9/26/21 Bills vs. WTF Postgame Thread

Chandler#81

7 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

1. You are missing the point with the times. The questioning if Allen is or will regress is a valid one; especially, after his first 2 games of the season. Time will tell and surely you would agree one good game at home vs a porous Wash D isn't the end all to the debate.

What are you debating?

*  That Allen is or isn't a franchise QB?  IMO there is no debate here - he is the Bills franchise QB.

*  That Allen is a top 10 QB?  Again IMO there is no debate here.  He is a top 10 QB.  Now I also think he's a top 5 QB but that is a reasonable place for debate.

And for the record Allen didn't play poorly in the first two games.  He was average.  And if he's only average through an entire season then yes we have cause for concern.  But after two games there was no reason for anyone to get down on Allen and the offense.

• Thank you (+1) 2

On 9/26/2021 at 5:18 PM, GoBills808 said:

For how talented WASH defensive line is, they had an astonishingly ineffectual gameplan to stop Allen, took some really bad angles and he just slips past

Agreed. Did they watch Allen tape at all? They allowed him to roll out and step up. He lives for that lol

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

I still chuckle at those who said 300 yards wasn’t a fair measuring stick what TT was playing here. 

Football Team :bag: is so proper 

who would want their location associated with it

😂

Chuckle huh??

I admit I kind of get annoyed at these overly-simplistic correlation/causation stats and the conclusions folks come to when we don't hit those.

I get annoyed only because it leads to those hoards of fairweather fans that lay too much offensive blame or success at the feet of Allen's passing stats ignoring the nuances of complimentary football and strategic game planning.

Last year we were ridiculously slanted towards a pass-first/pass-heavy offense with empty sets and most defenses tried to counter that by blitzing and bringing 5 rushers and playing a mix of zone and man behind that.

Allen had a lot of success passing against those defenses and the offense was clicking - finding success, completions, and our team was likely winning those games. 

Then defenses changed the way they played us. Rushing 4 and dropping everyone else into coverage and our offensive production stalled.

However, we won in lopsided fashion in Miami last week without Allen hitting the magic 300 yards, so how did that statistical outlier happen?

We did it operating out of 11 personnel, with hard running that extended drives and also found the end zone, and by playing complimentary football.

That 11 personnel run/pass balance strategy keeps defenses honest, slows down the pass rush giving Allen more time, forces them out of dropping 7 into shell coverage, keeps Allen upright, puts one more potential blocker in the backfield, helps extend drives and win the TOP stat, it also opens up play action for deeper shots.

If defensive coordinators have to account for the Bills run game, that makes this offense that much more effective down the stretch against those teams with better front 4's that stand between our Bills and a championship.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Isn’t it so nice to have four solid guys at WR where you can always give one a rest with only a couple of any snaps in a week and you use the other three.  We are playing in the last two games more balanced football using the RB’s and Knox either in blocking or the occasional target.  It’s perfect and with the talent hard to defend.

Last year we went so much four wide, second only to AZ, I think that’s a mistake this year.  If I had to prioritize, I love 11 the most, 21 second, and 10 only when there is a clear advantage, but still keeping the RB in to chip and be the outlet.  Stay the hell away from empty sets.

Beane does an amazing job of identifying our weaknesses and quickly turning those weaknesses to strengths.  

• Agree 1

With all the grief we piled onto the o-line the first few weeks it is only fair to acknowledge when they elevate their game.

Pretty solid game all around - Williams draws some fierce pass rushers so a lot is riding on his play, but I felt he created space - often riding Sweat deep and out of the picture. Our interior o-line had a gritty performance and did a lot of unsung things both allowing Allen to step up and/or around the rush, and opening running lanes. Dawkins is gradually getting back to lockdown performance on Allen's blind side.

Not that they have not played hard or been effective individually here and there in fits and starts, but they needed to play much better as a unit and they did. 

Nice job guys.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

Agreed. Did they watch Allen tape at all? They allowed him to roll out and step up. He lives for that lol

I said the same thing during the game. It’s like they had no idea that Allen likes to step up and roll to his right. Strange because you could tell Miami and Pittsburgh were focused on that.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, WideNine said:

Chuckle huh??

I admit I kind of get annoyed at these overly-simplistic correlation/causation stats and the conclusions folks come to when we don't hit those.

I get annoyed only because it leads to those hoards of fairweather fans that lay too much offensive blame or success at the feet of Allen's passing stats ignoring the nuances of complimentary football and strategic game planning.

Last year we were ridiculously slanted towards a pass-first/pass-heavy offense with empty sets and most defenses tried to counter that by blitzing and bringing 5 rushers and playing a mix of zone and man behind that.

Allen had a lot of success passing against those defenses and the offense was clicking - finding success, completions, and our team was likely winning those games. 

Then defenses changed the way they played us. Rushing 4 and dropping everyone else into coverage and our offensive production stalled.

However, we won in lopsided fashion in Miami last week without Allen hitting the magic 300 yards, so how did that statistical outlier happen?

We did it operating out of 11 personnel, with hard running that extended drives and also found the end zone, and by playing complimentary football.

That 11 personnel run/pass balance strategy keeps defenses honest, slows down the pass rush giving Allen more time, forces them out of dropping 7 into shell coverage, keeps Allen upright, puts one more potential blocker in the backfield, helps extend drives and win the TOP stat, it also opens up play action for deeper shots.

If defensive coordinators have to account for the Bills run game, that makes this offense that much more effective down the stretch against those teams with better front 4's that stand between our Bills and a championship.

Allen was missing open throws he usually makes in that Miami game.  The wheel route to Singletary.  The interception to Diggs on the slant route.  Under throwing Sanders in the end zone.  All were do to poor mechanics. Chalking it up to a different game plan than usual shouldn’t let him off the hook.  Allen knows that and self corrected this week.

Edited by Doc Brown

2 hours ago, WideNine said:

With all the grief we piled onto the o-line the first few weeks it is only fair to acknowledge when they elevate their game.

Pretty solid game all around - Williams draws some fierce pass rushers so a lot is riding on his play, but I felt he created space - often riding Sweat deep and out of the picture. Our interior o-line had a gritty performance and did a lot of unsung things both allowing Allen to step up and/or around the rush, and opening running lanes. Dawkins is gradually getting back to lockdown performance on Allen's blind side.

Not that they have not played hard or been effective individually here and there in fits and starts, but they needed to play much better as a unit and they did. 

Nice job guys.

Agree. Not sure why all the gloom and doom about the Bills Oline. It's only 3 games and last game was much improved. It's a long season and they should be very good come crunch time. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

What are you debating?

*  That Allen is or isn't a franchise QB?  IMO there is no debate here - he is the Bills franchise QB.

*  That Allen is a top 10 QB?  Again IMO there is no debate here.  He is a top 10 QB.  Now I also think he's a top 5 QB but that is a reasonable place for debate.

And for the record Allen didn't play poorly in the first two games.  He was average.  And if he's only average through an entire season then yes we have cause for concern.  But after two games there was no reason for anyone to get down on Allen and the offense.

Fair question. I wasnt debating if Allen is a franchise QB or a top tier QB. No doubt he is the future of the Bills. I'm glad he is the Bills QB. 

I was trying to say he may be regressing and used the last 2-4 games as examples, may not play up to last year's level, has a short sample of games that reflect greatness, and he did play poorly in the first 2 games.

Of course you and others disagree with much of my points. I'm ok with that. The counter arguments are valid but no means evidence that my points aren't correct. The evidence will be presented on the field. The Washington game certainly put a great dent into my points. No one is more happier about that then me. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Dislike 1

32 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Allen was missing open throws he usually makes in that Miami game.  The wheel route to Singletary.  The interception to Diggs on the slant route.  Under throwing Sanders in the end zone.  All were do to poor mechanics. Chalking it up to a different game plan than usual shouldn’t let him off the hook.  Allen knows that and self corrected this week.

In the breakdown that Kubiak did of that game he explained how the slant to Diggs was likely a broken play based on how the oline was releasing and setting up for a screen and that likely caused the confusion and late delivery.

"It appeared that either Daboll had his left side of the line releasing for a screen to make the Dolphins defensive linemen react differently, or something else was crossed up on the play that made Allen hesitate on his delivery. "

I do recommend that folks give that Kubiak article a read before rushing to make judgements and dismissing the role of better game planning or understanding the smart, patient game Allen actually played.

Folks do still hyper-focus on every incomplete Allen pass - a habit fans got into early with how raw and inaccurate he was coming out of Wyoming and it continues today - heck I catch myself still doing it.

All QBs miss passes they should make...happens every week and even more so if they are forced off their spot and timing by pressures.

I think Bills fans are conditioned to expect failure and it is far easier to expect Allen and the franchise to crash back down to earth than to believe and accept that this franchise has turned the corner and finally found their QB.

This fragility of faith was on full display after week one.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Fair question. I wasnt debating if Allen is a franchise QB or a top tier QB. No doubt he is the future of the Bills. I'm glad he is the Bills QB. 

I was trying to say he may be regressing and used the last 2-4 games as examples, may not play up to last year's level, has a short sample of games that reflect greatness, and he did play poorly in the first 2 games.

Of course you and others disagree with much of my points. I'm ok with that. The counter arguments are valid but no means evidence that my points aren't correct. The evidence will be presented on the field. The Washington game certainly put a great dent into my points. No one is more happier about that then me. 

Actually, your points are NOT correct. Ever.

• Eyeroll 1

13 hours ago, vincec said:

I said the same thing during the game. It’s like they had no idea that Allen likes to step up and roll to his right. Strange because you could tell Miami and Pittsburgh were focused on that.

It's like that Seahawks game from last year where Carroll came out after the game and said he expected the Bills to run. Allen had the same performance that day as well. Carroll and Rivera are vet coaches, weird game plans against Allen.