Things Matt Millen said today without context (not that it would help)

4 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

It was actually pretty funny, if you know any physics. 

If by "funny" you mean, "Wow, that guy doesn't know a damn thing about physics," then yeah, it was funny.

There may have been a time when I would have found that amusing, but I've had it with idiots lecturing on subjects as if they were experts, when they have neither the creds nor the critical thinking ability to back it up. Millen should stay in his lane.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

The more I am remembering about it and savoring, like good aged wine... I gotta say that might have been a masterpiece by Millen yesterday.  The list in the OP made me laugh out loud multiple times.  

Yea nobody is mistaking him for Collinsworth or Romo, but in terms of entertainment? Millen aced it. He was unbiased and entertaining.

• Agree 3

16 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

From an old school football fan’s perspective, he was awesome. I was very entertained!

by the way, he called it fair on both sides and he and his partner clearly did their research. 

Count me in the group that was thoroughly entertained by Millen and his unpolished style.

Maybe it was the blowout of Miami that helped lighten the mood, but he had me cracking up a couple of times. And we were even commenting on it in the group chats.

I wouldnt mind more of him this season.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea nobody is mistaking him for Collinsworth or Romo, but in terms of entertainment? Millen aced it. He was unbiased and entertaining.

And very straight forward.

After Waddle muffed the punt his quote was "Terrible. That is just terrible football. That's all I have to say about it. If you're not ready to catch the ball, then get off the field."

Love it.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Millen is, was, and always will be horrible.  He's been the darling of the networks because he's glib (just like Michael Irvin).   He just runs his mouth.   

When the Dolphins went for it on fourth and two in the red zone, down 14-0, Millen said he liked the decision.    They didn't make it.  The next time the Dolphins got the ball, he said "it's really important that the Dolphins get some points on this possession, even if it's only a field goal."   Well, you fool, they had the opportunity to get some points on the previous possession.  They HAD the points; all they had to do was take them.  So, if you understood five minutes later how important points were, why did you think it was a good decision to pass on the field goal?    He just runs his mouth.  Sometimes  he's funny.   Sometimes, just like the blind squirrel. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

I turned him off and put Murph on.  Even Murph 5 seconds before the action on TV is better than what I was hearing from Millen.

"He's a good player".  I understand better why Detroit was how they were (and still are?)

And guess what?  We get Fox again next week.  Fortunately I'll be in-stadium for that one.

Actually - I dislike pretty much everything about Fox broadcasts.  Jimmy Johnson.  Terry Bradshaw.  The whole outdoor set.  The robot.  The music.  The graphics.  All of it.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

My favorite line was when he said "The defensive coverage has been excellent today, all day long, except for when the coverage was broken."

Or something like that.

LOL

He is the Yogi Berra of football :)

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Actually - I dislike pretty much everything about Fox broadcasts.  Jimmy Johnson.  Terry Bradshaw.  The whole outdoor set.  The robot.  The music.  The graphics.  All of it.

This.  Bradshaw used to be pretty good, including talking through the highlights.  Now, he stumbles along like a drunk hanging out at your local all-night diner.  

They all work so hard to look like they're having fun, and it's all just a second-rate act.   

As Gunner said, though, at least Millen is entertaining.   The Tolstoy and fart references made me want to keep listening.  

18 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Yeah, I mean he bumbled a bit, but I think it was so much better than listening to Collinsworth's ball-washing or just a plain boring commentator like Gannon.

Collinsworth is just like Gruden used to be on Monday nights.  

Every play is great, every player is special, everything he sees is wonderful.

It's so artificial and it functions as hype/advertising for the "Show" of the NFL.

Like the NFL is paying Cris a fee to help promote things every game.

Thing is, it's a good strategy for a guy in that seat, as I assume he makes maybe even an 8 figure pay check, most of what he says makes his superiors happy, and he almost never says anything negative or controversial so he'll never get in trouble and those pay checks will keep rolling in.

The ultimate would be to replace him with Romo and convince Al Michaels to keep going several more years...combined with the superior technical side of the SNF broadcasts, it would probably be the best show in North American sports.

How about when Bills offense was on the field and he said

"If youre wondering why its so loud for the away team, i saw more Bills jerseys than Dolphins"

its like he was trying to force that in so hard he forgot that Bills fans wouldnt be getting loud with the offense on the field

DEEEEEEEEEEERP

14 hours ago, Starr Almighty said:

Thanks for posting.  It's even funnier this time around now that I know what's coming!

As to the debate over whether a color commentator should "explain" football or make me laugh..........I go with laughing.

I've watched football all my life and know the rules and the game as well as anybody.

"Yet another 'football player' left behind".  LOL.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

As to the debate over whether a color commentator should "explain" football or make me laugh..........I go with laughing.

I've watched football all my life and know the rules and the game as well as anybody.

I know the rules and the game, but I like a color commentator who explains the nuances that only an insider might know - that's the point of having an ex-player or ex-coach in that role. With that said, someone who can make me laugh is cool too. I always found Madden to be good blend of analyst and entertainer.

8 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I know the rules and the game, but I like a color commentator who explains the nuances that only an insider might know - that's the point of having an ex-player or ex-coach in that role. With that said, someone who can make me laugh is cool too. I always found Madden to be good blend of analyst and entertainer.

True, but that only happens a couple of times a game if that.  I agree when Madden got his job he was the King.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I hear what you are saying, but unless it's someone like Romo, we typically get someone who is only an expert in their own mind, and I think we've all heard "expert" color commentary that was neither informative nor entertaining. I guess the point is, I'd rather have Millen than a Solomon Wilcots.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1