"If Allen Plays Like Crap This Week, Accept that He's Simply Not Good

FilthyBeast
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan,

For the reading and discussing pleasure of those who wish to hypothesize that 2 or 3 games outweigh a full season as a sample set, Congratulations!  You have won your very own thread using the "magic" of the moderator "Split" function

For the reading and discussing pleasure of those who wish to discuss the upcoming game, let's try to keep the Week 3 WFT thread at least loosely on topic

Enjoy!

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

Josh has said himself he is not playing well. Can we stop with the "he is fine" its all on the OL? The OL has played ok not great. Allen is playing well below is expectations, more than the OL. You talk about watching the game. Go watch every throw. He is missing more than he should. I expect within a few weeks he will have this figured out and then you can watch the film for those games compare to the last two and it will be night and day with the same OL play. Its ok to admit he is off. It happens. 

I never said he was perfect, I said the OL has been atrocious.  Most of us acknowledge there are some things Josh can do better, while others are saying it’s all Josh.  

Watch the games.  The OL has been the worst unit on this team for 2 straight weeks, and it’s not even debatable.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Well, they watch every snap and grade every player, in every single game. 

So, its one measure. 

For instance, Herbert only has 2 TDs and 3 Interceptions on the year. On the surface Allen has better production. But you've watched Herbert laser footballs this season out of the pocket. Hence the grade is higher. 

This is the same group of analytical masters that ranked Allen as the 22nd best QB entering 2020.  Behind Fitz, Baker, Wentz, Goff, CAM NEWTON, etc.  Guess their observations were a little off on that one?  They might have a little bit of bias in scoring Allen low. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-quarterback-rankings-all-32-starters-entering-the-2020-nfl-season

• Thank you (+1) 3

3 hours ago, ngbills said:

Josh has said himself he is not playing well. Can we stop with the "he is fine" its all on the OL? The OL has played ok not great. Allen is playing well below is expectations, more than the OL. You talk about watching the game. Go watch every throw. He is missing more than he should. I expect within a few weeks he will have this figured out and then you can watch the film for those games compare to the last two and it will be night and day with the same OL play. Its ok to admit he is off. It happens. 

It is a team game. and the Offense needs to improve as whole.
Josh was waaay off against Steelers and less waaay off against Dolphins

Is that better  :)

cuz those are both true imho

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And no that wasn’t a “sure TD”, though it would have been a contest

I suppose Sanders could have dropped the ball. Or Allen could have overthrown or underthrown. But that was as sure of a TD as it gets in the NFL. There is not a safety in the league who would be able to get to Sanders before the ball did.

Edited by Einstein

PFF has Allen as 28th heading into week 3. I don’t have the subscription so I can’t see the notes. 

Seems low. But not wildly low if you just

look at those two games aside from 2020. 

I think he’ll be fine. He’s pressing too hard at the moment. But I also think he deserves honest criticism for how bad he’s been. It’s part of the territory for a franchise QB. 

14 minutes ago, Golden said:

The post seems like an over reaction.  Even if JA continues to not get into a flow against the WFT, 3 games does not make a season or a career for that matter.    
      Perhaps let’s look @ where he is game 16 of this season. 

That's the kind of take you would typically have on a rookie or second year starter, not a franchise QB worth 258 million.  If I'm not producing results at work I get held accountable and told to turn it around.....rapidly.  My boss doesn't say "hey, don't sweat it, lets see where you are at week 52."

Its not that I suck at my job or I've regressed, it's because I get paid to produce results and not come up with excuses about the marketing dept. not doing there job or communication from accounting is poor.  

I’m not worried about Josh’s performance the first two games as much as I haven’t liked his body language when things haven’t gone right. 

When Josh was progressing, I liked seeing when he’d make plays late after he didn’t have a great overall game to that point. 

It felt like he thought the game was over during the 4th quarter against the Steelers that’s what’s probably bugged me the most so far. 

Someone in another thread had a great line the other day about how for probably the first time, Josh is one of the hunted instead of one of the hunters. Maybe that has something to do with what we saw from him…but I hope it’s just something he just has to get used to because I don’t want to get used to seeing that look from him. 

15 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

That's the kind of take you would typically have on a rookie or second year starter, not a franchise QB worth 258 million.  If I'm not producing results at work I get held accountable and told to turn it around.....rapidly.  My boss doesn't say "hey, don't sweat it, lets see where you are at week 52."

Its not that I suck at my job or I've regressed, it's because I get paid to produce results and not come up with excuses about the marketing dept. not doing there job or communication from accounting is poor.  

The title of the post says “ If JA plays like crap this week, accept that he’s simply not good”

My response is in context to the title of the post.  Yours is not. 

27 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

dude won the game 35-0.  It would be weird for the boss to be over the top upset and start questioning his own investment cause the stat line wasn’t flashy.  

3 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

dude won the game 35-0.  It would be weird for the boss to be over the top upset and start questioning his own investment cause the stat line wasn’t flashy.  

Not really, not if I'm compensated at a level that is indicative of producing results and I'm the highest paid person in the company.

6 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Yes,

It’s a mind set of pro bowl players vs. super bowl players.  

18 minutes ago, Golden said:

The title of the post says “ If JA plays like crap this week, accept that he’s simply not good”

My response is in context to the title of the post.  Yours is not. 

ummm, yes it is, but I'm not going to take the time and dumb it down for you so you can better understand, we'll just agree to disagree

3 minutes ago, Golden said:

Yes,

It’s a mind set of pro bowl players vs. super bowl players.  

So you would rather have, say, Trent Dilfer. A guy that can, if all is right in the universe, bring you one SB trophey. Over Tom Brady.....A guy who delivers consistent results year over year and brings you many SB trophies.....Makes sense.

14 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

So you would rather have, say, Trent Dilfer. A guy that can, if all is right in the universe, bring you one SB trophey. Over Tom Brady.....A guy who delivers consistent results year over year and brings you many SB trophies.....Makes sense.

I must confess I baited you into this response.  Your logic is why I don’t work for some one. I own my own company.  Many of my “high performance” team members were not always high performers.  Josh has proven that he is not like a Pat Mahomes or a Tom Brady & I’m not saying that critically.  They ascended quicker than he did & have maintained it.  Although a true comparison is still a bit early. 
     As far as your sarcasm goes, use it on someone else.  I have no need to respond to yours at all. 

7 minutes ago, Golden said:

I must confess I baited you into this response.  Your logic is why I don’t work for some one. I own my own company.  Many of my “high performance” team members were not always high performers.  Josh has proven that he is not like a Pat Mahomes or a Tom Brady & I’m not saying that critically.  They ascended quicker than he did & have maintained it.  Although a true comparison is still a bit early. 
     As far as your sarcasm goes, use it on someone else.  I have no need to respond to yours at all. 

I'll use it on who ever I like, free country and all that....your choice not to respond.  Your high performers though.....Did you pay them HUGE salaries before they actually performed at a high level consistently?  No need to answer....its rhetorical.....you did not.

Edited by BIGFOOTspaceman

5 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

I'll use it on who ever I like, free country and all that....your choice not to respond.  Your high performers though.....Did you pay them HUGE salaries before they actually performed at a high level consistently?  No need to answer....its rhetorical.....you did not.

I appreciate your freedom, & I just to set the record straight, I did pay them more prior to their now increased performance level.  I paid them gladly significantly more than the market dictated.  Much more to say if you showed more common respect. I would enjoy the convo.