Gameday Postgame Thread Bills 16 Lions 15

Just now, Rochesterfan said:

Because like Campbell - they were playing a situation- not a regular season game.

Why would Detroit throw the ball near the end zone the drive before - it is not because Campbell is stupid - they were trying to use that as a chance to practice certain plays in a true game situation.

McD did the same thing - after the long completion- the next set of play calls would never happen in an actual game, but you want to see how you team reacts with no timeouts needing to move the ball.  I think he is happy they won, but more happy to try different things.

I also think he would of been fine if the clock had been moving and they had to rush the kicker out if he had gotten tackled in bounds.  They worked that scenario in practice and I think he would of loved that in the game - hence the play calls.

🤦‍♂️

solid excuse 👍🏻

• Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1
  • Dislike 5

4 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Brutal clock management once again by McClappy. 

How do you leave time on the clock there?

He was passing because he wanted to see Fromm throwing to win the game.  He doesn't learn about Fromm by handing off.  He did a lot of stuff you don't do during the season because the major point of preseason is cutting the right guys & not cutting the promising ones.  Any doubts look at Wyatt Teller.  They were going to cut him & traded him-big mistake that they don't want to make again.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:

I also think he would of been fine if the clock had been moving and they had to rush the kicker out if he had gotten tackled in bounds.  They worked that scenario in practice and I think he would of loved that in the game - hence the play calls.

I actually thought that McD was purposely going to do that.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Rochesterfan said:

McD did the same thing - after the long completion- the next set of play calls would never happen in an actual game, but you want to see how you team reacts with no timeouts needing to move the ball.  I think he is happy they won, but more happy to try different things.

In a regular game I have zero doubt they'd have attacked the endzone on first down after that, but I'm glad they didn't tonight.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Reader said:

Perhaps he doesn't think how we think and he is less concerned about winning. Maybe he wants to try different things in certain game situations, you know, being that this is preseason and all.

Then throw down the field.

What.  They needed to practice 3 consecutive dump offs for no gain OB?

• Thank you (+1) 1

I’ve been a fan of Stevenson for a while now. Unique skillset compared to the rest of our receivers. They don’t call him speedy for nothing. Guy has an extra gear. Long way to go yet, but if he keeps doing what he did tonight, no way they can get him through to PS. 

Also really intrigued by Hamlin. Hope the injury wasn’t serious because he was all over the place on D and ST.

Very happy to see Rousseau show up like he did. We really need additional juice at DE this year to get to where we want to go. Hoping it’s him. 

Not worried about any of the other draft picks just yet. It’s game 1 coming off an unprecedented year.  I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt and let them settle in. See how they do in game 2. 

1 minute ago, Albany,n.y. said:

He was passing because he wanted to see Fromm throwing to win the game.  He doesn't learn about Fromm by handing off.  He did a lot of stuff you don't do during the season because the major point of preseason is cutting the right guys & not cutting the promising ones.  Any doubts look at Wyatt Teller.  They were going to cut him & traded him-big mistake that they don't want to make again.  

I'd argue that you want to see how well players do playing situational football.   In that situation you run the ball, stay in bounds, run the clock down and call TO.    They did nothing even remotely close to that.

• Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

So he learns he can trust Fromm to protect the ball and Williams to be aware of where he is and a dozen other guys also get a bunch of live snaps running different combinations in a pressure situation. That's a win.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

I’ve been a fan of Stevenson for a while now. Unique skillset compared to the rest of our receivers. They don’t call him speedy for nothing. Guy has an extra gear. Long way to go yet, but if he keeps doing what he did tonight, no way they can get him through to PS. 

Also really intrigued by Hamlin. Hope the injury wasn’t serious because he was all over the place on D and ST.

Very happy to see Rousseau show up like he did. We really need additional juice at DE this year to get to where we want to go. Hoping it’s him. 

Not worried about any of the other draft picks just yet. It’s game 1 coming off an unprecedented year.  I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt and let them settle in. See how they do in game 2. 

Hamlin played after he was dinged so I think he’s all right. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Maybe Fromm failed and they will use it as a learning point.

Yes - it was obvious they were playing with an exact situation in mind.  Late 4th quarter - no timeouts - need 1 more first down.  Fromm completed passes, but the guys did not execute the attempt.   It will be discussed and used as a teaching points for all of the players.

McD talked about wanting these situations and that he was going to do things in these games he would not do in the regular season just to give live situations to both players and coaches - they talked about that pre-game.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Fromm was the man tonight.

Nice conversion on the 3rd and long to keep the the drive going for the win !

I appreciated the fact that he recognized he was too geeked and then settled himself down enough to take a little off that second throw downfield. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

I'd argue that you want to see how well players do playing situational football.   In that situation you run the ball, stay in bounds, run the clock down and call TO.    They did nothing even remotely close to that.

Then you don't see what Fromm can do.  Seeing Fromm throw was more important than worrying about situational football with most of the guys on the field being guys who won't be here in September.  They have a big decision to make on Fromm because Trubisky is on a 1 year contract & they want to see if Fromm can be the backup in 2022.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, nkreed said:

Can we compare Stevenson to Mackenzie? Cause that's the place he would have to usurp. And the one chance Mackenzie had to catch this game he couldn't.

I like the idea of jet sweeps with him.

I’m sure he’ll get more chances next PS game, but the two times McKenzie touched the ball he had a dropped pass and a crappy punt return.

3 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Which is what they would do in a real game, but what happens if it was a snowy game or that completion only got them to mid field - the smart coaches devise a plan and tell his coaches - let’s try to get 1 more first down with no time outs.

They purposely called the timeout just to allow the extra plays.

McD was fine last year when needed in late game, but no - you think in a pre season game - he mismanaged the clock.  Good grief.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Simon said:

I appreciated the fact that he recognized he was too geeked and then settled himself down enough to take a little off that second throw downfield. :thumbsup:

I mean maybe might just be that Stevenson has a bit more get up and go than Duke Williams.

2 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Then you don't see what Fromm can do.  Seeing Fromm throw was more important than worrying about situational football with most of the guys on the field being guys who won't be here in September.  They have a big decision to make on Fromm because Trubisky is on a 1 year contract & they want to see if Fromm can be the backup in 2022.  

I get it, but you're going to judge him on those plays?  If that's the case, call something dow field, let him stretch out his arm a bit.