Stimulus Checks.

Irv

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

We need to stop incentivizing people to have children they probably cannot afford.

Which would lead to an increase in abortions so pick your poison conservatives.

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Not necessarily, it could lead to other things........more adoptions, improved family planning, improved responsibility. 

This "pay for them" or they will be killed is pretty awful.

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

How about they do neither?  Abortion is far from the only way to prevent a child you can't afford.  The affordable care act made contraception free.  If uninsured,,  one can acquire it free at planned Parenthood.  Or walk into the convenience store/gas station on every corner and buy some rubbers, trust me, they work.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

How about they do neither?  Abortion is far from the only way to prevent a child you can't afford.  The affordable care act made contraception free.  If uninsured,,  one can acquire it free at planned Parenthood.  Or walk into the convenience store/gas station on every corner and buy some rubbers, trust me, they work.

Yet it's been a goal of Republicans to defund planned parenthood despite most of their money being spent on education, contraceptives, and woman's health.  Especially in poor communities.

14 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Yet it's been a goal of Republicans to defund planned parenthood despite most of their money being spent on education, contraceptives, and woman's health.  Especially in poor communities.

You don't need Planned Parenthood for that.

Walk into ANY free Clinic, walk into the Health dpt. at any county building........There are baskets of free condoms.

There  are educational and health instructions and classes.

We don't need a private organization 

especially one that makes money off of killing babies and selling their parts.

The irony of both sides of this argument is fascinating.

So republicans defund planned parenthood resulting in more un supported children being born that need to go on Democratic welfare programs. 

it’s kind of crazy right? 

Freakonomics does a great job of analysis on this topic if one can set religion aside momentarily 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Agree 2

It's only a stimulus check if you didn't pay any taxes in CY2019.  Otherwise, it's the government benevolently giving you a sliver of your own money back to you.

While I like this setup like the next person, I'm also worried about late 70s-era inflation which will make a lot of people lose their minds when they try to get mortgages with those "low" 20% interest rates.    

38 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

If you would like to fund Planned Parenthood please do so. You can send them a check every month. I’m sure they’ll cash it. 

8 minutes ago, dpberr said:

It's only a stimulus check if you didn't pay any taxes in CY2019.  Otherwise, it's the government benevolently giving you a sliver of your own money back to you.

While I like this setup like the next person, I'm also worried about late 70s-era inflation which will make a lot of people lose their minds when they try to get mortgages with those "low" 20% interest rates.    

Or if you paid taxes and didn’t meet eligibility criteria it’s the government benevolently giving your money to someone else. Which I’m sure even then would be fine if those people actually needed it. 

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Why are you making this about Republicans?  They'll never be able to "defund" Planned Parenthood.  And even if they did, PP only gets 33%of its money from the feds.  they'd make that up with contributions or whatever.

Bottom line, they, ACA, and cheap rubbers at 7-11 (free in some places) should be able to cut way down on unwanted pregnancies.  I don't understand why we have so many these days with all the free/cheap contraceptives available.

4 hours ago, B-Man said:

You don't need Planned Parenthood for that.

Walk into ANY free Clinic, walk into the Health dpt. at any county building........There are baskets of free condoms.

There  are educational and health instructions and classes.

We don't need a private organization 

especially one that makes money off of killing babies and selling their parts.

None of those clinics have the infrastructure that planned parenthood has in the inner cities.  Abortion rates are at pre Roe v Wade level so they're doing something right.

4 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

If you would like to fund Planned Parenthood please do so. You can send them a check every month. I’m sure they’ll cash it. 

I'm glad my paycheck goes there because it equates to less future money needed for welfare programs.

53 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Why are you making this about Republicans?  They'll never be able to "defund" Planned Parenthood.  And even if they did, PP only gets 33%of its money from the feds.  they'd make that up with contributions or whatever.

Bottom line, they, ACA, and cheap rubbers at 7-11 (free in some places) should be able to cut way down on unwanted pregnancies.  I don't understand why we have so many these days with all the free/cheap contraceptives available.

You said, "We need to stop incentivizing people to have children they probably cannot afford."  I assumed you were talking about the generous child tax credits on this all Democratic bill so that's why I brought up Republicans.  There's just some irony in that the GOP is trying to force mother's who don't want to have children to have a child if pregnant.  Meanwhile they complain about social welfare programs.  Also, the birth rate declined by 4.4% from December of 2019 to December of 2020 because of the economic impact of Covid.  This idea that people are having babies purposely to qualify for financial assistance is absurd when the exact opposite is occuring.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

None of those clinics have the infrastructure that planned parenthood has in the inner cities.  Abortion rates are at pre Roe v Wade level so they're doing something right.

I'm glad my paycheck goes there because it equates to less future money needed for welfare programs.

You said, "We need to stop incentivizing people to have children they probably cannot afford."  I assumed you were talking about the generous child tax credits on this all Democratic bill so that's why I brought up Republicans.  There's just some irony in that the GOP is trying to force mother's who don't want to have children to have a child if pregnant.  Meanwhile they complain about social welfare programs.  Also, the birth rate declined by 4.4% from December of 2019 to December of 2020 because of the economic impact of Covid.  This idea that people are having babies purposely to qualify for financial assistance is absurd when the exact opposite is occuring.

Cool.  As to the bolded you are right because presently people aren't financially incented to have more kids.  Will be interesting to see what happens to the birth rate when people get an extra $300 per month for having another child.  Maybe I should have explained it better, but that's what I was referring to.

23 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

on this topic it’s a fact schools are paying bonuses to teachers from covid funds. There are line items for teachers unions. A TON of money hundreds of billions.

You can go on rationalizing government helicopter money, but the magnitude on top of already 5 or 6 trillion federal budget is absurd.

conversation is about 1.9 trillion dollars. 

id rather they have sent more money to those who need it, they gave extra thousands of dollars to people that don’t. Half the households that got checks or more were not impacted, and in fact because of less vacation an dining out have never had more cash on hand. 

this was wealth redistribution

but don’t take it from me. 

https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/03/how-to-waste-more-than-a-trillion-dollars/

Way to completely avoid what I posted... didn't realize we were playing dodgeball.

And no, I won't take it from you and I won't take it from that link to that trashy conservative website you just posted.

3 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Cool.  As to the bolded you are right because presently people aren't financially incented to have more kids.  Will be interesting to see what happens to the birth rate when people get an extra $300 per month for having another child.  Maybe I should have explained it better, but that's what I was referring to.

You'd pry need more than that as the median yearly cost for raising a child in the US is about $6,000 and the average is about $13,000. 

They've tried providing financial incentives in other countries for people to have children and it's been a mixed bag.  Enhanced government benefits for having children have been successful  in Nordic countries.  France provides the most incentives in most European countries and has among the highest birth rates in Europe.  Reforms in countries like Italy and Germany weren't as effective.  

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Way to completely avoid what I posted... didn't realize we were playing dodgeball.

And no, I won't take it from you and I won't take it from that link to that trashy conservative website you just posted.

avoid what? You rationalized a bunch of money getting arbitrarily heaped on some cherry picked and already funded existing wasteful chronically failing government programs. 

we all know who you’re ‘taking it from’ 🐑

Enjoy your covid bonus on top of your thousands in stimulus money and the 5000x return your union got on the election campaign finance kickback (260 billion dollars - grotesquely corrupt and right in broad daylight.) 

Couldn’t have made it through without defrauding taxpayers for all that ‘emergency’ money you and your reps are stealing, right? 

11 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Wonderful! So that means if you didn’t have part of your paycheck automatically taken you’d donate to this cause on your own. Please do so. It’s not the role of the government to fund such enterprises. Think about it. You’re argument is that you want to fund one government program because it saves money from going to...you guessed it...another government program. Can’t you see how horribly circular this all becomes? All with good intentions, of course. 

52 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I got my money last night. I'm going to pay for my sailboat slip and buy me a new chainsaw. Woo hoo! Biden is the best president ever! 

What a fraud.  

Stealing your children’s money to cut down trees and pollute the air and water. 

typical ‘democrat’ living up to their soapbox values. 

17 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

What a fraud.  

Stealing your children’s money to cut down trees and pollute the air and water. 

typical ‘democrat’ living up to their soapbox values. 

So, just being a Democrat and living is a crime. Oh Boy! 

49 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Nice smoke screen attempt... your are fortunate being unethical, dishonest and hypocritical are not crimes. Your in great luck. Being a deadbeat is government approved! 

Learn your/you're/you are and your petty insults might carry a bit more weight.

Edited by 716er
  • Haha (+1) 3

50 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Nice smoke screen attempt... your are fortunate being unethical, dishonest and hypocritical are not crimes. Your in great luck. Being a deadbeat is government approved! 

Like I said...just being a Democrat is a crime in your eyes 

2 hours ago, 716er said:

Learn your/you're/you are and your petty insults might carry a bit more weight.

ha ‘Learn’

I do enjoy the novelty the token board spellchecker person.

While we’re at it, your user name is improperly punctuated  👍 

Not worried about weight, and pointing to hypocrisy is a observation of facts, not an insult. 

But fair, it is annoying the government steals my money to give to subsidize Tibs boat, while he goes on about all these values he preaches but doesn’t practice. 

On 3/22/2021 at 11:52 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

Yes.  Part of the reason we've sucked so much at Covid is because of the moron anti-maskers in our country who you can be sure are vastly also part of the anti-vaccination movement.  I say this anecdotally from the people I know who are anti-maskers, but I doubt you'd disagree that they're largely (though not entirely) part of the same group.  

Wanna complain constantly about everything being shut down and having to wear a mask anywhere in public?   Get your damn vaccination so we can crawl out of this.

"take a $1400 designed to “stimulate” the economy and use it for self-serving purposes" ... I get that you're probably playing Devil's Advocate or trying to be funny with this... but on the off chance that I should take that statement seriously...

giphy.gif

As for student loan debt.  The average cost of college is 31 times more than it was 50 years ago and today the average American needs to earn $22k more than the median income just to afford college.

Yes, something needs to be done.

Income hasn't been affected, yet.  Anticipating it happens this year as we are in a contract year.  And I've still had to commute to teach... even from an empty classroom at the beginning of this.

I'm not a policy-maker and so I won't pretend to be able to make these proposals, but I think the $10k of student loan debt cancellation is a good start.  

Republicans are such funny creatures: Deficit Hawks when Democrats are in office and massive spenders when Republicans are in office.

Funny how our Deficit is consistently lower under Democratic Administrations than Republican Administrations.

Glad this bill went through as it's $1.9 trillion that is actually going to help a lot of Americans that need really need the help in the lower and middle class as opposed to Trump's tax cut adding $1.9 trillion to our debt that primarily benefits the very wealthy.

I was somewhat sincere on the question about the use of your stimulus, but I recognize that folks have to do what's in their best interest in this and any other environment.  In that regard, for every individual complaining about 'tax breaks for the wealthy', it's apparent that those folks are just following the same course of action that you did.  Job 1 is take care of yourself and your family.  It certainly would have been helpful for the greater good had you spread that around at local businesses, restaurants, or maybe at those tiki bars we hear all about on the HGTV.  Maybe you could have had your hair set in corn rows and thrown the stylist a tip with some of it. 

That said, I get it.  Pay down the debt with the windfall.  I spoke with a man today who received his stimulus, didn't really need it as his income was not impacted by the lockdown, and he told me he was going to a local sports book to bet on a Yankee game.  That's not my cup of tea, but I suppose if he enjoys it, he's frequenting a local establishment that provides jobs for people and everyone wins. 

On the student loan cancellation--which isn't a cancelation at all, it's just the govt repatriating the debt obligation to others,  I'm perpetually surprised by the people who support such a scheme.  I understand the '31 times blah blah blah' and 'average family blah blah blah', but that's simply the fine art of manipulating people into assuming victim status.  Here's the deal on a local level--you made a choice to attend school XXX, to pursue a degree in XXX, at a cost of XXX.  The choices included community college, night school while working during the day, considerations on commuting or attending school where room and board was required, and the time frame in which you completed your education.  You've spoken passionately about your avocation, so surely you knew some of the benefits of your chosen profession.  One would assume you knew of some of the limitations.  You presumably feel validated in your profession, exchange your services for appropriate financial consideration, and are able to meet your debt obligations.  

Why is that someone else's burden to carry?  This question is rhetorical of course, I have no idea if you followed a prudent course of action or not, but college debt does not simply appear on ones balance sheet.  In most cases, it's a 22 year work in progress to obtain, and a multi-year marathon of misplaced priorities, entitlements, and poor decision making to sustain.  

I am convinced there has not been a weaker, more opportunistic class of educated beggars in the history of our country, and it troubles me.  Given the numbers thrown around, we literally can see multiple generations of family members looking to relieve themself of the debt they tripped over themselves to incur by signing up at the soon to be announced Student Loan Soup Kitchen where the Nittany Lion victims go to the left, the Cal-Berkely to the right, and the SUNY NY shoots right up the middle.  

But sure, $10k off one's debt obligations is a great start for some, a real kick in the jimmy for those  burdened with the debt.  

As for the vaccine, I'm a live and let live guy.  I haven't witnessed widespread disturbances by the unmasked that you reference, but I most definitely acknowledge a simmering skepticism about virtually everything we are being told about masks, vaccines and death rates.  I think it's highly inappropriate to suggest withholding stimulus checks simply because someone else has a #mybodymyrules set of values different than yours.  It's supersized imo by the massive amount of money going to folks who simply do not need the stimulus to begin with, and that starts with public sector and federal employees.  

Glad you were not impacted financially by the crisis---and I hope that your next contract works the way you want it to go.  

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd
  • Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I am convinced there has not been a weaker, more opportunistic class of educated beggars in the history of our country, and it troubles me.  

This is one of the more profound, well put  and deeply troubling sentiments I’ve seen here. The word ‘Earn’ is offensive and detestable to more people every day. 

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

This is one of the more profound, well put  and deeply troubling sentiments I’ve seen here. The word ‘Earn’ is offensive and detestable to more people every day. 

I’ve been alive in excess of 21,000 days and this may be  be the high water mark of my existence.  

I’ll take it. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Wonderful! So that means if you didn’t have part of your paycheck automatically taken you’d donate to this cause on your own. Please do so. It’s not the role of the government to fund such enterprises. Think about it. You’re argument is that you want to fund one government program because it saves money from going to...you guessed it...another government program. Can’t you see how horribly circular this all becomes? All with good intentions, of course. 

I do and I pry would if needed.  It’s more forcing people who don’t want to fund pp to  be forced to contribute.  

18 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Your problem is that you are assuming that having a child is a rational decision.   Too many people don't think beyond the moment, and too frequently, it's not even any kind of "decision" as illustrated by adolescents with raging hormones or adults who party too hearty. 

32 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Your problem is that you are assuming that having a child is a rational decision.   Too many people don't think beyond the moment, and too frequently, it's not even any kind of "decision" as illustrated by adolescents with raging hormones or adults who party too hearty. 

I understand that.  Some do some don't.  

I fathered 2 children.  One was planned, one wasn't.  so I understand your point.  Chilren are expensive.  But at the same time if you're bringing in $1200 a month, $300 sounds like a lot of money.

Again goes back to why do we have so many children born to people not set up for it with the plethora of free contraception available?  Maybe some public service announcements could help?  Maybe they don't know what's available. 

10 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

avoid what? You rationalized a bunch of money getting arbitrarily heaped on some cherry picked and already funded existing wasteful chronically failing government programs. 

we all know who you’re ‘taking it from’ 🐑

Enjoy your covid bonus on top of your thousands in stimulus money and the 5000x return your union got on the election campaign finance kickback (260 billion dollars - grotesquely corrupt and right in broad daylight.) 

Couldn’t have made it through without defrauding taxpayers for all that ‘emergency’ money you and your reps are stealing, right? 

I'm not bothering addressing your non sequiturs because you're clearly just buried in your own delusions.  Keep basking in them.  Clearly you guys are all just still so butt hurt your own realities were shattered when the American people ousted your boy from office after one term.

On 3/23/2021 at 9:54 AM, dpberr said:

Inflation is something to think about, but it's probably not as much of a concern as one might think.

I saw my friend @Over 29 years of fanhood bring up Freakanomics.  Lately I've been listening to a lot of podcasts including Freakanomics Radio.  One of the most recent ones was on a trillion dollar platinum coin.  Tons of really interesting stuff in there about commonly held myths involving inflation and printing new money.

Some interesting perspectives quite relevant to today if you're interested.

• Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I’ve been alive in excess of 21,000 days and this may be  be the high water mark of my existence.  

I’ll take it. 

I get a round 21,900 in a couple weeks.

21,900/365=:(

Actually 60's the new 30! 

3 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I understand that.  Some do some don't.  

I fathered 2 children.  One was planned, one wasn't.  so I understand your point.  Chilren are expensive.  But at the same time if you're bringing in $1200 a month, $300 sounds like a lot of money.

Again goes back to why do we have so many children born to people not set up for it with the plethora of free contraception available?  Maybe some public service announcements could help?  Maybe they don't know what's available. 

I fathered no children.  My wife and I have been together nearly 40 years and have never once even had a scare.  Sure she had her tubes tied early on but still there were many active years without even a whoopsie.  It's not hard....I mean difficult.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I'm not bothering addressing your non sequiturs because you're clearly just buried in your own delusions.  Keep basking in them.  Clearly you guys are all just still so butt hurt your own realities were shattered when the American people ousted your boy from office after one term.

Trump is more your boy than mine. The reality is you should look in the mirror and understand how your parties’ welfare state policies are so horrid and oppressive that people actually voted for that clown instead.  I mean a reality TV detestable corrupt pos. Have you actually met a good moral person with republican views? They had to hold their nose voting for that schittshow. 

My position is that both political parties are morally bankrupt, corrupt and are both perpetuating the downfall. Party liners and ‘non independent’ thinkers are the problem who buy msm narrative hook line and sinker.

I staunchly oppose overarching federal governments bent on consolidating control and power. 

also, got it, non sequiturs = line item from covid relief bill that can’t be defended as anything other than corruption/waste. 

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Inflation is something to think about, but it's probably not as much of a concern as one might think.

I saw my friend @Over 29 years of fanhood bring up Freakanomics.  Lately I've been listening to a lot of podcasts including Freakanomics Radio.  One of the most recent ones was on a trillion dollar platinum coin.  Tons of really interesting stuff in there about commonly held myths involving inflation and printing new money.

Some interesting perspectives quite relevant to today if you're interested.

don’t refer to me please, you’ve categorized me as an idiot parent and insulted my children’s intelligence.

ahhh altruistic educators.... 

Think I got mine today. Have the bank email me when a deposit or withdrawal > I$100 is made.  Got one today. Will be going to the ATM tomorrow and see if it is > $1000 what I had i there last week.'m n SS.