Bills re-sign Feliciano

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

What we need at running back is speed more than a bruiser. We need a guy who accelerates and hits the hole fast.

This. Everyone talking about adding a bruising back and I’m baffled. We need a home run hitting rb.  We have nickel an dimers in Moss and motor

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

Just now, OldTimer1960 said:

I guess, but if Singletary played well as a rookie and not last year, what was the reason?  

He played well his first 4 games. His yard per attempt since game 5 of his career is 4.2. I think the league worked him out. Don't overpursue because he can make a guy miss but his acceleration is pedestrian. So if everyone stays in their gap and he makes the first guy miss should be able to rally tackle and get him with the second guy.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

What we need at running back is speed more than a bruiser. We need a guy who accelerates and hits the hole fast.

I disagree my friend. Speed is for an offensive line that is great at either making holes or edge containment on runs. We are not great at any of that. A bruiser is going to gulp up 2,3,4 yards a run no matter what and give us easier 3rd downs But that's my thought you may be right!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Turbo44 said:

With the cap likely jumping significantly next year with the new TV deals + fans back, Beane has a lot of restructure opportunities to free up more cap space. My dream remaining off-season and it is possible:

Re-sign McKenzie and a bojorquez

UFA signings on Covid deals

CB: Richard Sherman

TE: Hunter Henry

DE: Yannick Ngakoue

pick 30: Ettiene falls to us

pick 62: if anything close to the above happens I don’t care 

Wow

Just now, PrimeTime101 said:

I disagree my friend. Speed is for an offensive line that is great at either making holes or edge containment on runs. We are not great at any of that. A bruiser is going to gulp up 2,3,4 yards a run no matter what and give us easier 3rd downs But that's my thought you may be right!

I think a line that doesn't hold its blocks long enough (which is what we have) needs a back who can hit them and accelerate through them before they close. Moss is a bruiser. In fact he is a good back after contact. He was one of the best in college and made some hard yards after contact last year. He still only averaged 4.3 ypa. They need speed.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

With the cap likely jumping significantly next year with the new TV deals + fans back, Beane has a lot of restructure opportunities to free up more cap space. My dream remaining off-season and it is possible:

Are you expecting the salary cap to increase another $20 million or so?

3 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Were you the kid on xmas who asked for a Sega and a SuperNES? 😆😆😆

Another point about this signing that I haven't seen brought up - it used to be an accepted fact that o-lines needed time to gel together. These days o-lines seemingly change every year. But an underrated part of this re-signing is 4 of our starters from last year will be playing together in the same positions again. That chemistry matters. The only wildcard is whether Boettger or Ford end up in the 5th spot.

People forget that adding players isn't the only way to improve the team. Players naturally getting better and having another year in the same scheme with the same teammates can make a huge difference.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Turbo44 said:

yep Ettiene

I hope not, but possibly.  I 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I think a line that doesn't hold its blocks long enough (which is what we have) needs a back who can hit them and accelerate through them before they close. Moss is a bruiser. In fact he is a good back after contact. He was one of the best in college and made some hard yards after contact last year. He still only averaged 4.3 ypa. They need speed.

Exactly.  We HAVE a bruising back in Moss.  If Moss isn’t a bruising back, than we should cut him, because that’s why he was drafted.  He needs a some lightning to his thunder

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Another point about this signing that I haven't seen brought up - it used to be an accepted fact that o-lines needed time to gel together. These days o-lines seemingly change every year. But an underrated part of this re-signing is 4 of our starters from last year will be playing together in the same positions again. The only wildcard is whether Boettger or Ford end up in the 5th spot. That chemistry matters. People forget that adding players isn't the only way to improve the team. Players naturally getting better and having another year in the same scheme with the same teammates can make a huge difference.

I still wouldn’t rule out OL if it is BPA...Ford is no guarantee 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Thanks Gunner for taking the time to explain it. This makes Sense now. Some times you have to go back read a second time, I am glad people like you understand me and take the time to explain it. Etienne seems to fit that picture huh? lol 

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Who said the OL was the only problem? 

yeah....I enjoyed those games.  Winning regular season games don’t matter too much to me with this team.  I want to win the super bowl.  I don’t think we’ll win the super bowl with a similar run game as last season.  I said it all year....we’ll lose in the playoffs unless we can get out run game going.  We didn’t.  The team that beat us didn’t think twice about us running the ball....and that’s why we lost imo

This was a breakthrough year for us. We beat 2 teams in the playoffs, with no dependable backs and a defense that played bend don't break. If I told you we'd be 13 and 3 and lose to Mahomes in the AFC championship game  ,at the beginning of the season, you would have been  giddy. A couple of positions must be addressed. I think we'll be right there for the foreseeable future. 

Just now, JaCrispy said:

I still wouldn’t rule out OL if it is BPA...Ford is no guarantee 

the way the draft board looks now... OT, EDGE, OG would not shock me  in this draft. 5th round there are lots of one tech DT that fit the bill that you could take a stab at... Most of the early DT in this draft are burners.

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Who said the OL was the only problem? 

yeah....I enjoyed those games.  Winning regular season games don’t matter too much to me with this team.  I want to win the super bowl.  I don’t think we’ll win the super bowl with a similar run game as last season.  I said it all year....we’ll lose in the playoffs unless we can get out run game going.  We didn’t.  The team that beat us didn’t think twice about us running the ball....and that’s why we lost imo

I agree that achieving a more effective running game is imperative. 

Luckily, McDermott and Beane seem to agree. 

What’s interesting is that they r already said they don’t blame Moss and Singletary for the struggles, and their re-signing the whole o-line indicates that they don’t necessarily think that they caused the problem, either.

So...how do they plan to improve the running game? Changing up the run scheme? Adding a more complete tight end and a WR2 that can block well? Perhaps they think Ford’s return will be a big boost? I admit to being perplexed as to how they plan to address the running game at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Another point about this signing that I haven't seen brought up - it used to be an accepted fact that o-lines needed time to gel together. These days o-lines seemingly change every year. But an underrated part of this re-signing is 4 of our starters from last year will be playing together in the same positions again. The only wildcard is whether Boettger or Ford end up in the 5th spot. That chemistry matters. People forget that adding players isn't the only way to improve the team. Players naturally getting better and having another year in the same scheme with the same teammates can make a huge difference.

I’ll give you that - this line was jumbled all year due to injuries.  Feliciano missed first 7 or 8 games, Mitch Morse was injured, Ford played hurt then finally went out...