Bills D...might be #1 ranked after week 2(Ranked 2nd to Carolina))

Big Turk

26 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Ysrds is the dumbest measure for a defense but I know that is how they are ranked. The D is playing really well by other measures. #2 in sacks with 8. They are middle of the road in takeaways with 3. Had the White INT not been called back they would be top 10 in takeaways too.

Perhaps the best stat is the YPA given up at only 4.9.  That is #1 in NFL and 0.5 ahead of the second ranked team and 1.3 YPA better than last years best team atv6.2 YPA.

I've been beating the drum for better pass rush for years. Beane tried to address with veterans last year. This year he has a better mix of youth and experience.  

Where are we ranked for penalties?  There's been phases where our guys just looked shook and unfocused.

16 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

the true test will be in week 5 against KC.

I suspect it's still going to be a track meet with KC - hopefully the offense will have found their grrove by then and if the D can slow em down just a little maybe they'll have a shot - but that's a lot of IFs still....

43 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Also keeping this in mind: it was Africa hot out there today, and except for some minor issues, conditioning was terrific. Also, in the first half the Defense was on the field a lot and yet they kept bringing the "heat" (see what I did there?...ok, I'll show myself out) and the Offense taking the ball to start the 2nd half helped them get more rest and finish the game pretty strong.

It took me some snaps before I realized in the final 4 minutes they didn't even play their starters at some positions on Defense. Well done overall. 

I didn't get why people were coming down on Edmunds for being out the second half, who was cramping from the conditions.  Multi touchdown lead against a weak offense, let your key guys sit.

4 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

Also keeping this in mind: it was Africa hot out there today, and except for some minor issues, conditioning was terrific. Also, in the first half the Defense was on the field a lot and yet they kept bringing the "heat" (see what I did there?...ok, I'll show myself out) and the Offense taking the ball to start the 2nd half helped them get more rest and finish the game pretty strong.

It took me some snaps before I realized in the final 4 minutes they didn't even play their starters at some positions on Defense. Well done overall. 

Yeah Hyde and Poyer were in a heated Rochambeau game on the sidelines...did anyone find out who won??

Edited by Big Turk

5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Ysrds is the dumbest measure for a defense but I know that is how they are ranked. The D is playing really well by other measures. #2 in sacks with 8. They are middle of the road in takeaways with 3. Had the White INT not been called back they would be top 10 in takeaways too.

Perhaps the best stat is the YPA given up at only 4.9.  That is #1 in NFL and 0.5 ahead of the second ranked team and 1.3 YPA better than last years best team atv6.2 YPA.

I've been beating the drum for better pass rush for years. Beane tried to address with veterans last year. This year he has a better mix of youth and experience.  

Bills defense have given up 16 points in 2 games.  That's pretty good so far.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

to be fair, they've played two pedestrian offenses. Baltimore's defense is ranked last, for example, but they've played potent offenses. 

There's some good signs, but folks shouldn't be getting carried away. 

It looks like the defenses from prior to last year...teams seem to be moving the balls at times but then you look and the QB didn't even throw for 200 yards and they have under 300 yards of offense.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

Yea I am glad they gave them some snaps.  Less wear on starters and we need to give some players experience.

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Bills defense have given up 16 points in 2 games.  That's pretty good so far.

100% agree. My point was total yards is not a good measure of a defense. Points, takeaways, sacks are all more important measures of success.

15 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Where are we ranked for penalties?  There's been phases where our guys just looked shook and unfocused.

2017 they were bottom 10. Since then the team is right around 10th best annually. A solid improvement from year 1 of McD and further evidence there is no conspiracy against certain teams.

• Agree 1

I think it is time for the Bill's  Tre White, to become our version of Revis/ Sanders cornerback.  Just shadow the opposing teams number 1 or 2 wide receiver all game long.  Don't huddle follow one receiver period.  Because too many times teams are going away from Tre.  I think it will frustrate any receiver knowing that tre is following around all the time.

On 9/20/2021 at 6:24 AM, jeremy2020 said:

to be fair, they've played two pedestrian offenses. Baltimore's defense is ranked last, for example, but they've played potent offenses. 

No one is getting carried away, but rather we are more encouraged as to what we are seeing.

Mentioned this in another thread but this Carolina team is shaping up to be one of the toughest games left on the schedule assuming their early season success is sustainable.

Matt Rhule has this squad playing great football and Darnold is finally looking like a top 5 draft pick and solid NFL starting QB away from Adam Gase simliar to Tannenhill in Ten after he left him in Miami.

3 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Mentioned this in another thread but this Carolina team is shaping up to be one of the toughest games left on the schedule assuming their early season success is sustainable.

Matt Rhule has this squad playing great football and Darnold is finally looking like a top 5 draft pick and solid NFL starting QB away from Adam Gase simliar to Tannenhill in Ten after he left him in Miami.

WTF? (no, not the Redskins) Carolina? Freakin CAROLINA?? Have you bothered to look at our schedule? @KC, @TB, @TENN, @NO, H&A w/Pats*. 

Carolina??

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

WTF? (no, not the Redskins) Carolina? Freakin CAROLINA?? Have you bothered to look at our schedule? @KC, @TB, @TENN, @NO, H&A w/Pats*. 

Carolina??

Yes but as I mentioned in the unhilighted part 'assuming their early season sucess is sustainable. For all we know this Panther team could be a fraud but hard to ignore what their defense is doing and a revived Darnold finally playing with some real talent around him.

Either way this is not the Chiefs, Bucs or Titans which I agree and still consider all three of those games much tougher on paper. Also still think we aren't sweeping the Pats even if Allen returns to form.

On 9/20/2021 at 9:24 AM, jeremy2020 said:

facing backup QBs weeks 2,3,4 is good for a D

On 9/20/2021 at 8:53 AM, Ethan in Portland said:

I like YPA as the best single/simple metric, DVOA as more of a complex one. I know we will see some form of regression soon. These numbers are just too good. As you said, .5 ahead of #2 in YPA is historically good levels if that holds. I don't think any regression will be too deep. I do think this lands as a Top 3 unit by years end. We will really know where we stand after October 18th playing KC and the Titans B2B.   

• Like (+1) 1