America no longer exists

9 hours ago, B-Man said:

No.

I don't.

I post well thought out articles every day about the multitude of serious problems facing this country.

and you are fine with dismissing them.

So pardon me if I made a little joke about your ridiculous thread title.

May I suggest that you get out more and talk with people, there is a big wonderful nation full of honest loving people if you just stop to look.

America No Longer Exists

Well, bullsh*t is my answer to that.

*(not copied and pasted)

image.thumb.jpeg.39dbb07dda00f90450cf6398662c6a00.jpeg

9 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

WHAT??  Get out!  I hate you. 😡😡😡

Man you guys really need to get out of your bubbles. There is some phenomenal music out there. Pop music has pretty much always sucked. 

And culture?  Weren’t y’all celebrating our increased diversity just this week?

You’re all a bunch of confused mother effers. 

Chef, you reading this thread? This is the stuff I was warning you about 6 months ago. This is why I packed up my titties and came back north. The war already started dude.

Edited by Governor

50 minutes ago, Governor said:

Chef, you reading this thread? This is the stuff I was warning you about 6 months ago. This is why I packed up my titties and came back north. The war already started dude.

And you’re safe up north how?  

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

And you’re safe up north how?  

Extremely safe. We’re seeing the introduction of what the war will look like in Florida. Take federal dollars away to change political behavior in states that can’t sustain themselves. When those politicians double and triple down on crazy, punish them until the people in those states replace them with normal people.

Trump fired the first shots early in the pandemic when he decided to punish blue states for political gain.

You can really take it all the way back to when the GOP refused to give money to a Republican Governor in NJ for hurricane Sandy. That opened a lot of people’s eyes. The whole Obama/Christie hug thing.

Cuomo did a pretty good job of reminding people of that reality when Trump tried it during the pandemic. His approval rating shot through the roof in the coming weeks.

Edited by Governor
  • Eyeroll 1

8 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

You can apply the same thing to the slogan "Make America Great Again."  For some people it means going back to a time when America was respected and feared in the world.  Recapturing that American spirit. Bringing back blue collar manufacturing jobs and pushing back against political correctness.  A sort of populist slogan that lead to a movement to fight against "the swamp" in Washington.

For others it was viewed as a direct push back against the "browning" of America with a declining white population.  It was a campaign slogan for a guy who openly called for a Muslim ban on the campaign trail.  It was viewed as demeaning to hard working immigrants who had just moved to this country who already think America is great.  They see an American flag on the back of pickup trucks with a MAGA sign next to it and boom.....the flag instantly is associated with those feelings.

I'm sure there were other positive and negative interpretations on both sides.  Neither side really wants to understand the other side though so @Dr.Mantis_Toboggan may be right in that we'll eventually reach a point where certain states will start to secede. 

so if a secession took place, clean right down the middle and you had to make a choice, which side would you go? id choose freedom over safety. the census seems to suggest that americans feel the same.

13 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

so if a secession took place, clean right down the middle and you had to make a choice, which side would you go? id choose freedom over safety. the census seems to suggest that americans feel the same.

If you were to create an SEC Country led by Ron DeSantis and then the rest of the country led by Biden I'm pretty sure the border to get in SEC of America will look like people trying to get over the Berlin Wall..... but into Kentucky.  

The new financial capital will be Charlotte since most of the banking and money has been fleeing NYC there for years.  

And the political capital will remain Tallahassee.  

Done.   

Edited by Big Blitz

53 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

If you were to create an SEC Country led by Ron DeSantis and then the rest of the country led by Biden I'm pretty sure the border to get in SEC of America will look like people trying to get over the Berlin Wall..... but into Kentucky.  

The new financial capital will be Charlotte since most of the banking and money has been fleeing NYC there for years.  

And the political capital will remain Tallahassee.  

Done.   

You’re not doing much of anything in NC because it’s about to turn blue and stay blue. It’s going the way of Virginia.

On my next turn I would fortify NC, start moving armies out of Florida (sorry Mom) and send them towards Texas for the final battle to end the game.

Edited by Governor

7 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Let me respond.  I think you make some good points here.  But the flag comments are a good example of where I think our country is lost.  As you say, the flag stands for our country, and our country stands for freedom.  Thus, people are free to protest and one of the ways some have done that is to not stand and honor the flag when the anthem is played.  Do I like it?  No.  But do I like that they have the freedom to do so?  Yes.  Yes you have the freedom not to get vaccinated.  But you should want to in order to help your neighbor, to help the kids who can’t be, because in a public health crisis we are in this together.  But you see the data.  We are more concerned with me than us, and that tells me we have lost something fundamental to the character of the nation.

My frustration is not just at one political side.  When I get frustrated with the posts from obscure right wing sites it’s because all they do is slant things in a particular direction to win some kind of battle in their mind.  Same for obscure far left posts.  No one cares about the country anymore, just playing political games. They will completely change positions if they feel there is some political advantage and that is where the blatant hypocrisy comes in.  Politicians and right wing folks did it daily withTrump, now the other side does it for Biden.  

Nero fiddled while Rome burned.  That’s how I feel right now.  

i wasn't specifically talking about kneeling or protesting of flag. im talking about how it is viewed. one side sees that symbol and does not think it stands for this country or our freedom. it stands for a corrupt racist system that must be dismantled from the ground up. now those are the most extreme views that i appreciate you noticing and not wanting to be a part of but they have been echoed on major cable news stations without much pushback from their own side. there are many examples i thought that was the most basic straight forward one.

as for your vaccine position you state.

"But you should want to in order to help your neighbor, to help the kids who can’t be, because in a public health crisis we are in this together"  

this is a false narrative. vaccines DO NOT help those that cannot be vaccinated. it only prevents severe symptom. you can still contract and transmit. so if you are vaccinated it is still advised you act as if you are not which is why they are reinstating masks for all. one could argue they do more damage as they would give someone the false knowledge, that you seem to also, and go around vulnerable people without precautions thinking you are no longer a threat. we have to make that distinction clear. a valid argument is that society should be thinking about our healthcare workers. seeing as many who have dealt with this for over a year are being fired for not wanting to be vaccinated, it is not as cut and dry as it appears as well.

Edited by Buffarukus

5 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

i wasn't specifically talking about kneeling or protesting of flag. im talking about how it is viewed. one side sees that symbol and does not think it stands for this country or our freedom. it stands for a corrupt racist system that must be dismantled from the ground up. now those are the most extreme views that i appreciate you noticing and not wanting to be a part of but they have been echoed on major cable news stations without much pushback from their own side. there are many examples i thought that was the most basic straight forward one.

as for your vaccine position you state.

"But you should want to in order to help your neighbor, to help the kids who can’t be, because in a public health crisis we are in this together"  

this is a false narrative. vaccines DO NOT help those that cannot be vaccinated. it only prevents severe symptom. you can still contract and transmit. so if you are vaccinated it is still advised you act as if you are not which is why they are reinstating masks for all. one could argue they do more damage as they would give someone the false knowledge, that you seem to also, and go around vulnerable people without precautions thinking you are no longer a threat. we have to make that distinction clear. a valid argument is that society should be thinking about our healthcare workers. seeing as many who have dealt with this for over a year are being fired for not wanting to be vaccinated, it is not as cut and dry as it appears as well.

Actually when people get vaccinated it will help keep the spread down.  Basic virology - you remove more hosts for the virus, you keep the virus from propagating.  Vaccinated people may get breakthroughs but they get infected at lower levels than unvaccinated.

48 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Actually when people get vaccinated it will help keep the spread down.  Basic virology - you remove more hosts for the virus, you keep the virus from propagating.  Vaccinated people may get breakthroughs but they get infected at lower levels than unvaccinated.

that does not prevent the spread, correct? maybe the chances are lowered. in that regard i guess you have a point as lower is better then not but it is no way safe. 

my question is why is there no info presented on natural immunity. i have to go to "fringe" sources and by all accounts they are projecting at least 5 years of protection. are they also reduced viral loads. if so why are they not discluded from the people that are "unvaccinated" ? how many people are in this group and at this point what is the percentage of vax/natural really seeing as many might be asymptomatic? are we talking about a fraction of society at this point that are truley being "selfish"?

i do not know if i had asymptomatic covid. if i got covid i would trust my immunity and not gotten vaxed. i would be excluded from the many mandates on travel and going out and maybe forced to leave my job....and many would cheer that on. that's where our society is and it saddens me.

Edited by Buffarukus

Maybe Oldman has a point.

a9d12a2e-adf9-4536-a869-ab1244e0f79c-860

Woke Milestone: In Order to Be 'Inclusive,' Virginia County Won't 'Celebrate' America's 250th Anniversary

By Alex Parker | Aug 20, 2021 1:45 AM ET

Do you celebrate America, or are you more enlightened?

In Fairfax, Virginia, those in power can proudly profess the latter.

Per July 13th’s Fairfax County, Virginia Board of Supervisors Agenda, the county’s looking ahead to the “Semiquincentennial Anniversary of the American Revolution, the Revolutionary War, and the Independence of the United States of America.”

Due to 2026’s significance, the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors have “established a seven-person Work Group charged with providing recommendations to the County Board of Supervisors for the preferred approach.”

At issue: “organizing and leading county-wide efforts for an inclusive observance, celebration, and commemoration…”

One of the initial steps to success regards something of great cultural concern.

“[I]t is important to first address the topic of word choice, language and message,” the group asserts.

So in the spirit of inclusion, what’s to be done?

In order to find out, the committee looked at a state-sponsored probe.

In 2019, the Virginia Tourism Corporation hired Wilkening Consulting for a study titled Americans, Our History and the 250th.

“The analysis conducted,” the report affirms, “was objective, scientific, and inclusive of a very broad and diverse population.”

[T]his study demonstrated the following:

Our values, attitudes, and beliefs affect how we approach the past…and the divisions in our country extend to history.

That history is highly valued…but a lack of inclusion is a barrier to engagement.

Yet the majority hold values about our country that they honor and respect…and will want to acknowledge in 2026

Researchers divided participants into two group — essentially, the woke and unwoke:

More at the link: 

https://redstate.com/alexparker/2021/08/20/woke-milestone-in-order-to-be-inclusive-virginia-county-wont-celebrate-americas-250th-anniversay-n429909

18 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Maybe Oldman has a point.

a9d12a2e-adf9-4536-a869-ab1244e0f79c-860

Woke Milestone: In Order to Be 'Inclusive,' Virginia County Won't 'Celebrate' America's 250th Anniversary

By Alex Parker | Aug 20, 2021 1:45 AM ET

Do you celebrate America, or are you more enlightened?

In Fairfax, Virginia, those in power can proudly profess the latter.

Per July 13th’s Fairfax County, Virginia Board of Supervisors Agenda, the county’s looking ahead to the “Semiquincentennial Anniversary of the American Revolution, the Revolutionary War, and the Independence of the United States of America.”

Due to 2026’s significance, the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors have “established a seven-person Work Group charged with providing recommendations to the County Board of Supervisors for the preferred approach.”

At issue: “organizing and leading county-wide efforts for an inclusive observance, celebration, and commemoration…”

One of the initial steps to success regards something of great cultural concern.

“[I]t is important to first address the topic of word choice, language and message,” the group asserts.

So in the spirit of inclusion, what’s to be done?

In order to find out, the committee looked at a state-sponsored probe.

In 2019, the Virginia Tourism Corporation hired Wilkening Consulting for a study titled Americans, Our History and the 250th.

“The analysis conducted,” the report affirms, “was objective, scientific, and inclusive of a very broad and diverse population.”

[T]his study demonstrated the following:

Our values, attitudes, and beliefs affect how we approach the past…and the divisions in our country extend to history.

That history is highly valued…but a lack of inclusion is a barrier to engagement.

Yet the majority hold values about our country that they honor and respect…and will want to acknowledge in 2026

Researchers divided participants into two group — essentially, the woke and unwoke:

More at the link: 

https://redstate.com/alexparker/2021/08/20/woke-milestone-in-order-to-be-inclusive-virginia-county-wont-celebrate-americas-250th-anniversay-n429909

Remember that just the other day oldman wanted to use the withdrawal blip as a reason to RESTART the war in Afghanistan!

oldman is off his rocker and wants to blow things up.

Edited by Governor

5 minutes ago, Governor said:

Remember that just the other day oldman wanted to use the withdrawal blip as a reason to RESTART the war in Afghanistan!

oldman is off his rocker and wants to blow things up.

Taking my comment at the top of the article to respond to, and ignoring the body of the article,

is the worst kind of posting.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Taking my comment at the top of the article to respond to, and ignoring the body of the article,

is the worst kind of posting.

No one using dark mode on an iPhone, then setting the board to dark mode, can read any of your pasted article text. It’s black text on a dark blue background.

Edited by Governor

On 8/19/2021 at 12:39 PM, oldmanfan said:

From what perspective?  From a viral perspective, they are different viruses.  But from how it shows the depths to which America has sank, it is a perfect comparison.

The America of the 50's cared about things.  They cared about their children, they put their children's well being above politics.  There are literally politicians and just regular folk, some on this very board, who would rather see children die if it means they can cling to their political stance.  Think about that - there are folks who would be OK watching their own child die if it means their political side claim claim some sort of bizarre victory.  

People believed in science back then too.  They understood that back then, as well as now, people spent years in the education and training to become doctors and scientists because they felt called to eradicate disease.  People understood back then that science is a process, and that when presented with data and facts you alter your approach to treatments as more data was obtained.  Now, people think everyone who is trying to defeat Covid has some sort of sinister ulterior motive.  People get on Facebook and plant crap like there are chips in the vaccines trying to control you.  And they use that, again, as a way to try and kill more people to buttress a political philosophy.

People used to care about each other back then, especially cared about the kids. They used to care about the truth, about their country.   Not anymore.  They only care about themselves.  And before I get the "if you don't like it, leave crap",  I'll say this.  I'm not the one who hates this country.  Maybe not you SCBills, but the people who do the crap that I talked about here.  They hate this country, they hate what it stands for, and they should be the ones who get the hell out.

1950s America was absolutely a wonderful time, for some.  

It was also a time when information (also called the “truth”) was tightly controlled by a precious few conglomerates, working folks had little insight into the workings of the government and the elite, segregation was normal, the FBI and other intelligence agencies were up to all sorts of dirty tricks, individuals were routinely treated as second class citizens (or much worse)  and the political landscape was populated with  concepts like “McCarthyism”.  

Billy Joel sings “the good old days weren’t alway good and tomorrow ain’t as bad as it seems”. He’s right. 

With progress comes growing pains.  There are 50 things about that progress that irritate or sadden me, but there are many things we can be proud of as well.  

In the end, skepticism and the quest for more information is a good thing, even where the science is concerned.  

Trust, investigate, verify, proceed.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Governor said:

Extremely safe. We’re seeing the introduction of what the war will look like in Florida. Take federal dollars away to change political behavior in states that can’t sustain themselves. When those politicians double and triple down on crazy, punish them until the people in those states replace them with normal people.

Trump fired the first shots early in the pandemic when he decided to punish blue states for political gain.

You can really take it all the way back to when the GOP refused to give money to a Republican Governor in NJ for hurricane Sandy. That opened a lot of people’s eyes. The whole Obama/Christie hug thing.

Cuomo did a pretty good job of reminding people of that reality when Trump tried it during the pandemic. His approval rating shot through the roof in the coming weeks.

I’ll play:

How did Trump punish blue states during the pandemic? 

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, Buffarukus said:

Whichever side I think I can profit off of.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Buffarukus said:

awww what a milktoast answer. no fence sitting. choose a side and reason why.

Buffalo area because my friends and family all live here. 

If this country truly did split in two you'd slowly see a return to policies where we are now on the political spectrum in both sections.  Then we'd pry talk about rejoining. 

47 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’ll play:

How did Trump punish blue states during the pandemic? 

You shouldn't bother.  He doesn't apparently think before he posts anything.  And if he does think before posting, then LOL.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, snafu said:

You shouldn't bother.  He doesn't apparently think before he posts anything.  And if he does think before posting, then LOL.

I’m always willing to try. He offered a lot of stuff there but that’s the first time I’d heard that one about how Trump’s pandemic response punished blue states. How exactly? Maybe you know? 

I live in deep blue California and I’ve never heard one person say that. 

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

I’m always willing to try. He offered a lot of stuff there but that’s the first time I’d heard that one about how Trump’s pandemic response punished blue states. How exactly? Maybe you know? 

I live in deep blue California and I’ve never heard one person say that. 

I absolutely don't know.  Especially because two of the bluest governors (Newsom and Cuomo) each publicly said that Trump gave them everything they asked for.

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Buffalo area because my friends and family all live here. 

If this country truly did split in two you'd slowly see a return to policies where we are now on the political spectrum in both sections.  Then we'd pry talk about rejoining. 

i hope thats true. but not seeing how people arent looking at the 2 extremes. id say portland is one and city in texas? florida? is the other? homeless, recalls, fmla, pfl, massive amounts of social saftey net abuse, soft on crime only going further in that direction incredible overreach on regulations for basic things including simple changes you want to make ON THE PROPERTY YOU BOUGHT and corruption of those benefiting. taxes on top of taxes to pay for it all with constant surplus debt because they can't. no end in sight because pulling back on any of it will upset a large portion of the voting base. 

i just dont see how its even comparable. maybe losing abortion rights and having a christian overreach?

i live in buffalo so maybe its the same in republican cities. 

it simply is not sustainable from this aspect.

Edited by Buffarukus

23 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

i hope thats true. but not seeing how people arent looking at the 2 extremes. id say portland is one and city in texas? florida? is the other? homeless, recalls, fmla, pfl, massive amounts of social saftey net abuse, soft on crime only going further in that direction incredible overreach on regulations for basic things including simple changes you want to make ON THE PROPERTY YOU BOUGHT and corruption of those benefiting. taxes on top of taxes to pay for it all with constant surplus debt because they can't. no end in sight because pulling back on any of it will upset a large portion of the voting base. 

i just dont see how its even comparable. maybe losing abortion rights and having a christian overreach?

i live in buffalo so maybe its the same in republican cities. 

it simply is not sustainable from this aspect.

The more I think about it the more unlikely it is for any state to secede from the union based on historical and legal precedence.  The Civil War basically wiped out that option for states giving a lot of power to the federal government.  I guess we're just going to have to learn to live with each other.

40 minutes ago, snafu said:

I absolutely don't know.  Especially because two of the bluest governors (Newsom and Cuomo) each publicly said that Trump gave them everything they asked for.

Lol, all while claiming it would be over by April! And that it wasn’t tha5 bad, and other lies. 

Trump is a POS 

4 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Lol, all while claiming it would be over by April! And that it wasn’t tha5 bad, and other lies. 

Trump is a POS 

That’s not a lie…it’s an opinion you nitwit! 

And again, how did his opinion impact blue states. 

29 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Trump is a POS 

That wasn't what we were discussing.

Thanks for chiming in, surly.

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

The more I think about it the more unlikely it is for any state to secede from the union based on historical and legal precedence.  The Civil War basically wiped out that option for states giving a lot of power to the federal government.  I guess we're just going to have to learn to live with each other.

your talking about a country that was preparing for major cities to burn to the ground if a certain result was not confirmed in the last election and the other storming to stop a confirmation. id say that's a good indicator its headed in that direction.

i know this stuff has pretty much been normalized at this point so we barely even discuss it anymore (well one of them anyhow)....but that aint normal 

Edited by Buffarukus

I keep forgetting SEC America would no doubt include almost all of the upper midwest - Ohio, Indiana, Minnesota minus Minneapolis, Wisconsin minus Madison and Milwaukee - we can allow to all be autonomous zones like Chaz; and Michigan minus Detroit and the small Eastern half of the state that votes socialist.  You're out.  

Our negotiations with PA will be easy. Philadelphia and Scranton - out - we get the rest of the state.  

Western NY we definitely will make it work you also provide a strategic border with Canada and access to all that hydroelectric power.....and the Bills.  

Lol Wokeistan is basically going to be the Northeast, Northern Virginia (there are 3 counties in NOVA that are the problem you can have them), Minnesota, and the West Coast. 

Everyone else remaining in their SEC America that wants to join them (probably 10% of the pop) we will gladly ship you to one of those locations you can choose which.  

Edited by Big Blitz

54 minutes ago, Governor said:

So you’re basing your OPINION on somebody else’s OPINION. Brilliant 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

This is a topic where conservatives and republicans lose me. Why isn’t the freedom to control your own life parental decisions extended to this? 

parents who don’t want kids but life the fun process of making them don’t become good parents because the government tells them. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

This is a topic where conservatives and republicans lose me. Why isn’t the freedom to control your own life parental decisions extended to this? 

parents who don’t want kids but life the fun process of making them don’t become good parents because the government tells them. 

What? It’s not your life to do whatever you please! To quote Obama ‘you didn’t build that’. Come on Man!