Training Camp practice 7/29

I may be a bit late to the game--had a long, long day--but I re-watched the interview with Emmanuel Sanders, and he had one of the coolest, most well thought-out quotes I've heard from an NFL player:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bubxaUhQ5v0

Skip ahead to 5:40 - 6:02 into the interview; Sanders says:

“I think that, when you want to talk about an organization, about a football team in general, that’s what I mean about fun. You got a group of guys that is passionate about what they do. And you would think that everybody’s passionate about it, but, ahhh… some people is just good at it. Passion and good is two different things, and so I think that in this building we’ve got a lot of guys that are passionate about what they are doing, and they want to be successful, and they are having fun doing what they love to do.” 

If that isn't a McDermott/Beane sentiment, I'm not sure what is. Whether he is out of gas or not, Sanders is going to bring the mindset we need to level up. Glad we have him on this team, and stoked to see what he brings on gameday!

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Yeah, it's gonna be tough to choose who rounds out the group. It really depends on how Stevenson and Hodgins progress through camp/preseason.

Stevenson grabbed a deep ball from Fromm where he got good separation. If he keeps doing that, it's gonna be hard to try to hide him on the PS.

Fromm !!!

Stevenson will make the team. There will be no doubt about it !

• Like (+1) 1

Josh Allen was feeling it
Basham may have made the play of the day, but there were other candidates, including a few throws from Allen. In past training camps, Allen and the offense have started slow. Even during his breakout 2020 season, the signs weren’t there early in camp.

But Allen’s first two days of training camp in 2021 might be the best two-day stretch of practices he’s made since entering the NFL. He’s calm and sure of himself in the pocket, and his accuracy has come a long way since his rookie season. 

In total, Allen went 15-for-20 during team drills. He had the interception to Basham, a throwaway, a pass that bounced off Stefon Diggs’ hands and two forced incompletions due to pressure. Other than that, Allen was on target and pushing the ball down field. The throw to Beasley garnered most of the attention, but Allen spread the ball around to all of his receivers and made easy work of a tough Bills secondary. On day one of camp, Allen made a few sensational plays off script, including a touchdown to Diggs. But Thursday was about what Allen did on schedule. He’s accurate and in-control of the offense, two qualities he’s consistently improved during his time in the NFL.

“Josh Allen is a football player, not only just a quarterback,” Diggs said. “It’s kind of hard to describe, a guy that drops back and does everything, a guy that can go off script and make those throws and play a little bit of backyard football or extend the play. A guy like that, you want to take that next step with him.”

Added Beasley: “Josh was still improving every game in my opinion, last year. He’s still a young player. You guys probably know better than I do how many games he’s started in his career, I mean it’s really not that many. And for a guy to kind of explode like he did last year at such a young age, it’s like, how good can he really be? It’s kind of crazy to think about, but knowing him, I know he’s gonna put in that work every day and the sky’s the limit for him. I’m pumped that I get to be here and be a part of it because he can throw it anywhere on the field and anytime you got a guy like that and it’s on me just to get open for him, he’s gonna get it.”

Cole Beasley keeps making catches
Beasley’s social media behavior and vaccine comments got him attention over the summer, but his play on the field has been noteworthy to start camp. In two days of practice, Beasley has caught three touchdowns. He had five catches during team drills on Thursday, including the play that made Sanders take notice. There may not be another player on this team more capable of handling Allen’s fastball. On the first day of practice, he caught a bullet from short range. He’s exceptional at adjusting and reacting even when the ball arrives in a spot he wasn’t expecting. When he and Emmanuel Sanders are both in the slot, this offense is going to be tough to defend.

Isaiah McKenzie is still a pest

And on Thursday, McKenzie was all over the place making tough catches. McKenzie had six total catches on Thursday, four from Mitchell Trubisky and two from Allen. He was also dominant in one-on-one drills at the start of practice. McKenzie has survived every competition he’s been a part of in Buffalo.

Marquez Stevenson is making an early impact
Marquez Stevenson is among the fastest players on the Bills’ roster. That much has been obvious through two practices. He’s also finding ways to get open and separate himself from the other receivers battling for a spot on the backend of the roster. He caught a touchdown on Thursday and left the closest defender yards away him with his quickness out of his break. During one-on-ones earlier in practice, Stevenson ran by Levi Wallace, who ended up grabbing Stevenson’s jersey to slow him down. That type of speed would be a welcome addition to the Bills’ receiver depth chart. He may not be an immediate contributor, but Stevenson is worth developing. His path to the field in 2021 will likely come as a return man, but he’s showing the necessary skills to play receiver in the NFL, too.

Siran Neal has a role on this defense
The Bills deserve credit for coming up with a plan for Siran Neal, adjusting it when needed and finding a way to maximize his talent. Neal is a handful as a cornerback. During one-on-ones, he had a rep against Gabriel Davis during which the second-year receiver could hardly get an inch of separation. During team drills, Neal came down with an interception and ran it back for a touchdown.

This season, Dane Jackson is the player many expect to take Wallace’s job. While Jackson is a promising young corner who fits in the locker room perfectly and has plenty of potential, Wallace is outperforming him through two days. Wallace has been more consistent. He doesn’t make as many splash plays as Jackson, but he also doesn’t make as many mistakes. Jackson had a pass break up on Thursday but also allowed multiple catches underneath and struggled during one-on-ones. This competition is far from settled, but Wallace has an edge.

Greg Rousseau didn’t play football last season, but he hasn’t looked out of place early in training camp. We’ll learn more about him when pads come on, but he forced an errant throw from Allen with pressure and also had a sack during team drills in practice. His height and length create a lot of problems for defenses. He, A.J. Epenesa and Basham have all taken advantage of Jerry Hughes’ current absence due to a calf injury.

• Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Any chance of a summary?

-Micah Hyde smiling ear to ear over what the new guys (specifically Basham) are bringing up front, Boogie taking it to the house play of TC thus far;

-Rousseau constantly in the backfield, good sign for the defensive pressure that was lacking often last year beyond Hughes, and will make life for our LBs and DBs so much easier;

-Josh’s already infamous pass to Beasley, the video doesn’t do it justice, Josh had pressure in his face but still let the play develop and perfectly timed the throw which was of a superstar caliber between our all-pro safeties;

-“McKenzie is the best backup in the NFL”—would be starting anywhere else already; best part of his game is there is basically no transition time lost between time he catches to the time he starts running—he’s so fluid he catches without breaking his strides/progressions, and that’s a big leg up against defenders; a glue guy loved in the locker room, a low key leader 

-discuss Siran Neal, “a roster lock” bc of all the different hats he wears for the team, also stood out today; Jordan Poyer claims Neal is the best athlete he’s seen in his career(!)—the McKenzie of the D, Swiss Army knife;

-Trubisky came back to earth today, not bad, but when compared to JA, it was still noticeable the drop off; 

-Cody Ford has looked good, healthy, and has been playing consistently in his drills, good signs—but can’t tell us at which position exactly;

Dane Jackson hype although a somewhat down day in one on one drills.

There’s more in there but these were the main topics…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Really wish they added someone who’s better than both Levi and Jackson.... actually a bit surprised they continue to have Levi opposite White.

The other CB spots are kinda like the RBs of the defense in that the Bills are not going to pay big money to one. They'll constantly draft guys and keep the competition going. Levi's really not that bad.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

-Micah Hyde smiling ear to ear over what the new guys (specifically Basham) are bringing up front, Boogie taking it to the house play of TC thus far;

-Rousseau constantly in the backfield, good sign for the defensive pressure that was lacking often last year beyond Hughes, and will make life for our LBs and DBs so much easier;

-Josh’s already infamous pass to Beasley, the video doesn’t do it justice, Josh had pressure in his face but still let the play develop and perfectly timed the throw which was of a superstar caliber between our all-pro safeties;

-“McKenzie is the best backup in the NFL”—would be starting anywhere else already; best part of his game is there is basically no transition time lost between time he catches to the time he starts running—he’s so fluid he catches without breaking his strides/progressions, and that’s a big leg up against defenders; a glue guy loved in the locker room, a low key leader 

-discuss Siran Neal, “a roster lock” bc of all the different hats he wears for the team, also stood out today; Jordan Poyer claims Neal is the best athlete he’s seen in his career(!)—the McKenzie of the D, Swiss Army knife;

-Trubisky came back to earth today, not bad, but when compared to JA, it was still noticeable the drop off; 

-Cody Ford has looked good, healthy, and has been playing consistently in his drills, good signs—but can’t tell us at which position exactly;

Dane Jackson hype although a somewhat down day in one on one drills.

There’s more in there but these were the main topics…

Awesome, thanks a Ton!

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Really wish they added someone who’s better than both Levi and Jackson.... actually a bit surprised they continue to have Levi opposite White.

CB2 is not that an important position in this scheme. Wallace does what he is supposed to, play back to prevent big plays and tackle the receiver. The d-line was by far our biggest problem last year.

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

The other CB spots are kinda like the RBs of the defense in that the Bills are not going to pay big money to one. They'll constantly draft guys and keep the competition going. Levi's really not that bad.

We didn’t have to pay “big bucks”. We could’ve drafted one or signed one for 4M. That’s not big bucks.  

i really hope Dane can become a solid #2 corner.. I thought we’d add a Cb in FA or higher in the draft.  I’m assuming they didn’t because they love Dane and expect him to step up

Or maybe, by seasons end, Wildgoose can take his game to another level in the nfl with proper coaching and being a part of this culture.  This process.

Bottom line for me:  I hope that Levi isn’t cb2 in the AFCCG vs the chiefs. 

53 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

CB2 is not that an important position in this scheme. Wallace does what he is supposed to, play back to prevent big plays and tackle the receiver. The d-line was by far our biggest problem last year.

the DLine was a bigger problem.  I agree.  That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t look to upgrade the next biggest problem.  He’s slow and weak.  I don’t feel he’s an adequate cb2 for a team with serious super bowl aspirations.  Strictly zone corners are a liability in man.  We like to play man on 3rd down.  Do the math

11 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Diggs

Beasley 

Sanders 

Davis

McKenzie 

Kumerow 

That's going to be the 6 WRs.  And it's nasty.  So what happens to Hodgins and the others in this scenario?

How do you not keep the guy Rodgers is telling you is very good?  

I hear you with this list. Only that last spot seems up for debate.

I don't like leaving Hodgins exposed on the PS, as I think that guy is going to play in this league. Also, Stevenson's speed and return ability is intriguing (and lacking outside of McKenzie), but of course I understand the numbers game there. Those are the two I could see instead of Kumerow. 

3 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

I hear you with this list. Only that last spot seems up for debate.

I don't like leaving Hodgins exposed on the PS, as I think that guy is going to play in this league. Also, Stevenson's speed and return ability is intriguing (and lacking outside of McKenzie), but of course I understand the numbers game there. Those are the two I could see instead of Kumerow. 

As of right now, I do not feel like the Bills have to worry about another team plucking Hodgins from our practice squad and signing him to their 53...he was taken at the bottom of the draft and has shown nothing on tape to date...of course he could impress in the preseason, but right now he has nothing to show...

• Agree 3

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

the DLine was a bigger problem.  I agree.  That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t look to upgrade the next biggest problem.  He’s slow and weak.  I don’t feel he’s an adequate cb2 for a team with serious super bowl aspirations.  Strictly zone corners are a liability in man.  We like to play man on 3rd down.  Do the math

I think between Wallace, Jackson, Wildgoose, Hamlin and Griffin, Buffalo will see a player or two step up in our secondary. We must keep in mind that DB is McD’s specialty. Why spend a first on one when McD can get production out of guys drafted later in the draft?

7 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

I think between Wallace, Jackson, Wildgoose, Hamlin and Griffin, Buffalo will see a player or two step up in our secondary. We must keep in mind that DB is McD’s specialty. Why spend a first on one when McD can get production out of guys drafted later in the draft?

Because that’s fine about 85% of the time until you get into the playoffs and battle some of the elite pass offense. At which point it ain’t gonna cut it and you need somebody that can go out and change a game. Make a play. 

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

Wallace didn't cost us in the playoffs. He was at the bottom of the list of reasons we lost to the Chiefs. McDermott doesn't need his CB2 to do a lot, it is never a position he is going to invest a lot in. There wasn't really anyone available to sign anyways. This board got really into the idea of Steven Nelson for some reason but he is just a marginal starter which is why he signed a modest deal.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Wallace didn't cost us in the playoffs. He was at the bottom of the list of reasons we lost to the Chiefs. McDermott doesn't need his CB2 to do a lot, it is never a position he is going to invest a lot in. There wasn't really anyone available to sign anyways. This board got really into the idea of Steven Nelson for some reason but he is just a marginal starter which is why he signed a modest deal.

DL had a decent win rate all season, but that never seemed to translate to actual pressure, knockdowns, sacks etc..  Never more evident than the KC game.

But the biggest issue in the KC game was our defensive philosophy..

KC punched us in the mouth.  They bodied up, got physical with, and challenged the refs to call PI/holding every play against our banged up WR unit.

BUF, in turn, gave their receivers (and Kelce) free release - and, of course, with that free release and no pressure on Mahomes, it was simply too easy for KC.

Never once did I look back on that game and think ahhh if only we had a better CB2.

• Agree 3