Call your shot: How is DE battle resolved? (update - after preseason games)

Call your shot: How is DE battle resolved?  

236 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the odd man out?

• Jerry Hughes
    • Mario Addison
    • Efe Obada
    • A.J. Epenesa
    • Greg Rousseau
    • Boogie Basham
    • Darryl Johnson
    • Nobody, we keep 7 DEs.

Each day I wonder more how this gets resolved.

Jerry was our best DE last year and he is a valuable vet presence.

They seem to like Addison, he is a vet and he took a paycut to stay. I can still hardly imagine Beane cutting him.

AJ is in his second year and seems to be doing good - I almost excluded him from the poll.

Obada seems to be doing great and has already proven something.

Groot is 1st round pick and looked great so far. He shouldn't even be in the poll.

Johnson receives great praise from the coaches all the time, like today from Frasier, and he is a core special teamer, which they value a lot.

Basham seems to be clearly the weakest of the bunch right now, but he is a 2nd round pick and it will be extremely risky/impossible to try to sneak him into PS.

I seriously doubt we will keep 7 DEs.

So what is your solution?

I don't see any. I prefer trading Addison but I doubt Beane can do it. So I go with trading Obada, even though I'd hate it.

Edited by No_Matter_What

Just now, Captain_Quint said:

I think we see an injury to someone, and they go on the designated return list for later in the year. Similar to Kroft last year or 2 years ago. 

Otherwise, I think Boogie goes to the practice squad this year.

No way is a 2nd round pick making it to the practice squad.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 21

Just now, Captain_Quint said:

I think we see an injury to someone, and they go on the designated return list for later in the year. Similar to Kroft last year or 2 years ago. 

Otherwise, I think Boogie goes to the practice squad this year.

He will not last there, unless there's some rule affording them PS safety that I'm not aware. A 2nd rounder with no red flags will get snatched up immediately.

• Agree 3

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31869693/nfl-carry-flexible-roster-rules-2021%3fplatform=amp

The rules include:

-Expansion of practice squads to 16 players, including up to six who have more than two accrued seasons.

-The ability to protect up to four practice squad players per week from being signed by other teams.

-Elevation of up to two practice squad players to the active roster, without removing any current players, before 4 p.m. ET the day before a game.

-Elevation of an additional practice squad player within 90 minutes before kickoff in the event of a late COVID-19 positive test result.

-Players placed on injured reserve can return after three weeks, rather than six as in normal seasons.

-Removal of the limit for how many players can be activated from injured reserve.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Captain_Quint said:

You can still protect up to 4 per week on the PS this year again (I thought). 

He wouldn't make it to the practice squad because he would have to first clear waivers. He's not clearing waivers. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We would have to waive Basham first, and there is no shot he clears. None. People need to relax on him, it was one preseason game. Hopefully Johnson gets cut to resolve this. He has not shown anything in his time here.

Edited by MWK
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, MWK said:

We would have to waive Basham first, and there is no shot he clears. None. People need to relax on him, it was one preseason game. Hopefully Johnson gets cut to resolve this. He has not shown anything in his time here.

I mean....nothing? Really? See Frasier, Leslie.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

We can easily eliminate a few guys from your list:

Addison won't be cut. He is owed $8.1M this year. He counts as an $8.05 dead cap hit if we cut him. Solid vet.

Jerry Hughes is our best pass rusher. Zero chance he gets cut.

Groot is a 1st round rookie and has been great. Zero chance.

Epenesa has looked solid and is a 2nd year player on rookie deal. Zero Chance.

Obada is cheap, has looked great, and has positional flexibility for $1.5M. He won't be cut.

Basham is a 2nd round rookie and can play DT and DE, which is valuable. He won't be cut, but might not dress.

That leaves 2 options:

- Cut Johnson, who is a great special teamer and decent depth

- Keep 7 guys, two of which can play inside and out. I think it will be this one.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Jerry could be moving on, we shall see

If there is an opportunity to fill a need by obtaining a player of similar caliber to Hughes, and the rest of the DE group looks solid, then yes, trading Hughes for a player would seem like a logical, if painful, move. If you think about it, if this was another rebuild year, Hughes would probably get shipped to a contender for a decent draft package. He could be a major missing piece for a good team looking to make a run, so he's a valuable asset.  

I don't think either side is looking to part ways, but business is business. Any trade partner would likely be a contender with a surplus of good players, so that would at least give Hughes a softer landing. I just don't know if they would want to give up his vet leadership. He's a major presence in that regard. 

• Disagree 1

In the first preseason game, Frazier rotated in some of the DE's into the DT rotation.  At one point our DL was Rousseau, Obada and Boogies at DT, and AJE on the other side.  

That just made this puzzle more intriguing, especially with Frazier saying he thinks they could add value there and wanted to get some looks at it while also giving heavy praise to Daryl Johnson.  

I mean would they consider 7 DE's and 3 DT's???  Seems less likely than going 6 DE and 4 DT, but then again they are getting looks at our DE's at DT at the same time, so who knows at this point.

Edited by Alphadawg7

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

They will keep 7, I think....and run them until they puke. Is that the right analogy? NASCAR?

Last year it wasn't complete protection, though, if I remember correctly. I think they were unprotected for like a day or something, then you could designate protections. Anyone remember the exact rules?

I understand McDermotts special teams addiction, but at some point Beane has gotta have an intervention and go with guys who can more directly effect the game on more frequent basis, especially when you are trying to win a championship.  DJ is the one to go, I hope he is being talked up for a trade, at least one can hope…, 

Go Bills!!!

I'd like to say Addison, but I think they'll keep him for veteran leadership. So I guess that's Johnson, but he is a special teams ace. So it's really a tough call.

Maybe the Bills will trade Addison? His contract is pretty restrictive, though.

I would not be against moving on from Hughes, but I don't see the coaches doing that to him.

• Agree 1

Just now, Don Otreply said:

I understand McDermotts special teams addiction, but at some point Beane has gotta have an intervention and go with guys who can more directly effect the game on more frequent basis, especially when you are trying to win a championship.  DJ is the one to go, I hope he is being talked up for a trade, at least one can hope…, 

Go Bills!!!

Bad take. The bottom roster guys do not get playing time on offense or defense, so guys who are actually good at special teams are far more valuable with guys who are those bottom roster guys.

Should we keep a guy who will get like 10 snaps on offense or defense and sucks at special teams, or a guy who gets slightly worse 10 snaps on offense or defense but rocks at special teams?

This is just simple value logic. The potential value for your team is significantly higher for the guys who are good at special teams, because their snaps on offense and defense will be extremely limited regardless.

And, btw, every team takes this approach. Not just McDermott.

• Dislike 1