Tasker & Brown don't know the cap rules

25 minutes ago, The Dean said:

i

So what? He's being paid to do a job and his is shirking his duties. That's why. Can you imagine if he approached playing football with the attitude you suggest?  He isn't a football player anymore, he is a broadcaster. His contributions on the field are a completely different matter. I have mad respect for what he did as a Bill. But as a broadcaster, he is cringeworthy.

With that said, I think there may be bonus payments that can be spread into later years, if they aren't due until future years. But I'm not positive about that.

Yes, you get to spread out the bonus 5 years counting the year it's paid.  Josh gets his 2nd bonus next year and it will be spread out in 2022-2026.  He has bonuses in some years & they are spread out either the next 5 years, or if the contract ends before that 5 year period, through the final year of the contract.  

45 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Steve Tasker was one of the greatest special teams players of all time.  And a pretty solid WR.  He gave his blood sweat and tears to the Bills.  Was an excellent analyst for CBS, and is a great ambassador for the team....Period.  So he is not 100% up to the speed on the nuances of the salary cap.  SO WHAT!!  

OJ Simpson was one of the greatest running backs of all time.  He gave his blood sweat and tears to the Bills.  Was an excellent analyst for NBC, and was a great ambassador for the team...for years.  So he had a bad day in 1994. SO WHAT!! 

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Haha (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Doc said:

I never knew that myself.  Although why it would just be limited to 5 years and not the life of the contract I guess is the real question.

To prevent teams from having 100 voidable years on contracts.  It has also been limited to not exceed the end of the CBA in the past.  Not sure if the current one has that clause or not. 

5 hours ago, eball said:

Chris Brown is a Bills’ shill who loves to hear himself speak, yet rarely says anything enlightening.

Steve Tasker was a wonderful ST ace and pretty good WR.

I was up there last week and had never really listened to the Brown/Tasker show before - didn't realize Brown was such a goof, for some reason I thought he actually reported on football.   I took some long drives multiple days during the week out to fishing spots in (real) outlying areas - hours in the car listening to Buffalo "sports radio" - between Brown's blathering and WGR - it felt like I got ~10 mins of actual Bills sports coverage in the many hrs of listening (20 mins of outrage over filling up your tire with air? really? in the middle of TC?)

Fun side story: one day we were driving through all these one intersection towns way out in the middle of nowhere (to us) and we see a sign for a college and me and my son start laughing - wth is a college doing way out here.  As we pass I see a baseball field with a sign 'Kerr-Pegula' field.  We google it and sure enough we passed Kim's alma mater - Houghton college.  Man there is not a lot around there

Edited by stevewin

3 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I know that they get this stuff wrong, but they are just there to provide good feelings to fans.  They do not typically have good info or intel - unless the Bills want them to have something.

What I really noticed with the way this is set up is the flexibility built in.  
They have the initial bonus for 5 years starting now (2021-2025).

They have the option bonus next year running (2022-2026).

They have the big salary jump for 2023, but the extra years means if they convert the 2023 salary to a signing bonus (ala’ Mahomes and Tre’ White) - they can free up about 10 million in 2023 and spread that out (2023-2027).

They can repeat that in 2024 by changing the base salary to bonus and save about 5-7 million for 2024 and spread that out (2024-2028).

Then they switch tactics to signing bonuses starting in 2025 and hopefully by that time the salary cap will be balanced out from COVID and more importantly- the new TV money is in place and we see huge jumps in salary cap from 2023 to 2024 and especially in 2025 - allowing this contract to be below new market value as the market skyrockets.

All of this conjecture is well and fine but just like 2020.....we have NO idea of whats in the future.  I  hate to say it but things have seemingly changed for the worse.  I am not a sky is falling kinda guy but as last season shows we are less in control than we thought......sad but true

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Steve Tasker was one of the greatest special teams players of all time.  And a pretty solid WR.  He gave his blood sweat and tears to the Bills.  Was an excellent analyst for CBS, and is a great ambassador for the team....Period.  So he is not 100% up to the speed on the nuances of the salary cap.  SO WHAT!!  

That is simply NOT true - if it were he would be gainfully employed by CBS or any of the other major networks not doing podcasts.

All your other points are spot on.  I have met the man a few times.  Uber competitive, gives you very little time from what I observed and generally seems like a nice guy.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

All of this conjecture is well and fine but just like 2020.....we have NO idea of whats in the future.  I  hate to say it but things have seemingly changed for the worse.  I am not a sky is falling kinda guy but as last season shows we are less in control than we thought......sad but true

I am not sure what this means.

We have as much control as possible with a fantastic team and loads of flexibility to open more cap space as needed.

3 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I am not sure what this means.

We have as much control as possible with a fantastic team and loads of flexibility to open more cap space as needed.

I am sorry I was vague about the C19 and didn't realize it till you pointed it out.  Guess I am gun shy on bringing it up.  I am saying that this whole health fiasco and the managing and some would say mismanaging it brings me to the conclusion that things are not as simple as they seem going forward as say in the past perhaps.  Yes we ASSUME the caps will rise like the tides do but we do not have any crystal ball that says they in reality will. 

10 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

I am sorry I was vague about the C19 and didn't realize it till you pointed it out.  Guess I am gun shy on bringing it up.  I am saying that this whole health fiasco and the managing and some would say mismanaging it brings me to the conclusion that things are not as simple as they seem going forward as say in the past perhaps.  Yes we ASSUME the caps will rise like the tides do but we do not have any crystal ball that says they in reality will. 

Ok - I totally agree with that assessment.

I think with the things they can control - like contracts - they are ok, but there are things like the cap that could change, but the NFL/NFLPA put in a guideline for the GMs for next year and once TV contracts go into effect - that is outside most of this business, but yes there may be unforeseen issues.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, eball said:

Chris Brown is a Bills’ shill who loves to hear himself speak, yet rarely says anything enlightening.

Steve Tasker was a wonderful ST ace and pretty good WR.

Chris Brown and Steve are Ok. I enjoy their show, they are fun if not up to speed all the time.
Then again, I do not view them as "Bills News" at all, I see them as "Bills Entertainment."

6 hours ago, Doc said:

According to Spotrac, Josh has (just) a $16.5M signing bonus which is spread-out over 2021-2025.  Not sure why 2026-2028 aren't included but that's why I'm not getting the big bucks.

I suspect they gave themselves the ability to sign him to longer terms in the future and convert salary to signing bonus. Josh is now a Buffalo lifer and will do whatever opens the dollars up as needed.

• Like (+1) 1

I say give me all the Bills propaganda and banter you got! As an out of towner constantly jonesing for my Bills audio fixes whilst sitting in Atlanta traffic, you can do a lot worse than streaming OBL, imho. And how soon so many of you apparently forgot one John Murphy who was constantly berated on these boards as a terrible radio guy, and CB when guesting usually got better reviews than Murph. I know what I’m getting when I listen, and am perfectly content with it, as it’s nonstop positive Bills talk! :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

OJ Simpson was one of the greatest running backs of all time.  He gave his blood sweat and tears to the Bills.  Was an excellent analyst for NBC, and was a great ambassador for the team...for years.  So he had a bad day in 1994. SO WHAT!! 

:flirt:

2 hours ago, stevewin said:

I was up there last week and had never really listened to the Brown/Tasker show before - didn't realize Brown was such a goof, for some reason I thought he actually reported on football.   I took some long drives multiple days during the week out to fishing spots in (real) outlying areas - hours in the car listening to Buffalo "sports radio" - between Brown's blathering and WGR - it felt like I got ~10 mins of actual Bills sports coverage in the many hrs of listening (20 mins of outrage over filling up your tire with air? really? in the middle of TC?)

Fun side story: one day we were driving through all these one intersection towns way out in the middle of nowhere (to us) and we see a sign for a college and me and my son start laughing - wth is a college doing way out here.  As we pass I see a baseball field with a sign 'Kerr-Pegula' field.  We google it and sure enough we passed Kim's alma mater - Houghton college.  Man there is not a lot around there

You were around my old stomping grounds (Rushford).

Did you pull any Smallies out of the Genesee?

I listen often and for the most part I like it.  Mostly cause of the content being Buffalo bills.  However Brown is kind of a hack and constantly over exaggerates a la Dierdorf.  The worst part is the screaming and mic saturation.  They can’t get him better equipment?

29 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

So what exactly is your motive OP?  To prove to the message board how smart you are?  🤔 They simply stated it was spread out over time. 

My point is it you are broadcasting on one of the biggest stations in Buffalo, you shouldn't be giving your audience incorrect information about the largest sports contract in team history.  Whether they like it or not, they are being paid to be accurate on factual information.  

It is not a podcast as some have called the program.  It is on a 50,000 watt station that can be heard 200 miles away and anywhere on the internet.  They need to be more responsible.  I doubt Sal would ever open his show not knowing what he is talking about. 

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

My point is it you are broadcasting on one of the biggest stations in Buffalo, you shouldn't be giving your audience incorrect information about the largest sports contract in team history.  Whether they like it or not, they are being paid to be accurate on factual information.  

It is not a podcast as some have called the program.  It is on a 50,000 watt station that can be heard 200 miles away and anywhere on the internet.  They need to be more responsible.  I doubt Sal would ever open his show not knowing what he is talking about. 

It's a Bills centric show. They are both associated and involved with the Bills. One would think when they pass along factually verifiable information, they have the correct information. 

I didn't hear what they said (I'm in Florida) so I don't know if they blew it or not. But if they did, then shame on them. Now if they come back tomorrow and talk about their mistake, then good for them. People make mistakes. Admitting them does wonders for the reputation, IMO.

As for the individuals, I don't care that much for Brown, but he is the company flack. It's Tasker that really bothers me, because I think he could be fairly good, if he worked at it. 

12 hours ago, Simon said:

You were around my old stomping grounds (Rushford).

Did you pull any Smallies out of the Genesee?

Brownies, actually

Saw a LOT of that area around the Genesee that day - the levels in a lot of my dad's favorite streams were low so he took us out there to a spot he (thought) he remembered from a while back.  Turned into a lot of driving trying to find it, but ended up a good day

Looking at the map - I guess we did pass right through Rushford - I remember the lake, but not the town (I must have blinked 😛 )

Edited by stevewin

This topic appears to be much ado over virtually nothing, I mean really, what’s it matter if they aren’t spot on?  it’s a talk show after all, the people who have to know the specifics, know the specifics…, and that’s all that matters. 

Go Bills!!!

On 8/10/2021 at 7:17 AM, Don Otreply said:

This topic appears to be much ado over virtually nothing, I mean really, what’s it matter if they aren’t spot on?  it’s a talk show after all, the people who have to know the specifics, know the specifics…, and that’s all that matters. 

Go Bills!!!

This laziness started when people stopped reading newspapers🤩

• Agree 1