Picking up Edmunds Option a Rare Beane Mistake

Billy Zabka

They gave up 300 yards of offense, and 80 came on a screen.  They had 13 first downs, and their worst rushing total of the season.  They're currently a top level defense against run and pass.  

You pick up the option because you don't have a capable in-house replacement.  It buys you a year to find one in the draft, if you find that his extension negotation is too rich for your budget.  They grabbed several budget mike LBs this offseason in Lee and Adams, and both were cut.  

I also don't think there's a single player on the defense who thinks - oh we should start AJ Klein.  So to me?  That's the end of the discussion.  People nitpick plays he doesn't make, but ignore plays he does make as "he's supposed to do that". 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

Every week it’s the same negative mental gymnastics even if the team dominates.  It’s never good enough. Always someone who is targeted by a few here. Hell this season the first two weeks it was JA.  He played great today. So back to edmunds. Not sure what purpose it serves after a while.  And then these people defend their neurotic behavior with asking what’s wrong with pointing out their opinions. Nothing wrong with it unless that’s all you ever add to the conversation.  At that point it becomes toxic.  We are gonna end up winning a SB at some point soon and these folks will start bitching that night about how we won’t be able to repeat next year due to some player who didn’t play well in the playoffs.

If you don't have anything to contribute other than complaining about posters for discussing Tremaine Edmunds game in a thread about him.........then you are the problem.

Stay out of threads that are going to hurt your feelings.

It's not complicated but some people like yourself cannot grasp that every topic is not an open letter directly addressed to you

Start your own thread to complain about people posting their opinions..........those always have a good following........then you can blanket the issue with your general disdain for two sided discussion.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

Regarding other coaches and player talking him up, that’s the business.  Everyone shows respect to everyone for the most part.  How many instances can you recall of an opposing coach talking bad about an opposing player?  Very rare.  Coaches are asked about their opponents weekly.  The majority of the talk is positive.  

Oddly I havent heard coaches talk about Milano as much.  I actually find that genuinely odd cause he fills the stat sheet more.  Additionally, coaches/players generally rank Edmunds over Milano.  I dont know why but it seems pretty consistent.  Its another piece of evidence to say hes doing something we as fans can't see.  

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

He's been the worst player on the defense this year.

Glad this team decided to invest in Milano.  This D could be so much better with a good MLB.

Define much better.  How do you think itll change these current numbers 12 points per game,  250 yards per game, 178 pass yards per game, 14 first downs per game, 2 Turn overs per game.  I would like to know how you get MUCH better from those numbers.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

The difference between Edmunds and a great MLB there is a great one baits Heinecke into throwing that ball into double coverage............it took almost no effort to do what he did and he simply played his minimum coverage responsibility on the play.

Just another case of routine, team-defense misinterpreted as a big play.     Milano had the tougher coverage responsibility and he carried it long enough that the pass rush should have closed the deal.    

But Poyer won the down with the play that DOES show up in the "score box"........a heads-up,  instinctive play.    That isn't an accident with Poyer, it's who he is.     

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I’m just saying, he’s not nearly as bad as some in this thread are making him out to be.  He didn’t make 2 pro bowls in 3 years because he’s the worst MLB in football as someone foolishly called him.  

The people who really KNOW football don’t see him as terrible by any means.  He’s going to get paid, and how he plays for Buffalo this year and next will determine what Beane thinks he’s worth.  If the numbers are close enough, he will likely remain a Bill.  If Beane doesn’t see him as worth what the market is dictating for him, he will leave in FA.  It’s really that simple.  

All the over exaggerating and freaking out in this thread but some people here is just unnecessary.  The title and OP of this thread is about the most ridiculous thread that’s been on this board all season.

He isn’t the best at his position, but he’s probably top 10, which means we could do a lot worse.  And he still has upside as well.  

I agree.  He’s not as bad as some make him out to be.  I don’t think he’s bad.  He makes some plays that gives him the illusion of being bad though.  😀

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea wtf is so impressive about that play from Edmunds perspective? Any starting NFL MLB should be able to do what he did there. 

Edmunds is more than replaceable with someone on a much cheaper contract when that time comes….. how is that even arguable at this point? You really going to pay that guy $13-15 million per year? No ***** way….. use that money for the interior offensive line or another playmaker offensively.

I'm still holding out a glimmer of hope that he will turn the corner........because probably 90% of his issues are in the speed of processing/decision making and after 3,000 snaps as an NFL MLB  you'd have to hope that the game would slow down enough for him to put himself into position to make plays.

But it's definitely getting discouraging when week-after-week he doesn't.

Erik Turner isn't doing himself any favors with these examples of Edmunds sneaky greatness.🙄     He literally did the bare minimum you need from any LB on that play.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

29 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The difference between Edmunds and a great MLB there is a great one baits Heinecke into throwing that ball into double coverage............it took almost no effort to do what he did and he simply played his minimum coverage responsibility on the play.

Just another case of routine, team-defense misinterpreted as a big play.     Milano had the tougher coverage responsibility and he carried it long enough that the pass rush should have closed the deal.    

But Poyer won the down with the play that DOES show up in the "score box"........a heads-up,  instinctive play.    That isn't an accident with Poyer, it's who he is.     

Maybe, but if it is routine - just watch how Cole Beasley attacks that route.  His second catch against Washington was a similar play - he ran a quick curl to the hash at the Washington 10.  The DB had nice coverage on the outside and behind, but the LB was late reacting and Josh was able to get the throw off and into the window for a quick and easy completion.  

If that Washington LB is two steps ahead and in that area - Josh has to readjust - he had other targets getting open and the pass rush was not right there - so chance are if the LB played it as good as Edmunds - Josh comes off and gets a completion elsewhere, but against Pittsburgh where they get pressure - now you get a sack or an incompletion because of a nice read by the LB.

For the Bills - that nice coverage along with pressure got the QB to move late to a target allowing a pick.

I don’t think anyone is saying it was a big play by Edmunds - what people are saying it was another example of him doing his 1/11th and playing properly within the scheme and that forced a bad decision and a great play by Poyer.  

Of course the Bills would love him to make more big plays, but they also understand the absolute importance of doing your job and that is a big part of what they preach.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd like to tell you I have enough information to comment on how Tremaine played yesterday but given Fox's aversion to showing replays it will have to wait I'm afraid. 

FOX's broadcast was garbage. Can't tell you how annoyed I was on the Johnson INT that had 3 penalties called on the Bills and they showed 0 replays. There was even an injury to provide more time for potential replays.... 

On the topic of Edmunds I think he's a fairly average player. I'm ok-ish with picking up his 5th year option to give him 1 more year to live up to his athleticism\potential.

I do NOT want to see him get a superstar contract after the 5th year option though. We should be able to find another Zach Brown that can do 95% of what Tremaine can at 50% (or less) of the price.   

Don't care about his intangibles/leadership.

1 - This is Josh Allen's team   

2 -The DEF has other leaders in Poyer/Hyde 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm still holding out a glimmer of hope that he will turn the corner........because probably 90% of his issues are in the speed of processing/decision making and after 3,000 snaps as an NFL MLB  you'd have to hope that the game would slow down enough for him to put himself into position to make plays.

Erik Turner isn't doing himself any favors with these examples of Edmunds sneaky greatness.🙄     He literally did the bare minimum you need from any LB on that play.

Obviously as a Bills fan I too keep waiting for the light to come on. I hope I'm wrong but its looking more and more like what was flagged during the draft is a problem: all the physical ability in the world but no instincts, none, nulla, niente. He's adequate but he went middle of the first because of his potential, which really has not materialized. Milano was a fifth round pick and is a playmaker.

Can you find/develop instincts for the game and positon? Can you improve your accuracy passing the football? I was always of the view that Allen would improve on his accuracy. The reason was that there was plenty of tape showing Allen making all kinds of throws with pinpoint accuracy. Consistency of his throwing mechanics and discipline is all that was required. In terms of what I've seen of his play, it doesn't look to me that Edmunds has anywhere near the same profile.

He's a great kid and athlete and I still hope (wish) for a better outcome. If that happens I will be happy to accept whatever criticisms his supporters may have for the doubters.

10 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

FOX's broadcast was garbage. Can't tell you how annoyed I was on the Johnson INT that had 3 penalties called on the Bills and they showed 0 replays. There was even an injury to provide more time for potential replays.... 

There was a grab by Edmunds which while soft would have been the hold. I think the illegal contact was on him too.... Hughes was a block in the back post the INT I think.

15 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You also see it on Beasleys 3rd catch - it should look familiar as it looks like how KC attacked us in the playoffs.  The Bills run a PA to hold the LBs, then Josh breaks through the weak pass rush and looks like he is going to run - the LB drifts toward the middle of the field - opening the window for Beasley to get the catch.  

The LB was put in no mans land - if he stayed outside by Beasley - Josh has a nice lane to run.  Once he slide toward Josh to keep an angle - the passing window is open.

Again - I am not saying Edmunds is great - it is just the things people complain about are evident with most LBs throughout the league.  

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am sorry I just don't buy this. When a team wins not everything is perfect. When a team loses not everything is awful. You learn by analysing the why in both cases. I know for some fans their fandom is just about riding the wave but that isn't the way everyone's mind works. My fandom is about understanding the why. It doesn't mean I am negative and the same goes for a lot of others in this thread. Sure you get the odd glass constantly half full person like you get the odd pom pom waver. But most people in this thread are not that - whether they are right, or wrong, about Edmunds.

Bitching about some player after each win is not analysis.  Its a mental disorder.  Especially when you post the same crap over a thousand times.  You defend your "fandom" and then make judgement about mine.  I just choose not to have a meltdown after game one.  If that is waving pompoms then you clearly prove my point. 

2 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Bitching about some player after each win is not analysis.  Its a mental disorder.  Especially when you post the same crap over a thousand times.  You defend your "fandom" and then make judgement about mine.  I just choose not to have a meltdown after game one.  If that is waving pompoms then you clearly prove my point. 

I don't make judgment about yours. I did not accuse you of waving pompoms. I don't think you can call the discussion of Edmunds here bitching either. People are analysing and discussions specific plays from yesterdays game and the merits of his involvement in them. It isn't just general bitching. I didn't have a meltdown after game one either by the way. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

No.  You just choose to have meltdowns over people giving their opinion in a place dedicated solely for people to give their opinions 

• Agree 1

While I do think Edmonds does a lot of little things that he doesn't get credit for, part of the disappointment is where he was drafted. As a first round pick at middle linebacker, you're looking for a playmaker. He just doesn't seem to make enough impact plays. 

Also, being a Wyoming guy, and seeing what Logan Wilson is doing for their defense has me wishing he would be in the middle of Buffalo's. Last game he had 14 tackles two picks and a couple pass breakups against the same Steelers that beat Buffalo, and he is in only in his first year starting.

Some guys have a natural ability to attack and make plays. As much as Edmunds seems like a good guy and we'll liked around the team, I just don't see him as one of those guys.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It must indeed be discouraging, seeing the world so differently from everybody but a few other Bills fans.

Turner is seeing the world the way the rest of us do, including OBD. You choose to see differently ... and then are surprised it's discouraging to see the world in such a sad and discouraging way. Yeah, I'm sure it is.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Don't care about his intangibles/leadership.

1 - This is Josh Allen's team   

2 -The DEF has other leaders in Poyer/Hyde 

I think McBeane care.  To point number 2 Poyer and Hyde are both getting long in the tooth.  The defense may have other leaders, but Edmunds has worn the C longer than any other on that side of the ball.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.