Interesting... Kaepernick was not the first athlete to not stand during the anthem

Big Turk

Just read that in 2010 NBA basketball player Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf refused to stand for the National Anthem for much the same reasons as Kaepernick. He ended up reaching an agreement with the NBA that he would stand and look down, with his hands over his face at times, praying.

Not sure why he didn't get the backlash Kaep did when he started doing it 6 years later.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

there was a ton of backlash in 2010 over this.  Road Rage Radio was nonstop for weeks about it.  we weren't yet in the twitterverse for instant outrage generation though, and the MSM was at least ostensibly focused still on hard news.  you might say it was a different age

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Not sure why he didn't get the backlash Kaep did when he started doing it 6 years later.

Maybe because he wasn't as known or popular like Kaep was? I mean personally I don't recognize that NBA players name myself. Anyway that's my guess

11 minutes ago, Haslett_Stomp said:

Perhaps because nobody watches professional basketball anymore.

I guess those players making $50 million a year are doing it because the salary cap is so low due to that.

• Agree 1

He was SEC player of the year (as Chris Jackson) in 88-89 and 89-90 and then went pro opening the door for his lesser teammate (a guy named Shaquille O'Neal) to win the award the next two years.  He was the third pick in the draft and was 2nd team NBA All Rookie, but never quite lived up to the promise as a pro...was not great, but was very good.  Although not official, it was pretty clear he was blackballed after the sitting for the anthem incident.  So, yeah, a big deal was made of it and there are a lot of parallels to Kaepernick.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

He was SEC player of the year (as Chris Jackson) in 88-89 and 89-90 and then went pro opening the door for his lesser teammate (a guy named Shaquille O'Neal) to win the award the next two years.  He was the third pick in the draft and was 2nd team NBA All Rookie, but never quite lived up to the promise as a pro...was not great, but was very good.  Although not official, it was pretty clear he was blackballed after the sitting for the anthem incident.  So, yeah, a big deal was made of it and there are a lot of parallels to Kaepernick.

I remember using him to shoot 3s and run around the court because he was so fast in EA sports

12 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

He started kneeling when he got benched for Blaine Gabbert

Yes.  That's the real reason.  Well, that and him just not knowing his place.  He is so selfish!

Also a fun fact, it was a veteran of the US Army Special Forces that advised Kapernick to kneel, since it would be seen as more respectful than just sitting on the bench.

Turns out that was not the case...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-minneapolis-police-knee/u-s-army-veteran-stunned-by-negative-reaction-to-kaepernick-kneeling-idUSKBN23G2E2

Edited by Heitz
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Heitz said:

Also a fun fact, it was a veteran of the US Army Special Forces that advised Kapernick to kneel, since it would be seen as more respectful than just sitting on the bench.

Turns out that was not the case...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-minneapolis-police-knee/u-s-army-veteran-stunned-by-negative-reaction-to-kaepernick-kneeling-idUSKBN23G2E2

I remember him well - Nate Boyer was an UDFA special teamer for the Seahawks and he recommended the kneel. 

49 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

Didn’t kaepernick also start kneeling well before it became a big issue?

He didn't kneel at first. He just sat on the bench. He received criticism for that, and decided to kneel instead.

• Agree 1