Harrison Phillips knee injury

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

It isn't Vernon Butler either, that's for sure.

Except that by the end of last season, he did.

5 hours ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Any word on Zimmer?

McDermott said Zimmer just had a "ding" that you get from football, or words to that effect.  Nothing to keep him off the field.

3 hours ago, Dukestreetking said:

Thanks for that Scuba. Exact thing I'm trying to convey. Even w all the amazing advances in surgery (I've had 3x ACLs) it's still there.

Maybe one of our docs can clue us in re: successful surgery vs what I've termed Amorphous ACL Syndrome"...the kind of thing where "yeah, I'm good, but I keep getting the nagging nicks".

** Uhhh, I'm not a medical pro, nor claim any such expertise

Cruciate ligaments are a strange thing.

Didn't Thurman Thomas play his entire HOF career without one?  On the other hand he wasn't usually trying to shove 2 - 300 lb men sideways.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Except that by the end of last season, he did.

Yes, just not effectively. Believe it or not, there's a good chance a better option could become available either as an older guy/ high salary cut situation or just a straight up numbers game. My 4 are Oliver/ Zimmer and Star/ Phillips and it's not very close.

It is tough with Harry because he has one full healthy season (2018) we he showed a few flashes, a great start before injury (2019), and a bad season last year. Personally I think he is more of a depth player and fans like he because he's a fun good dude which causes a portion of the fanbase to inflate his true value. I would take a hard look at Jurrel Casey or Kwan Short if I were the Bills in place of Phillips. It is year four and besides injury issues he just hasn't shown enough to keep being worth the time.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, corta765 said:

It is tough with Harry because he has one full healthy season (2018) we he showed a few flashes, a great start before injury (2019), and a bad season last year. Personally I think he is more of a depth player and fans like he because he's a fun good dude which causes a portion of the fanbase to inflate his true value. I would take a hard look at Jurrel Casey or Kwan Short if I were the Bills in place of Phillips. It is year four and besides injury issues he just hasn't shown enough to keep being worth the time.

Agreed. You're not valuable at all if you can't play on Sunday.

42 minutes ago, L.EvansHands said:

Agreed. You're not valuable at all if you can't play on Sunday.

It sucks saying that too but the goal is a SB and I want the best lineup regardless of feelings or situation.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Cruciate ligaments are a strange thing.

Didn't Thurman Thomas play his entire HOF career without one?  On the other hand he wasn't usually trying to shove 2 - 300 lb men sideways.

No, that was Hines Ward.  Thurman tore his left ACL in college.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

No, that was Hines Ward.  Thurman tore his left ACL in college.

OK, according to this it was 85% torn

https://sportsnaut.com/bills-legend-thurman-thomas-played-entire-career-with-torn-acl/

And yes, he played his entire HOF career with an 85% torn ACL

15 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Yes, just not effectively. Believe it or not, there's a good chance a better option could become available either as an older guy/ high salary cut situation or just a straight up numbers game. My 4 are Oliver/ Zimmer and Star/ Phillips and it's not very close.

I'm not arguing that a better option *could* become available, but I don't think you cut Butler and just assume you're gonna find someone else.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, according to this it was 85% torn

https://sportsnaut.com/bills-legend-thurman-thomas-played-entire-career-with-torn-acl/

And yes, he played his entire HOF career with an 85% torn ACL

Good find.  So torn but not without.  I can see playing with a torn one because even 15% of it intact will provide knee stability, but Ward playing without one is amazing.

On 8/22/2021 at 3:47 PM, YoloinOhio said:

It's bound to happen to somebody. Better him than Oliver or Edmunds. It sucks because he had the game of his career against Baltimore and I was really excited to see what he could do this season. Defensive tackles tend to need more development. Shucks

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Magox said:

What am I missing here?  Last report I heard was that it wasn’t viewed as a serious injury.   Is there another report saying otherwise?

No, there isn't -- just a lot of wild speculation on a message board.  Go figure.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Magox said:

What am I missing here?  Last report I heard was that it wasn’t viewed as a serious injury.   Is there another report saying otherwise?

No, I think it’s just uncertain how long he will be out. Could go into regular season. Or not. 

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Good find.  So torn but not without.  I can see playing with a torn one because even 15% of it intact will provide knee stability, but Ward playing without one is amazing.

I wonder if that isn't just the way some people's knees are structured? I knew a stunt man who claimed to have no ACL, and I never really believed him. I've snapped my left ACL twice (skiing), and while I could carefully walk on it before the repair, there is no way in hell I could have run on it. My lower leg would sort of roll out from under my upper leg.