Week 2: Bills at Dolphins

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

They stole Ingram. Guy was signed late July for pennies. I’m not going to knock Beane too much for not going there based on the amount of resources he’s invested in the position the last 2 years, but Ingram opposite Jerry would’ve been pretty nice this year for a team trying to get to the big game. 

In any event they did whatever it took to land him there and is a good addition. I know he lined up on Dline a few times, but he's a LB so don't know if he'd would have been opposite of Jerry every snap. 

He moves all around anyway, but yeah it would have been nice to have a good veteran pass rusher

6 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Hopefully, Allen won't miss another opportunity like this. This is tough to watch.

The safety that would have followed Sanders on his route abandons him when it is clear that Allen is about to throw the ball to the other side of the field. There is also pressure in Allen's face within 3 seconds so he has no time to look to his progressions on the other side of the field. This is classic freeze frame scouting. Watch the whole play, you'll see the safety rotate away from Sanders.

• Agree 2

44 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

In any event they did whatever it took to land him there and is a good addition. I know he lined up on Dline a few times, but he's a LB so don't know if he'd would have been opposite of Jerry every snap. 

He moves all around anyway, but yeah it would have been nice to have a good veteran pass rusher

He’s listed as an RDE on pro football reference for the past 3 years with the Chargers. Basically, the same size as Hughes.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/I/IngrMe00.htm

But, yes, they moved him around every time he was on the field on Sunday. Guy was a terror. If memory serves me correctly, he also terrorized Josh in his first start against the Chargers in 2018. 

13 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

He’s listed as an RDE on pro football reference for the past 3 years with the Chargers. Basically, the same size as Hughes.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/I/IngrMe00.htm

But, yes, they moved him around every time he was on the field on Sunday. Guy was a terror. If memory serves me correctly, he also terrorized Josh in his first start against the Chargers in 2018. 

Ok, he's listed as LB here though. 

https://www.steelers.com/team/players-roster/

He can play both anyways so doesn't matter.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheProcess said:

They stole Ingram. Guy was signed late July for pennies. I’m not going to knock Beane too much for not going there based on the amount of resources he’s invested in the position the last 2 years, but Ingram opposite Jerry would’ve been pretty nice this year for a team trying to get to the big game. 

Ingram is so damn good regardless of sack numbers (which are still good). He is really hard to block. However, he was coming off an injury and missed 9 games last season. Teams get wary around experienced players with injury issues.

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Ingram has one fatal flaw though….. He never played for Carolina…. 

Went to high school in North Carolina though. That's gotta count for something ...

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

The safety that would have followed Sanders on his route abandons him when it is clear that Allen is about to throw the ball to the other side of the field. 

No, the safety just decides he's going to throw to that side..........likely because Allen opened up his body to that side and stared down the receivers.    Just a poor play by Allen all around.

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

😅

Still pretty frustrating to see the Bills pass on all the FA pass rushers and then watch one of them dominate the Bills offensive line in week 1….  

Agreed.  After the dust had settled on the big name free agents, I was hoping we’d target Ingram or Houston.  Signing one of them would’ve allowed us to draft Humphrey, instead of Basham, to play c/og.  Oh well.  

I think our pass rush will be ok without them…..im just worried that our OL is going to get wrecked.  The last two times we’ve seen Feliciano play, he was easily the worst player on the field.  Stop playing video game Jon.  Get in shape you fat poc 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 3

36 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

😅

Still pretty frustrating to see the Bills pass on all the FA pass rushers and then watch one of them dominate the Bills offensive line in week 1….  

He would not get to Rothlisberger either, because he averaged 2.15 seconds to get rid of the ball. I believe our pass rush will be fine against more average release times. 

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

No, the safety just decides he's going to throw to that side..........likely because Allen opened up his body to that side and stared down the receivers.    Just a poor play by Allen all around.

Without knowing the play design, I would bet it tells him that if there's a single high safety don't look to the seam pass because the safety will likely have it covered. The pass he should make against this coverage is the one he looks to, the comeback to Diggs. Unfortunately he's moved off his spot before the comeback develops and isn't able to get his mechanics right. The receiver he "stares down" is in single coverage and guaranteed to break open... if there aren't 3 pass rushers collapsing the pocket before Diggs hits the end of his route stem. This is my problem with a lot of all-22 analysis. It's cool to watch plays develop but most people watching them don't understand the structure of the play and what the QB is supposed to do based on what he sees. Sanders was never going to get a look.

6 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

He would not get to Rothlisberger either, because he averaged 2.15 seconds to get rid of the ball. I believe our pass rush will be fine against more average release times. 

We did have 2 sacks wnd several other pressures.  On the should’ve been INT by tre, jerry was held and kept him from adding another, but the pressure forced Ben into throwing a bad pass.  Again……we don’t have to get a sack in order to force the opposition into a bad play or make them punt.  Pressure, pressure, pressure. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We did have 2 sacks wnd several other pressures.  On the should’ve been INT by tre, jerry was held and kept him from adding another, but the pressure forced Ben into throwing a bad pass.  Again……we don’t have to get a sack in order to force the opposition into a bad play or make them punt.  Pressure, pressure, pressure. 

Agree, and just to add defense did pretty well against Steelers running game I thought.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Without knowing the play design, I would bet it tells him that if there's a single high safety don't look to the seam pass because the safety will likely have it covered. The pass he should make against this coverage is the one he looks to, the comeback to Diggs. Unfortunately he's moved off his spot before the comeback develops and isn't able to get his mechanics right. The receiver he "stares down" is in single coverage and guaranteed to break open... if there aren't 3 pass rushers collapsing the pocket before Diggs hits the end of his route stem. This is my problem with a lot of all-22 analysis. It's cool to watch plays develop but most people watching them don't understand the structure of the play and what the QB is supposed to do based on what he sees. Sanders was never going to get a look.

Are you familiar with the term "be the hammer not the nail"?............Allen was the nail Sunday.

This offense works under the assumptions that the QB will make the right adjustment and manipulate the defense to his advantage........you don't give Joe-1st-read 4 and 5 receiver patterns to digest.

Allen got worked on that play.......if he intends to keep the safety out of the equation on that side of the field then he needs to HOLD THE SAFETY..........not stare down his intended target.

It was a QB fail.    Pressure hurt but TRY to remember that Allen was one of the very best QB's in the NFL under pressure last season..........he made better plays and choices than that most of last season.

24 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Allen got worked on that play.......if he intends to keep the safety out of the equation on that side of the field then he needs to HOLD THE SAFETY..........not stare down his intended target.

Even if that's what he wanted to do he would have needed more than 3 seconds... You're asking him to perform the impossible. Also by this point he's been under fire in the pocket all day and the timer in his head is ticking. That would happen to any QB in the league. The right call there is trust your elite #1 WR to break open in single coverage on a route and throw that you KNOW you will complete 95% of the time. He wasn't even given time for that.

I'm not trying to say Allen was particularly good on Sunday but this is not a good example of his problems. People forget he was mediocre against Pittsburgh last year too. Butler and Tomlin have done a good job against him. He is still the elite field general that we saw last year.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

It's slim pickens for quality fa pass rushers next year. You gotta figure Hughes, Addison & Star are gone.

Depending how the year goes, I could see Hughes going year to year for another couple years. If the rookies and Epenesa play well this year, could allow them to move on. If they are middling, I could see Hughes back to give the young guys more time to grow. I agree they should move on from the Carolina Trio (Addison, Vernon Butler, and Star) after the year. 

• Like (+1) 1