Jests signed DT Sheldon Rankins

A little bummed about this since Rankins, when healthy, is really really good. I was hoping he would fall to the Bills in the 2016 draft - but NO picked him and we ended up with Shaq Lawson. That line with Q. Williams, Franklin - Meyers, Carl Lawson and now Rankins looks quite good on paper.

Key question is, of course, how healthy is Rankins?

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 3

I liked him coming out too but he has had exactly 1 good season as a pro and lost his starting job a couple of years back. I wouldn't say total bust but he was a pretty big disappointment in New Orleans. Maybe a change of scenery unlocks his potential but I suspect this is more like the Bills signing Vernon Butler as backup / rotation for Ed Oliver rather than any expectation Rankins ends up starting.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

A little bummed about this since Rankins, when healthy, is really really good. I was hoping he would fall to the Bills in the 2016 draft - but NO picked him and we ended up with Shaq Lawson. That line with Q. Williams, Franklin - Meyers, Carl Lawson and now Rankins looks quite good on paper.

Good news - the games are not played on paper.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think many are gonna have to accept the fact that Beane is not going to make the splash on a "prime" player who can contribute immediately this season with the current cap budget. Not that Rankins is that type of player but he is pretty good.  Hope the draft bears some quality fruit.

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Eyeroll 1

32 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

Good news - the games are not played on paper.

And games are not won in March either.

Frankly the Bills are exactly where we dreamed they would be one day - using FA to fine tune a very good football team.  This includes NOT making big splashes in FA that only served as opium for the masses of Bills fans hoping for a turnaround.  I think that's what some fans miss.  They're literally in withdrawal.

• Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

There's a reason that you'll go home unhappy from the track if you take a bunch of longshot bets hoping to hit the lottery. This seems to be JD's strategy. Unfortunately, he confused making long shot bets with the steady and consistent talent evaluation that the Ravens had when he was there. 

3 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

I think many are gonna have to accept the fact that Beane is not going to make the splash on a "prime" player who can contribute immediately this season with the current cap budget. Not that Rankins is that type of player but he is pretty good.  Hope the draft bears some quality fruit.

Sir this has been explained

- Does signing our own free agents count in this equation?   We got the top cover linebacker and the top RT in free agency....they just happened to be our own free agents. It is not Beanes fault that he has already accumulated a very talented football team prior to this offseason.

- The punter was probably a wash

- Signing Sanders was signing a number 2 receiver....is this not considered splash?

- Mitch T was a pretty solid signing considering that he has been a playoff starter and who we actually had at that spot

7 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Nice player when heathy not really worried about the Jets they have holes in their secondary the size of Texas and really no qb 

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Sir this has been explained

- Does signing our own free agents count in this equation?   We got the top cover linebacker and the top RT in free agency....they just happened to be our own free agents. It is not Beanes fault that he has already accumulated a very talented football team prior to this offseason.

- The punter was probably a wash

- Signing Sanders was signing a number 2 receiver....is this not considered splash?

- Mitch T was a pretty solid signing considering that he has been a playoff starter and who we actually had at that spot

No, cuz they’re not shiny and new.