How the Chiefs use Travis Kelce to make him unstoppable

Old Coot

20 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I am wondering what is holding Knox back from being more in Kelce's mode? Clearly he has the athleticism to be a matchup nightmare...what is it he is missing?

More than anything I think Knox needs time in seat, as we say.  He was barely targeted in college, and has only had 1 training camp in the pros.  I hope he's working on his hands this offseason, whatever the TE equivalent of Jordan Palmer is

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Thanks for posting.  I'll have to check this out later, but I imagine a significant part is him actually catching the ball.

Sounds like a rabble rousing attempt from that comment.

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I am wondering what is holding Knox back from being more in Kelce's mode? Clearly he has the athleticism to be a matchup nightmare...what is it he is missing?

The ball, usually. See above.

Edited by timekills17
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, timekills17 said:

Sounds like a rabble rousing attempt from that comment.

The ball, usually. See above.

I'm pointing out that we have a tight end who has about a 50% catch rate.   That's not rabble rousing.  It's stating fact.  First and foremost, Kelce is awesome because he catches catchable passes.

• Like (+1) 1

We use the slot WR for a lot of the same route concepts.  I think Knox needs to be more effective as a blocker to see the field more.  

First, I doubt Knox will ever be Kelce.   Kelce is a special combination of size, speed, hands, and intelligence.   Knox doesn't catch the ball as well as Kelce, and he hasn't shown the intelligence yet, although I think that may still be coming.   He also doesn't have Kelce's size, but he may still grow some.  

But beyond Kelce's skills is the Chiefs' scheme.  The Chiefs threaten defenses with so much good, deep speed that defenses are forced to have their linebackers cover a lot of space underneath.   When you have a really good, smart TE and a smart QB, there's a lot of territory to attack, and that's what the Chiefs do.   The Bills don't threaten teams with the same level of great wideout talent (would have been interesting to see a healthy Brown in 2020), so Knox didn't have the wide open spaces that Kelce sees week after week. 

How do you stop the Chiefs' attack?  Tampa Bay did it with merciless pass rush.  They put Mahomes under a lot of pressure, play after play, rushing four, and that made life miserable for him.  Linebackers could play Kelce tight, and Mahomes often didn't have time for Kelce to outrun the linebackers to open spaces.  Kelce still caught his 10 passes, but Kelce was the only option who was getting open before the rush drove Mahomes from the pocket.  

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Focus. Football smarts.

Knox seems like a complete meat head to me who completely lacks the instincts to be anything short of an ok option as a #2 TE in the league. 

As I said, I think it's scheme and complementary weapons, but you may be correct about Knox.  He seems a bit like a loose cannon.  But the Bills don't usually draft meatheads; they draft smart guys with worth ethic, so Knox may have the ability to grow into more than we've seen out of him so far.  2021 is the year we'll see whether he has real potential beyond what you say. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Focus. Football smarts.

Knox seems like a complete meat head to me who completely lacks the instincts to be anything short of an ok option as a #2 TE in the league. 

Gronk?

Kelce fits that mold to btw.  

25 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

and you yourself have said this means very little in the grand scheme of things lol

I think the Wonderlic is important.   I think pro football is about scheme and coaching, and the smart guys who can thing fast are important for coaches to have on the field.  Josh had a high Wonderlic - I think it's particularly important for QBs.   The announcers say that one thing that makes Kelce so valuable is that he's a former QB and thinks like one.  

So, I think brains are important part of Knox's game, if he's going to be a success.