me of Montana... I don't think I've ever compared someone to Joe Cool before.

That's one of the things people often get wrong about arm strength vs. being a good long ball passer. Allen (so far) has the first one, which gives him a huge advantage on a lot of shorter routes and when throwing on the run, including across his body. But he doesn't have that almost instinctive feel for how to connect on the long bomb.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Friday morning reflections:

- Slow the horses on the Trevor Lawrence hate which was strong after last weekend. The kid is supremely talented. He is going to be just fine. The Jags still need to put more pieces around him but he had a real good night and hard to put any of this defeat on him.

- I thought the Jags got the rough end of the penalty deal. Especially on that final drive. One of those hands to the face penalties felt very bogus and the shot of Urban on the sideline he looked bemused and furious in equal measure. That might have been the moment the penny dropped - no Buckeye Benefits anymore coach!

- The reason the Bengals could get almost nothing going first half was because yet again - they couldn't protect Burrow. Nice adjustment at half time to go to the quick passing game, lots of slants and shallow crossers second half but this rather goes back to the debate around draft time.... Chase is a great receiver but second half he almost disappeared because the short game meant more Boyd out of the slot and use of the Tight End. The Bengals should have prioritised blocking over pass catching for me. 

- Think fair play to the Bengals defense which is much improved. I was quite harsh on Lou Anorumo last year as their DC but they are currently top 10 in yards and points per game given up without really making lots of big high profile additions. It is guys like Eli Apple and Trae Waynes, other people's trash and getting really solid play out of Logan Wilson and Akeem Gaither-Davis two mid-round linebackers from their 2020 draft class. 

- Still not sure Cincy are a playoff team as it stands but they could give Baltimore or Cleveland a shock loss or two this year that muddles up that playoff picture. Punchy team. If they can just get a couple of improvements on the offensive line and maybe one top level corner this team could make some noise next year.  

Reasonable take.

I thought Bengals D played the first half like they forgot Lawrence has legs (and knows how to use them)

In the 2nd half they wised up and made life harder, but I still think the Bengals D needs a step.

So the Bengals def. need to stop trying to protect the “Franchise” with other team’s discard pile on OL

I watched two evenly matched mediocre teams last night.  I think the Bengals are good enough to ascend into the perpetual 7-9 (now 7-10) trap, good enough to give their fans delusions but not bad enough to get top draft picks.  The Jags will not be far behind.  Another year of bottom feeding and they too will ascend into that no-man's land.  

We know that place well, having lived there for so long.  

The Bengals only real hope is to try to improve gradually while the other teams in their division get old and slow, but both Cleveland and Baltimore are at least a year or two from falling off that cliff.  Cincy in, say, 2023 or 2024 makes sense, if they can get some help on their O line.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Utah John said:

I watched two evenly matched mediocre teams last night.  I think the Bengals are good enough to ascend into the perpetual 7-9 (now 7-10) trap, good enough to give their fans delusions but not bad enough to get top draft picks.  The Jags will not be far behind.  Another year of bottom feeding and they too will ascend into that no-man's land.  

We know that place well, having lived there for so long.  

The Bengals only real hope is to try to improve gradually while the other teams in their division get old and slow, but both Cleveland and Baltimore are at least a year or two from falling off that cliff.  Cincy in, say, 2023 or 2024 makes sense, if they can get some help on their O line.

The main difference is Bengals have their QB. A couple years of 7-10 could still help them improve. Their main problem now is the rest of their division.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Yeah which is why things are probably going to be rougher for Burrow this year than either of them, though Herbert is probably at least neck and neck with Lamar if not out right QB3 in the AFC

I'd bet every GM in the league would take Herbert over Lamar Jackson if given the choice. I bet at least half would prefer Burrow.

19 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Beane's intention was to PS him.  Obviously he preferred a chance to get on someone's 53.

Not true. Beane said the day of releases they have chosen to go with guys at other positions over him and they did so fully in the knowledge he would sign to a 53 somewhere else. 

14 hours ago, Utah John said:

I think Cincy could get there sooner if they can find some oline help. It's why I'd have taken the tackle last draft. They might be forced this year to look in the FA pool which is an issue because the Bengals famously do not like to pay free agents.