"If Allen Plays Like Crap This Week, Accept that He's Simply Not Good

FilthyBeast
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan,

For the reading and discussing pleasure of those who wish to hypothesize that 2 or 3 games outweigh a full season as a sample set, Congratulations!  You have won your very own thread using the "magic" of the moderator "Split" function

For the reading and discussing pleasure of those who wish to discuss the upcoming game, let's try to keep the Week 3 WFT thread at least loosely on topic

Enjoy!

10 hours ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

Everyone panicking after josh starts the year against two of the most elite secondaries in the NFL with his o line playing like jv high schoolers. Meanwhile lamar throws 3 picks, overthrows receivers all night but beats the chiefs and he's back to mvp talk 😆 

Yup, Some folk just never get past the select points that they base their assumptions on. 

Go Bills!!!

4 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

He is missing throws.

The clip above shows him throwing off the back foot again. He bails out on the throw, turns his shoulder like he’s about to get hit.

Protection isn’t great on the play, but like Warner pointed out in the Pittsburgh film, he’s not seeing open players right now. 

Again, because he’s been under constant duress and pressure he hasn’t been able to get comfortable and in a Rhythm.  Why some of you keep blatantly ignoring this is beyond me.  And he’s also delivered some incredible throws and plays none of you are mentioning.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Again, because he’s been under constant duress and pressure he hasn’t been able to get comfortable and in a Rhythm.  Why some of you keep blatantly ignoring this is beyond me.  And he’s also delivered some incredible throws and plays none of you are mentioning.  

Literally just listened to Sal Capaccio say the line played well in Miami, he was only sacked once, and he had time to throw on film. 

He missed throws all over the field. 

You know what's beyond me? Bills fans acting like its a crime to say that Allen isn't playing well. 

You know what's beyond me? That Diggs is getting 4 yards of separation per attempted throw, Beasley 6 yards per attempted throw, Sanders over 4 yards per throw (Brown was 3 yards last year) and Allen is not hitting them. 

Sorry, I know your schtick is blame everyone else, and act aghast, but Allen is not making throws. 

The mantra after the Steelers game was, well the Bills will never see a defense like that again. Then Miami comes along and the narrative shifts to well they have an amazing secondary. 

He's not playing well. His PFF rating right now is 62.3. Average in the league is 72.4. He's missing throws. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PolishDave said:

No.  Your fan base is a bunch of Nancy's.   Entitled pricks.   You think your ***** doesn't stink?

The last thing you should ever say about the Bills fan base is anything other than how impressive our football knowledge is and how much we love our team.

Your team sucks now.    And there is little happening in the NFL that pleases me more than to see that and get to say it to one of you Patriot fan dill holes.

Enjoy another losing season.   There's always next year.  lol

I wish I could put in the Meme of the Emperor saying “Yes, let the Hate flow threw you” .  Lol

Dude it’s a sport that makes us all forget about our lives for a few hours on Sunday while we cheer our favorite team on. After that we all have to go back to out regularly scheduled lives and work. Mind you I find myself enjoying my sons Pop Warner games and Nephews HS games more than the pros.. probably because it’s fun seeing people you know doing something they love. 

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Literally just listened to Sal Capaccio say the line played well in Miami, he was only sacked once, and he had time to throw on film. 

You know what's beyond me? Bills fans acting like its a crime to say that Allen isn't playing well. 

You know what's beyond me? That Diggs is getting 4 yards of separation per attempted throw, Beasley 6 yards per attempted throw, Sanders over 4 yards per throw (Brown was 3 yards last year) and Allen is not hitting them. 

Sorry, I know your schtick is blame everyone else, and act aghast, but Allen is not making throws. 

The mantra after the Steelers game was, well the Bills will never see a defense like that again. Then Miami comes along and the narrative shifts to well they have an amazing secondary. 

He's not playing well. His PFF rating right now is 62.3. Average in the league is 72.4. He's missing throws. 

So instead of watching the game to form your own opinion you took your analysis from what someone else said on the radio, who are also not known for their astute analysis.  Got it.  I watched the full game twice, and your post above is not in tune with the reality of what I saw during the game.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Re: the bolded - it's totally fine to say he isn't playing well right now.

Comments on this thread and others - and this thread title - go WAY beyond that.  

11 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I wish I could put in the Meme of the Emperor saying “Yes, let the Hate flow threw you” .  Lol

Dude it’s a sport that makes us all forget about our lives for a few hours on Sunday while we cheer our favorite team on. After that we all have to go back to out regularly scheduled lives and work. Mind you I find myself enjoying my sons Pop Warner games and Nephews HS games more than the pros.. probably because it’s fun seeing people you know doing something they love. 

Patriot fan walks into a crowd of Bills fans and makes a crack about Bills fans.

Unless he is a complete idiot, I think the guy would probably expect to get some flak for it.      Common sense, no? :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

I'll tell you one thing, Schopp on WGR is starting to feel it a little bit, dipping his toe into the "Allen was a mistake" water again. 

Last year he had to eat crow and go along Allen being an MVP type QB, and you could tell it was killing him, especially once we beat his beloved Lamar in the playoffs. His heart was never really in it. 

Now he seems more alive, more happy every afternoon. He's even getting back to having his analytics guys on to talk about how "this is who Allen is" every other show. 

If this goes on another 1-2 games he's going to come right out with it. But for now he's treading lightly, and it's hilarious to listen to on my long commute every evening. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So instead of watching the game to form your own opinion you took your analysis from what someone else said on the radio, who are also not known for their astute analysis.  Got it.  I watched the full game twice, and your post above is not in tune with the reality of what I saw during the game.  

Allen's decision making has improved significantly.  If he doesn't feel comfortable making it, he is now throwing it away and making the throw the next down.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Einstein said:

Wow.

This certainly helps to dispel the “receivers are being blanketed” narrative that some have adopted. That’s a sure TD Josh missed.

more than one thing can be true.  Josh  missed 3-4 throws where a receiver was open and he had time in the Miami game and a couple in the Pittsburgh game.

And no that wasn’t a “sure TD”, though it would have been a contest

44 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I'll tell you one thing, Schopp on WGR is starting to feel it a little bit, dipping his toe into the "Allen was a mistake" water again. 

Last year he had to eat crow and go along Allen being an MVP type QB, and you could tell it was killing him, especially once we beat his beloved Lamar in the playoffs. His heart was never really in it. 

Now he seems more alive, more happy every afternoon. He's even getting back to having his analytics guys on to talk about how "this is who Allen is" every other show. 

If this goes on another 1-2 games he's going to come right out with it. But for now he's treading lightly, and it's hilarious to listen to on my long commute every evening. 

You absolutely nailed it on this post. 

Without Bulldog, and Sneaky Joe in, yesterday's show nosedived right off the bat into a talk about Fantasy Football trade etiquette, with a betting-line story not far behind. 

And you're 100% right about the love-fest with Lamar Jackson. 

7 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

He is missing throws.

The clip above shows him throwing off the back foot again. He bails out on the throw, turns his shoulder like he’s about to get hit.

Protection isn’t great on the play, but like Warner pointed out in the Pittsburgh film, he’s not seeing open players right now. 

Not allowed. Josh is always perfect. You can say he is a legit MVP candidate, could lead the team to a super bowl victory, but point out some bad plays and your a hater who is clueless because it is the OL's fault Josh is throwing off his back foot or his hips arent following through. Obviously right. 

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I watched the entire game and Allen was not impressive. 

Allen made the play at the goal line, made the Knox throw. 

The best drive was the first drive of the 3rd Quarter. Two quick throws to Diggs and Beasley. 

But, balls were fluttering, balls were late, balls were low. 

The fact that All-22's are coming out and saying this, not a surprise. The fact that PFF has him graded at 62.3 is not a surprise. The numbers are all down this year. 

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

Not allowed. Josh is always perfect. You can say he is a legit MVP candidate, could lead the team to a super bowl victory, but point out some bad plays and your a hater who is clueless because it is the OL's fault Josh is throwing off his back foot or his hips arent following through. Obviously right. 

You're right. 

This is WGR about the run game. 

Jeremy can use his worn golf-analogies every show, but you're not allowed to say that a run game could help the team. 

Not allowed, unless your Adam Benigni, Paul Hamilton, Sal Cappacio, Doug Farrar then we'll let you talk because you're a guest on the show.   

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Josh has said himself he is not playing well. Can we stop with the "he is fine" its all on the OL? The OL has played ok not great. Allen is playing well below is expectations, more than the OL. You talk about watching the game. Go watch every throw. He is missing more than he should. I expect within a few weeks he will have this figured out and then you can watch the film for those games compare to the last two and it will be night and day with the same OL play. Its ok to admit he is off. It happens. 

By the way, my post referenced stats from NFL Next Gen.

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I watched the entire game and Allen was not impressive. 

Allen made the play at the goal line, made the Knox throw. 

The best drive was the first drive of the 3rd Quarter. Two quick throws to Diggs and Beasley. 

But, balls were fluttering, balls were late, balls were low. 

The fact that All-22's are coming out and saying this, not a surprise. The fact that PFF has him graded at 62.3 is not a surprise. The numbers are all down this year. 

I think what most of the folks are objecting to is the conclusion that Allen is a bust as a result of these two games, or even a third straight game.  There are many reasons the kid can have a couple of games like this and many of those reasons were captured in this thread.  There are more reasons than those captured in this thread that can be impacting his play.  We also don't know what we don't know.

Just now, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

You lost me at PFF...

Stats don't provide the entire story either

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

You lost me at PFF...

Well, they watch every snap and grade every player, in every single game. 

So, its one measure. 

For instance, Herbert only has 2 TDs and 3 Interceptions on the year. On the surface Allen has better production. But you've watched Herbert laser footballs this season out of the pocket. Hence the grade is higher. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

5 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

I think what most of the folks are objecting to is the conclusion that Allen is a bust as a result of these two games, or even a third straight game.  There are many reasons the kid can have a couple of games like this and many of those reasons were captured in this thread.  There are more reasons than those captured in this thread that can be impacting his play.  We also don't know what we don't know.

Stats don't provide the entire story either

I am reading less about Allen is a bust and more Allen does not need to change a thing, its all on the OL. Allen is still the MVP front runner in my opinion, but he needs to fix his issues asap. Watch the film and do whatever he needs to do to get those feet right. Daboll needs to get some quick slants to force the issue a bit. 

1 hour ago, PolishDave said:

Patriot fan walks into a crowd of Bills fans and makes a crack about Bills fans.

Unless he is a complete idiot, I think the guy would probably expect to get some flak for it.      Common sense, no? :thumbsup:

I wasn’t talking about all Bills fans.. only the ones promoting this crap about Allen.  We had the “we should have kept Bledsoe” crowd in 2002 when the Pats failed make the playoffs.. they were equally as dumb.