Honest discussion about racism (non political)

I don’t really want this thread to be about mud slinging, but rather open and honest discussion about how we draw conclusions about racism...The following are just random thoughts and musings of how my brain tries to logically make sense of one of the bigger issues of the day...

Premise (2 issues)

(1) I never understood people who claimed that only white people could be racist because only they had power...(2) Because then those same people would turn around and say white people were inherently racist, like it was some gene that only white people were born with...But those are two different notions- If white people are born racist, why would they need power to be racist? Let’s examine...

Conclusion to issue #1

First of all, if, in order to be racist you must have power, what about in predominantly Asian countries, or Middle Eastern countries, or South American countries? Is a white person, who travels to those countries,” all of a sudden not racist because his race might not be the majority, or not in a position to have power? Furthermore, does that make those majority races racist because they have the power in those regions? And does this, in turn, show that racism and power are two mutually exclusive concepts that may or may not be connected in any given situation?

Conclusion to issue #2

Second of all, we all have an ego, which serves to protect the interests of the “self”...therefore, are we ALL not naturally hesitant and unsure of those things/people that seem unfamiliar or different to us, for the sake of self preservation?  Does this mean that we are ALL biologically hardwired to be racist?

Feel free to discuss...

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Imagine you’re given a Nintendo Wii (back when it was cool and cutting edge).  The objective of the entire gaming system is to simply develop your character through experience.  Today’s world can’t begin the games because they’re too busy fighting and arguing about what their character should look like and abilities they should already possess without experience, based on nothing more than their feelings.  So no one plays or has fun.  No one is developing their character.  And sadly, the entire purpose of the Wii is never fully realized.  

That’s the value of racism and the effects of not operating in a world of forgiveness, self-accountability and progression, moving away from, “what has my country done for me” and into, “how do I do for my country?”

Edited by Frat-Train
  • Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Frat-Train said:

Imagine you’re given a Nintendo Wii (back when it was cool and cutting edge).  The objective of the entire gaming system is to simply develop your character through experience.  Today’s world can’t begin the games because they’re too busy fighting and arguing about what their character should look like and abilities they should already possess without experience, based on nothing more than their feelings.  So no one plays or has fun.  No one is developing their character.  And sadly, the entire purpose of the Wii is never fully realized.  

That’s the value of racism and the effects of not operating in a world of forgiveness, self-accountability and progression, moving away from, “what has my country done for me” and into, “how do I do for my country?”

Very interesting perspective...👍

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I don’t really want this thread to be about mud slinging, but rather open and honest discussion about how we draw conclusions about racism...The following are just random thoughts and musings of how my brain tries to logically make sense of one of the bigger issues of the day...

Premise (2 issues)

(1) I never understood people who claimed that only white people could be racist because only they had power...(2) Because then those same people would turn around and say white people were inherently racist, like it was some gene that only white people were born with...But those are two different notions- If white people are born racist, why would they need power to be racist?

Conclusion to issue #1

First of all, if, in order to be racist you must have power, what about in predominantly Asian countries, or Middle Eastern countries, or South American countries? Is a white person, who travels to those countries,” all of a sudden not racist because his race might not be the majority, or not in a position to have power? Furthermore, does that make those majority races racist because they have the power in those regions? And does this, in turn, show that racism and power are two mutually exclusive concepts that may or may not be connected in any given situation?

Conclusion to issue #2

Second of all, we all have an ego, which serves to protect the interests of the “self”...therefore, are we ALL not naturally hesitant and unsure of those things/people that seem unfamiliar or different to us, for the sake of self preservation?  Does this mean that we are ALL biologically hardwired to be racist?

Feel free to discuss...

You have so many good points here, btw...  One I would like to touch on is what America’s understanding of racism is and what ACTUAL OPPRESSIVE racism looks like.  When racism is mentioned in the US, the natural thought is white vs.  let’s be truthful.  That’s been the narrative.  But Americans have no idea what true oppression looks like, when you think of the liberties we take for granted in our country, everyday.  There’s no homosexuality in the Middle East, and in much of Asia.  It’s still in many countries, punishable by death.  There’s still slavery practiced in Mexico and Africa (legally in some parts).  America is one of the only countries in the world where people can live how they want, surrounded by wealth, food and water and still complain about it openly, while burning their nation’s flag and being a white, black, Latino  or Asian supremest.  We’re driving hard to a hoop of oppression, through a lane of privilege we are forsaking.  Irony cannot be written any better. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

Premise (2 issues)

(1) I never understood people who claimed that only white people could be racist because only they had power...(2) Because then those same people would turn around and say white people were inherently racist, like it was some gene that only white people were born with...But those are two different notions- If white people are born racist, why would they need power to be racist?

Conclusion to issue #1

Conclusion to issue #2

Feel free to discuss...

interesting thought process. I’ve always viewed racism as a tool used to manifest power over a group of people. I believe it’s bourn consciously or unconsciously from externalities not internally from an individual. With exception; like if you are a woman frequently abused by males perhaps you grow to think all males are abusive as an example. But even here it’s external that resulted in this individual view. 

People who want power point to a group as the enemy or inferior, instantly granting their own followers either righteousness or superiority.

It’s a mechanism to manipulate the tribalism of human nature into power over them. It is unfortunately this same personal belief that makes me unable to accept religion. 

I also reject that it can only be a majority construct. I guess maybe a majority in a vacuum is necessary, like a Closed online chat room hate groups with only their band of haters allowed or something.  

I mean if some group decides they want to kill all people who don’t believe their religion or look like them aren’t they demonstrating race based hatred?  

Also if one of the pillars of racism is that smaller group shouldn’t be able to take from our larger group, it seems odd the majority would fear the minority, who as a whole likely possesses less in aggregate. 

in this case I’d more expect the minority to be ’ists’ against majority because they have more of everything… right? 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, TH3 said:

Nah....There are ALOT of white folk here in the red white and blue who think brown people are inferior.....ALOT 

Yes there are.  There’s an overwhelming amount of skin-color related prejudice that still exists.  The good news is hatred or an outward prejudice towards any shade, color, nationality or variety is in itself racism and if we remember that, we can identify it quickly and denounce it in unison.  It’s when we allow racism to transpire without holding every person to the same standards of right and wrong, where we find ourselves in this present predicament.  Racism is the same awful candy, regardless of the different color wrapping on the outside.  

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, TH3 said:

Nah....There are ALOT of white folk here in the red white and blue who think brown people are inferior.....ALOT 

Yep.

They think brown people don't know how to register to vote or get to a voting booth on election day.   

They refuse to allow any apartments to be built in lilly white San Francisco.  Which was 13% Black in 1970 and is now 6%.  

"Liberals" are the most racist people on earth seeing only the exploitation of race for political gain via identity politics.  

• Awesome! (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, TH3 said:

Ok, that is your opinion, and that is fine, but how do you feel about the OP?

3 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Yep.

They think brown people don't know how to register to vote or get to a voting booth on election day.   

They refuse to allow any apartments to be built in lilly white San Francisco.  Which was 13% Black in 1970 and is now 6%.  

"Liberals" are the most racist people on earth seeing only the exploitation of race for political gain via identity politics.  

That is fine to have that opinion but I want to keep this thread more about discussing the premises of the “racist” claims rather than the politics...

I want this thread to be about seeking truth and not about scoring political points...

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Ok, that is your opinion, and that is fine, but how do you feel about the OP?

That is fine to have that opinion but I want to keep this thread more about discussing the premises of the “racist” claims rather than the politics...

I was this thread to be about seeking truth and not about scoring political points...

Implicit bias is something we should be aware of and do our best to resist before judging.  

It's human nature and has kept man away from "harm" since we stood up on 2 legs.  

The problem is bad people let them manifest to one sweeping negative general view of an entire race, gender, or ethnicity.  We apply positive biases to btw.  But these biases have turned into "everything is racist."  

• Thank you (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

interesting thought process. I’ve always viewed racism as a tool used to manifest power over a group of people. I believe it’s bourn consciously or unconsciously from externalities not internally from an individual. With exception; like if you are a woman frequently abused by males perhaps you grow to think all males are abusive as an example. But even here it’s external that resulted in this individual view. 

People who want power point to a group as the enemy or inferior, instantly granting their own followers either righteousness or superiority.

It’s a mechanism to manipulate the tribalism of human nature into power over them. It is unfortunately this same personal belief that makes me unable to accept religion. 

I also reject that it can only be a majority construct. I guess maybe a majority in a vacuum is necessary, like a Closed online chat room hate groups with only their band of haters allowed or something.  

I mean if some group decides they want to kill all people who don’t believe their religion or look like them aren’t they demonstrating race based hatred?  

Also if one of the pillars of racism is that smaller group shouldn’t be able to take from our larger group, it seems odd the majority would fear the minority, who as a whole likely possesses less in aggregate. 

in this case I’d more expect the minority to be ’ists’ against majority because they have more of everything… right? 

Great post... the bolded really reminded of something I once heard from a public speaker...He claimed there were actually 2 forms of racism, but that one was not as well known as the other...

(1) The first kind is the kind we always hear about...It’s when someone believes their race to be superior to another race...Therefore that person would look down on others because they were considered less than...

(2) The second kind of racism is the kind we don’t often hear about...It’s the kind where someone believes they are inferior to someone else...And as a result they become jealous and resentful, even hateful, towards another ethnic group...(The example the speaker used was the violence that blacks (more than any other ethnic group) perpetrate on the Asian American community.  The speaker claims that this “black on Asian” hate comes from Asians coming here with nothing, and eventually (on average) earning higher, per capita, wages than white Americans- dispelling the whole narrative of white supremacy keeping people down...It also further shines a light on the black community, and begs the question- what’s your excuse now?

(Now, just to keep it real, the black population in America is wealthier than any other black population around the world...In fact, if you combined the total wealth of black Americans, it would constitute the 15th wealthiest nation On Earth.  And that’s after coming through slavery and Jim Crow...so I do feel all the racism talk is a little overblown, to put it mildly.)

58 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Implicit bias is something we should be aware of and do our best to resist before judging.  

It's human nature and has kept man away from "harm" since we stood up on 2 legs.  

The problem is bad people let them manifest to one sweeping negative general view of an entire race, gender, or ethnicity.  We apply positive biases to btw.  But these biases have turned into "everything is racist."  

Completely agree 👍

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Premise (2 issues)

(1) I never understood people who claimed that only white people could be racist because only they had power...(2) Because then those same people would turn around and say white people were inherently racist, like it was some gene that only white people were born with...But those are two different notions- If white people are born racist, why would they need power to be racist? Let’s examine...

Conclusion to issue #1

Conclusion to issue #2

Feel free to discuss...

Anyone can be racist. It’s a really diverse thing.* 

*See what I did there? 

5 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Does this mean that we are ALL biologically hardwired to be racist?

Feel free to discuss...

Seems we are all hard wired to not immediately trust someone who is outside our “group” however you define group. Yet we are also hardwired to cooperate. Both are survival mechanism we inheriated from our ancestors. I guess culture, learning and society take it from there 

I think the outcry of racism is another one of the .001%'s tools to keep the masses divided, which plays into the power brokers grip on society. 

If we were united, us regular folks could get a much bigger piece of pie.

I don't think the average American is nearly as racist as the screens will lead you to believe. 

• Like (+1) 3

Racism is more than one thing. The OP's question pertains to two different forms of racism without distinguishing them.

It seems obvious that a black person can hold racist thoughts about white people and engage in interpersonal racism in their behavior. 

When people have said "only white people can be racist" they are talking about structural racism in America. Structural racism being the establishment of laws and social structures implemented to benefit white people.

Imo, white people can benefit from structural racism without holding any racist views perosonaly. And if they didn't enact the structurally racist systems that benefit them, and if they are unaware of the existance of those structures, it's hard to say there are racist.

But the staying power of structural racism has been made possible through the denial of the existance of racism. Often that denial is pertaining to personally held racist beliefs, not the actual structures of law, economic and social infrastructure. So it is convenient if you've benefited from racist structures if you don't believe they exist. 

Edited by Motorin'
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Motorin' said:

Racism is more than one thing. The OP's question pertains to two different forms of racism without distinguishing them.

It seems obvious that a black person can hold racist thoughts about white people and engage in interpersonal racism in their behavior. 

When people have said "only white people can be racist" they are talking about structural racism in America. Structural racism being the establishment of laws and social structures implemented to benefit white people.

Imo, white people can benefit from structural racism without holding any racist views perosonaly. And if they didn't enact the structurally racist systems that benefit them, and if they are unaware of the existance of those structures, it's hard to say there are racist.

But the staying power of structural racism has been made possible through the denial of the existance of racism. Often that denial is pertaining to personally held racist beliefs, not the actual structures of law, economic and social infrastructure. So it is convenient if you've benefited from racist structures if you don't believe they exist. 

are you saying there are current "establishment of laws and social structures implemented to benefit white people."?

1 hour ago, Beach said:

are you saying there are current "establishment of laws and social structures implemented to benefit white people."?

There are definitely remnants that still function towards that end despite much reform. And in areas that have been reformed, there have been long lags between the the changes on paper and change in practice. And in the areas that have been changed in practice, there are still many debts owed to make up for the blatant discrimination. 

I don't deny that  a ton of progress has been made, and that the structure of our society is much less racist than it once was. 

I'm happy to talk specifics and get into objective measures. Though my experience has show that there is a deep unwillingness to accept the possibility for their still to be racism or any meaningful discrimination to make amends for. 

Edited by Motorin'

22 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Seems like a pretty straightforward question about an assertion…. Take the opportunity to elaborate and educate! I’m interested in learning this too

There's multiple areas of systemic racism still at work, but I'll start with just one to keep matters concise. 

Black owned homes are appraised on average 200k less than comparable white owned homes at the time of sale and for home equity loan purposes, while black owned homes are over assessed for the purpose of property taxation compared to white owned homes.

https://kinder.rice.edu/urbanedge/2020/09/24/housing-racial-disparities-race-still-determines-home-values-America

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-03/appraisers-acknowledge-bias-in-home-valuations

https://www.washingtonpost.com/realestate/for-black-homeowners-a-common-conundrum-with-appraisals/2021/01/20/80fbfb50-543c-11eb-a817-e5e7f8a406d6_story.html

https://www.enterprisecommunity.org/blog/07/20/unpacking-racial-disparities-in-property-taxes

Middle class and working class black Americans were deprived access to federally subsidized home loans throughout much of the 20th century, were specifically targeted during the subprime / variable rate lending boondoggle that nearly collapsed our economy in the mid 2000's, and continue to pay more than their fair share in property taxes while having the value of their homes devalued by the assessment industry when they go to sell or obtain home equity loans.

The result of 20th deprivation and 21st century discrimination in property taxation and home valuation is the leading cause in the vast discrepancy in wealth between black and white families. 

White families have an average of 188k in wealth while black families have an average of 24k in wealth....

Next I'll do disparities in marijuana charges, where black Americans are charged with possession of pot nearly 400% more than white Americans dispite similar usage.

Edited by Motorin'
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Likewise 

thanks for the lack of discussion 

I don't believe your participation is in good faith in this thread. I think  your demands are intended to end the conversation, not open it up. Hence your complete failure to acknowledge detailed post and 5 linked articles backing up my position. 

If you'd like to read and respond to the substance of my post, then I'll be happy to engage. But something tells me your mind is made up and you have little desire to make an effort to see if what I am presenting might have some truth to it.

Edited by Motorin'

13 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I don't believe your participation is in good faith in this thread. I think  your demands are intended to end the conversation, not open it up. Hence your complete failure to acknowledge detailed post and 5 linked articles backing up my position. 

If you'd like to read and respond to the substance of my post, then I'll be happy to engage. But something tells me your mind is made up and you have little desire to make an effort to see if what I am presenting might have some truth to it.

I read it 

But while detailed, I didn’t see your examples as laws. They’re more just business practices. And as far as federal programs goes there are many that favor people of color... so there’s that.

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I read it 

But while detailed, I didn’t see your examples as laws. They’re more just business practices. And as far as federal programs goes there are many that favor people of color... so there’s that.

That's my point, despite laws being put on the books that make those practices illegal, they are still wide spread and are the cause of hundreds of billions of dollars of wealth disparity. Today, in 2021.

What federal programs are you referring to?

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

That's my point, despite laws being put on the books that make those practices illegal, they are still wide spread and are the cause of hundreds of billions of dollars of wealth disparity. Today, in 2021.

What federal programs are you referring to?

The entire welfare state and numerous government contracting programs established to give advantage to MBEs (minority business enterprises)

Edited by SoCal Deek

33 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The entire welfare state

The welfare state has given way more money to white people than black people throughout it's existence. To this day there's more White people on welfare and receiving food stamps... There's no race test to get welfare, it's based on economic need. 

At the same time black people were excluded from the most important policy instituted by the welfare state, federally subsidized home ownership.

My grandparents bought a house that was federally backed in the late 50's for 10k. We sold it when my grandma passed away 10 years ago for over 200k. 

Generations of black families were deprived of the ability to build equity through federally subsidized home ownership while white families that accessed federally back mortgages passed down over 1 trillion in equity after Brown vs Board of Education. 

Edited by Motorin'
  • Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, TH3 said:

You are correct and those folks are ignorant and should be the fuel to prove every one of them wrong and pass that motivation to the younger generation but in a positive form .

My path in life has been formed by my decisions good & bad some very stupid and the school of hard knox along with some common sense has showed me to be successful in the sense that i have learned from those mistakes and passed that knowledge on to my kids .

The first i had ever heard the N word was when listening to Richard Prior and i grew up with a man that worked for my grand dad that was from Ala. & was black and he was part of our family and i loved him and have the best of memories of him growing up but saw first hand his so called friends take total advantage of him and they were his own race which hurt my soul and taught me a great lesson .

There are those out there and it doesn't matter their race they just want to take advantage of any easy direction in life and it is easier to place the blame on some one else rather than man up and do what's right and take advantage of opportunities given to all if you have the motivation & are willing to work for what you want .

I have never been given anything and have had to bust my A** for every thing i own and have given that same work ethic to my kids and grand kids and have told them to respect all others .

With that being said i have received racism and it's not a good feeling and would never allow anyone i am parenting to be that way in hopes of changing the future if only in a small way and it starts with church (which has been removed from so much today) in them knowing that we are all created in gods image and he sees all colors in love and that he loves us all equally with all of our faults !! 🙌

If that kind of love is taught to all the young people i believe the world would be a lot better place and there would be a lot less racism 🙏

• Like (+1) 3

Personally it's who we are as a species.  We're tribal.  We root for people that look and think like us and sometimes vilify those that don't.  Look at religion.  The number of wars and the number of people killed in our history in the name of organized thought that often preaches love is a mind boggling.  

8 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Black owned homes are appraised on average 200k less than comparable white owned homes at the time of sale and for home equity loan purposes, while black owned homes are over assessed for the purpose of property taxation compared to white owned homes.

Is this disparity for the same home, same level of up keep in the same neighborhood with same same schools and same access to amenities and same level of crime?  

So in other words there are two nearly identical home across my street, on poc owned, one white owned.

You are saying if both put their house on the market, simultaneously the market would assign a lower value to the poc home? 

9 hours ago, Motorin' said:

That's a lot of explanation in those articles to come up with racism where non exist.

1) They compare prices between neighborhoods, not houses next to each other, to find "racism"
in those articles. Poor neighborhoods have cheaper houses... not racist.

2)A lot of twisting when they should just say that white people apply for more tax discounts (available to everyone), more than black people. Also not racist. Similar to the voter ID argument.

17 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Is this disparity for the same home, same level of up keep in the same neighborhood with same same schools and same access to amenities and same level of crime?  NOPE, different neighborhoods. It's the wage gap lie all over again.

So in other words there are two nearly identical home across my street, on poc owned, one white owned.

You are saying if both put their house on the market, simultaneously the market would assign a lower value to the poc home? 

54 minutes ago, Wacka said:

If MLK started today, he would be called an Uncle Tom.

Well, he was Republican.

Edited by unbillievable
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Motorin' said:

The welfare state has given way more money to white people than black people throughout it's existence. To this day there's more White people on welfare and receiving food stamps... There's no race test to get welfare, it's based on economic need.

Not when you base it on %percentage rather than totals.

...and there are race based tests for welfare. POCs have a LOT more programs available to them than whites. Especially now.

Edited by unbillievable
  • Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Proportionality is funny, it seems to be used only conveniently. 

thus are you suggesting the proportion of money distributed by race favors a certain demographic? 

the data in this link disputes that and says poc household many times more like to receive benefits.  

https://www.nap.edu/read/9719/chapter/8

It's a lot easier to debunk "systematic racism" than it is to find it. The only argument towards it existing is the disparity in outcomes; Calling it "racist" is lazy thinking.

It makes a lot more sense to blame cultural differences, than pin the disparity on active racial targeting; especially when the bias disappears when immigrants are included in the statistics.

Edited by unbillievable
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

It's a lot easier to debunk "systematic racism" than it is to find it. The only argument towards it existing is the disparity in outcomes; Calling it "racist" is lazy thinking.

It makes a lot more sense to blame cultural differences, than pin the disparity on active racial targeting; especially when the bias disappears when immigrants are included in the statistics.

And worse, it’s probably not going to actually help fix some of the very real disparities. 

It’s like claiming every time a poc is pulled over it’s racist. How often can an officer even see the driver when the decide?

I saw something the other day that said poc get in a higher rate of traffic accidents thus infrastructure is racist. 

it sort of reminds me of ancient tribes that were so ignorant of the world, every time something bad happened they defaulted to gods are angry. 

• Like (+1) 2