Call your shot: How is DE battle resolved? (update - after preseason games)

Call your shot: How is DE battle resolved?  

236 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the odd man out?

• Jerry Hughes
    • Mario Addison
    • Efe Obada
    • A.J. Epenesa
    • Greg Rousseau
    • Boogie Basham
    • Darryl Johnson
    • Nobody, we keep 7 DEs.

Because of the cap hit, we would need to trade Addison instead of releasing him, and I don't think there will be any takers for $8 Million

I think Jerry Hughes stays with us for one final season and retires a Bill.

Darryl Johnson would only be kept because of his special teams prowess, but maybe Rousseau or Boogie can fill that role as a rookie.

I was excited about Obada, but he's had a quiet training camp and may not be a lock to make the 53

1 hour ago, Captain_Quint said:

I think we see an injury to someone, and they go on the designated return list for later in the year. Similar to Kroft last year or 2 years ago. 

Otherwise, I think Boogie goes to the practice squad this year.

Second round pick on a practice squad 😳

• Agree 1

Just now, MJS said:

Bad take. The bottom roster guys do not get playing time on offense or defense, so guys who are actually good at special teams are far more valuable with guys who are those bottom roster guys.

Should we keep a guy who will get like 10 snaps on offense or defense and sucks at special teams, or a guy who gets slightly worse 10 snaps on offense or defense but rocks at special teams?

This is just simple value logic. The potential value for your team is significantly higher for the guys who are good at special teams, because their snaps on offense and defense will be extremely limited regardless.

And, btw, every team takes this approach. Not just McDermott.

I’m not saying gut STs here, as it sounds like you think I’m implying, but our D as a whole is of higher importance than STs wouldn’t one think… consider the number of opportunities the D has to effect a game vs STs…,  So one can trim STs a little to gain more opportunities to better pressure an opponent’s offense. Tinkering around with the roster to gain even a little advantage is an on going thing all team take part in, not just the Bills. 

5 minutes ago, eball said:

11 D linemen this year:

Hughes, Addison, Groot, Boogie, Obada, Epenesa, Johnson, Star, Oliver, Phillips, Zimmer

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I would agree with you on that on Thursday but after  watching Bobby Hart dominating against Detroit he clearly earned him self a roaster spot !! 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I’m not saying gut STs here, as it sounds like you think I’m implying, but our D as a whole is of higher importance than STs wouldn’t one think… consider the number of opportunities the D has to effect a game vs STs…,  So one can trim STs a little to gain more opportunities to better pressure an opponent’s offense. Tinkering around with the roster to gain even a little advantage is an on going thing all team take part in, not just the Bills. 

And that won't happen because those bottom of the roster guys don't play. Special teamers actually do play.

Any time your starters leave the field, you are at a disadvantage. If your backups leave the field for 3rd stringers, you are at an even greater disadvantage, etc. The Bills like to rotate their defensive line, yes, but they still want the best possible players on the field for whatever that situation is. A 6th or 7th DE, for example, is not ever going to be the best player for a given situation unless you have a ton of injuries.

Just look at snap counts from previous years. There are guys who get virtually no snaps on offense or defense because you want the guys who are better to take all of those snaps or the majority. So, you actually gain an advantage when those guys who get no snaps on offense or defense are actually really good at special teams, because then they are contributing and you don't have to put your better players at risk playing on special teams.

45 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I understand McDermotts special teams addiction, but at some point Beane has gotta have an intervention and go with guys who can more directly effect the game on more frequent basis, especially when you are trying to win a championship.  DJ is the one to go, I hope he is being talked up for a trade, at least one can hope…, 

Go Bills!!!

I think their "addiction" is more like a moderate hobby. Special Teams was phase 3 of the rebuild and its an important part of the game. They need to maintain a standard there and not revert. They already lost Roberts.

Aqib Talib talked about special teams during the Chargers/Rams game after the play-by-play guy commented about not using ST in preseason games. The players know how important it is.

2 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

I think we see an injury to someone, and they go on the designated return list for later in the year. Similar to Kroft last year or 2 years ago. 

Otherwise, I think Boogie goes to the practice squad this year.

Sir there is literally no chance that a 2nd round pick goes to practice squad....would absolutely not clear waivers

2 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Each day I wonder more how this gets resolved.

Jerry was our best DE last year and he is a valuable vet presence.

They seem to like Addison, he is a vet and he took a paycut to stay. I can still hardly imagine Beane cutting him.

AJ is in his second year and seems to be doing good - I almost excluded him from the poll.

Obada seems to be doing great and has already proven something.

Groot is 1st round pick and looked great so far. He shouldn't even be in the poll.

Johnson receives great praise from the coaches all the time, like today from Frasier, and he is a core special teamer, which they value a lot.

Basham seems to be clearly the weakest of the bunch right now, but he is a 2nd round pick and it will be extremely risky/impossible to try to sneak him into PS.

I seriously doubt we will keep 7 DEs.

So what is your solution?

I don't see any. I prefer trading Addison but I doubt Beane can do it. So I go with trading Obada, even though I'd hate it.

AJE is a guy flying under the radar immensely for a 2nd round pick. He seems to be the forgotten man on this board. I wonder why?

21 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I think their "addiction" is more like a moderate hobby. Special Teams was phase 3 of the rebuild and its an important part of the game. They need to maintain a standard there and not revert. They already lost Roberts.

Aqib Talib talked about special teams during the Chargers/Rams game after the play-by-play guy commented about not using ST in preseason games. The players know how important it is.

I feel like at least 2-3 games are won or lost each year because of special teams. Any Bills fan who experienced the 90s will tell you that. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Bad take. The bottom roster guys do not get playing time on offense or defense, so guys who are actually good at special teams are far more valuable with guys who are those bottom roster guys.

Should we keep a guy who will get like 10 snaps on offense or defense and sucks at special teams, or a guy who gets slightly worse 10 snaps on offense or defense but rocks at special teams?

This is just simple value logic. The potential value for your team is significantly higher for the guys who are good at special teams, because their snaps on offense and defense will be extremely limited regardless.

And, btw, every team takes this approach. Not just McDermott.

Not necessarily true on the DLine with how much they rotate...even the last player on the DLine is probably getting about 20% of the snaps.

Guys, just stop with Boogie to the PS, it’s been stated a ton already, but you can’t waive a 2nd round pick, so he’s not going to the PS.

The answer is either Johnson or Obada gets cut or traded or they roll with all of them.  Surprise option might be a trade of a Vet.

• Agree 1

I'd love to read Beane's mind and find out, if he had known he was going to draft two DE with his first two picks, would he have restructured Addison and Butler?

I voted for Johnson as right now he seems lowest on the pecking order, but wouldn't be completely shocked if it was Addison that was cut.  Every year there's always one surprising cut; McCoy, Hause.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

And that won't happen because those bottom of the roster guys don't play. Special teamers actually do play.

Any time your starters leave the field, you are at a disadvantage. If your backups leave the field for 3rd stringers, you are at an even greater disadvantage, etc. The Bills like to rotate their defensive line, yes, but they still want the best possible players on the field for whatever that situation is. A 6th or 7th DE, for example, is not ever going to be the best player for a given situation unless you have a ton of injuries.

Just look at snap counts from previous years. There are guys who get virtually no snaps on offense or defense because you want the guys who are better to take all of those snaps or the majority. So, you actually gain an advantage when those guys who get no snaps on offense or defense are actually really good at special teams, because then they are contributing and you don't have to put your better players at risk playing on special teams.

I’m talking about one guy, again not wholesale gutting of our special teams…  but anyway, it will be entertaining to watch the final 53 plus PS happen, 

Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

I was talking about one guy, I was not talking about gutting our special teams…, some of y’all are not grasping this…, 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I’m talking about one guy, again not wholesale gutting of our special teams…  but anyway, it will be entertaining to watch the final 53 plus PS happen, 

Go Bills!!!

I was talking about one guy, I was not talking about gutting our special teams…, some of y’all are not grasping this…, 

You called it an "addiction" in a derogatory sense.

They should keep Johnson because he's a core guy on ST. They already lost a core guy, the core guy.

• Like (+1) 1