Is this Darryl Talley?

george c

Some folk are just really  stupid when it comes to doing life’s normal stuff, in this case he self creates a situation that shows him as a willfully ignorant/stupid person, that has evidently no respect/concern for others, this behavior, after his teams fans financially coming to his aid to help him not that many years ago..., mental health issues or not it’s not excusable. 

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

22 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I swear I saw him on the Atlanta Zoo a few days ago.  I didn’t want to bother him.

i was in an elevator with steve tasker before the pandemic.  one up that.

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

The hits took a toll on Darryl, Tim Graham had a whole series of articles on Darryl with his wife Janine, sadly it seems there is some level of CTE likely with him...

Yes, they were good articles, and his situation is really sad.

A good guy fighting through serious serious issues.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Some folk are just really  stupid when it comes to doing life’s normal stuff, in this case he self creates a situation that shows him as a willfully ignorant/stupid person, that has evidently no respect/concern for others, this behavior, after his teams fans financially coming to his aid to help him not that many years ago..., I hope they legally kick his azs up and down the street over this, but hey, that’s just me...

First of all we don't know it's Talley

Talley's wife Janine has also posted about mental changes including irrational, aggressive behavior that is linked to his (believed) CTE dementia, especially if for one or another reason he's "off his meds"

The fans came to his aid because the man was mentally hampered and had made bad decisions

Being mentally hampered doesn't only show up in sweet, nicely packaged for feel-good consumption ways. 

Sorry it doesn't give you the feels.

It's going to be rough on his family. 

Edit: I don't mean just this video, but that in general, we don't have good ways to deal with mental problems any more than with addiction.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, nucci said:

My wife is a Flight Attendant. She has dealt with much worse than this. Talley didn't seem crazy or sick. 

We have no idea what happened before the video started. They were already in the process of kicking him off the plane. But I agree, he didn’t seem crazy or sick. Just wouldn’t put a mask on is what I’m getting out of it

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

When you fly you should wear a mask, their business their rules, not saying I like it but if you don't like it don't use their business. 

I must say though it is extremely frustrating to follow the rules and have people on a plane with a mask around their chin eating/drinking and basically ignoring the rules with not a word said. 

Is it really like that? Still?

Thanks for letting me know. I'll avoid flying for a few more months till I get my vaccine.

39 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Turk, I’m trying to avoid a Covid thing as the mods were great about reigning it in for the group.  I hate seeing a guy I loved growing up, a real hero back then on the field even with that horrible mullet to do dumb things like this one.  Even if only recorded half the conversation, it’s common sense people just grab their phones in a heartbeat.

My god, it’s been a theme on every police show for years.  If any of you like Blue Bloods, they’ve been touting the phone thing forever.  When you do something that can be perceived as dumb or mean, you should expect it will be on some social media if you were a media type (celebrity, politician, cop, past athlete, and so on).

You can only get the first two seasons here in Japan, but the wife and I loved Blue Bloods.

Got a lot of respect and envy for Tom Brady from watching that show. His ex is gorgeous.

1 hour ago, benderbender said:

Is this the first time he’s flown in a while? I flew in March last year when the mask policy was in place. 

And what’s worse about throwing a fit about it is that you can take your mask off to eat and drink. A surprising number of people “forget” to put it back on and simply pull it back up when the flight attendant reminds you. 

Definitely a bad look.

agree, it’s really not that hard to go through the motions of “COVID theater”.   Obviously the  flight attendants did what they had to do

21 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Is it really like that? Still?

Thanks for letting me know. I'll avoid flying for a few more months till I get my vaccine.

Yep, and will be for the foreseeable future.

1 hour ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Please remember that Darryl is still dealing with mental health issues as a result of his many concussions during his playing career. 

Wait. So he doesn’t want to wear a mask on plane, and this is because of his mental health issues? Are you inferring that this incident is a result of mental illness? Because there are literally millions of people that don’t want to wear masks, and it has nothing to do with mental illness. 

It should also be noted that, Talley does not appear to be having a mental episode. In fact, he seems quite lucid. Is he frustrated and angry, yes, but the expression of frustration with clear terms, does not imply a state of mental crisis. 

Please try and refrain from unhelpful and narrative driving assumptions about another human beings mental state. It doesn’t help anyone. 

• Vomit 1

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

First of all we don't know it's Talley

Talley's wife Janine has also posted about mental changes including irrational, aggressive behavior that is linked to his (believed) CTE dementia, especially if for one or another reason he's "off his meds"

The fans came to his aid because the man was mentally hampered and had made bad decisions

Being mentally hampered doesn't only show up in sweet, nicely packaged for feel-good consumption ways. 

Sorry it doesn't give you the feels.

It's going to be rough on his family. 

Edit: I don't mean just this video, but that in general, we don't have good ways to deal with mental problems any more than with addiction.

I will admit that I am making some assumptions here, but where do we as a society draw the line on obvious bad social behavior? Is he so cognitively incompetent that he can’t he can’t be trusted to be out in public unsupervised? Likely not, so.... 

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I was in an elevator with Gena Davis.  You know, Kit's older sister who could hit a homer straight away center in a big boys park?

and do a split catching a foul ball

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Wait. So he doesn’t want to wear a mask on plane, and this is because of his mental health issues? Are you inferring that this incident is a result of mental illness? Because there are literally millions of people that don’t want to wear masks, and it has nothing to do with mental illness. 

If you're observed acting outside the social norm/rules and you have a history of doing stuff like that due to mental illness, the probability is that your behavior is linked to your illness and not by your personal dedication to socially disruptive law-breaking forms of social protest.

The rule for getting on a plane is "you must wear a mask" and it's a condition of carriage to follow the rules.  Therefore, if you buy a ticket and get on the plane, you expect to be told to wear a mask.

I think Chevy's point is that in Talley's case, there are documented instances where Talley was not willing/able to follow social rules or resolve life problems in the usual minimally-disruptive way, and that his family considers these behaviors symptomatic of CTE-related issues they've worked to obtain treatment for. 

The treatment will inevitably involve some things they can't control, such as willingness to take meds all the time.

This is not new, it's been discussed on this newsgroup for years since Tim Graham wrote an article that broke the story, and Janine (Talley's wife) has vented by writing articles describing some of the stuff that happened when they were seeking diagnosis or disability certification.

3 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Please try and refrain from unhelpful and narrative driving assumptions about another human beings mental state. It doesn’t help anyone. 

See above

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I will admit that I am making some assumptions here, but where do we as a society draw the line on obvious bad social behavior? Is he so cognitively incompetent that he can’t he can’t be trusted to be out in public unsupervised? Likely not, so.... 

I'm not gonna harp on this but Janine wrote a piece a while back describing some behavior in a restaurant when he was off medication for the purpose of diagnosis, and from what was described, it sounded as though it was edging pretty close to that latter.  That he didn't tweet anymore because he struggled to put words together, struggled to understand why he could or couldn't do certain things, just a bunch of routine daily stuff that were becoming too hard for him.  His younger daughter also wrote about it a couple times - that her dad could still fix anything, fix her car, but he kept going inside and up 3 flights to her apartment for tools because he didn't think of the obvious solution of carrying the small toolbox down to the car.  You can look it up if you want. 

The point isn't that bad social behavior should be tolerated, it's that someone who has mental problems that lead (as one symptom) to inability to understand/accept social rules therefore acting out in public isn't able to stop doing that out of some gratitude for prior financial assistance.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If you're observed acting outside the social norm/rules and you have a history of doing stuff like that due to mental illness, the probability is that your behavior is linked to your illness and not by your personal dedication to socially disruptive law-breaking forms of social protest.

The rule for getting on a plane is "you must wear a mask" and it's a condition of carriage to follow the rules.  Therefore, if you buy a ticket and get on the plane, you expect to be told to wear a mask.

I think Chevy's point is that in Talley's case, there are documented instances where Talley was not willing/able to follow social rules or resolve life problems in the usual minimally-disruptive way, and that his family considers these behaviors symptomatic of CTE-related issues they've worked to obtain treatment for. 

The treatment will inevitably involve some things they can't control, such as willingness to take meds all the time.

This is not new, it's been discussed on this newsgroup for years since Tim Graham wrote an article that broke the story, and Janine (Talley's wife) has vented by writing articles describing some of the stuff that happened when they were seeking diagnosis or disability certification.

See above

Ok.

I still think that it’s dangerous to assume that someone who you do not know personally, is having a mental episode. 

You are right that he should have to wear a mask, especially when it’s given to you in notice and signage. But being frustrated with a dozen people yelling at you, does not constitute a mental episode.

Considering the countless videos we have seen over the past year of people actually having episodes, this does not fit the same mold. 

Im not doubting that he has suffered brain trauma. I’m not doubting his words, or his wife’s words. What I am doubting, is the assertion by a poster on this message board, that Darryl Talley is having a mental episode, because he doesn’t want to wear a mask. 

At this point, I’m sorry i even responded.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not gonna harp on this but Janine wrote a piece a while back describing some behavior in a restaurant when he was off medication for the purpose of diagnosis, and from what was described, it sounded as though it was edging pretty close to that latter.  That he didn't tweet anymore because he struggled to put words together, struggled to understand why he could or couldn't do certain things, just a bunch of routine daily stuff that were becoming too hard for him.  His younger daughter also wrote about it a couple times - that her dad could still fix anything, fix her car, but he kept going inside and up 3 flights to her apartment for tools because he didn't think of the obvious solution of carrying the small toolbox down to the car.  You can look it up if you want. 

The point isn't that bad social behavior should be tolerated, it's that someone who has mental problems that lead (as one symptom) to inability to understand/accept social rules therefore acting out in public isn't able to stop doing that out of some gratitude for prior financial assistance.

Then he needs to be supervised when out in public so that he does not harm himself or others. 

Perhaps he had a vaccine and incorrectly thought he no longer needed a mask.  Even with the cdc guidance he’d need it on a plane per airline rules, etc.  That said, it wasn’t a total meltdown, he just argued and left.  

Also, not sure how he got past security without a mask?  

27 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Then he needs to be supervised when out in public so that he does not harm himself or others. 

not all people with mental illness are a threat to themselves or others.  

Edited by RyanC883

34 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

I still think that it’s dangerous to assume that someone who you do not know personally, is having a mental episode. 

We can agree on this, absolutely.  

There are well-documented instances of people behaving like jerks on airplanes who are either motivated by an excess of "liquid courage" or some combination of personal belief/desire for notoriety, so in the general instance, it would indeed be a poor assumption.

There's just a prior history here which leads to the inference, and it is still an inference.

34 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Im not doubting that he has suffered brain trauma. I’m not doubting his words, or his wife’s words. What I am doubting, is the assertion by a poster on this message board, that Darryl Talley is having a mental episode, because he doesn’t want to wear a mask. 

At this point, I’m sorry i even responded.

You have a valid point, and you made it in a civil manner and reiterated in a way to find points of agreement, that's what it's all about.

• Like (+1) 2