Stimulus Checks.

Irv

1 hour ago, Wacka said:

Think I got mine today. Have the bank email me when a deposit or withdrawal > I$100 is made.  Got one today. Will be going to the ATM tomorrow and see if it is > $1000 what I had i there last week.'m n SS.

Spread it around, but be wise.  We have discovered @Chef Jim and @SoCal Deek are old as F, so they'll just buy Metamucil and prune juice. My boy @transplantbillsfan will just do something level-headed, like buy those chunky pencil erasers (because he's old school) or pay down a debt that the Cancellor King Biden is going to forgive by executive decree and by uttering the following words "COME BEFORE ME, BOY, AND THOUST DEBT SHALL BE VANQUISHED".   @BillStime has a curfew and mentioned once that he is an investor in Mallow Cup dollars--he calls it "the original crypto-currency", but where's he going with that?  Magic Xray specs?  He can't be trusted with that sort of power.  @Over 29 years of fanhood has some game, this is true, he swipes at those on the right and those on the left...but one must wonder who shot his avatar?  That was no accident and coincidentally, he lives in Maryland.   

No, the way I see it, it's down to you, @I am the egg man, @B-Man, and me.  I'm the easy choice.  I have nothing bad to say about Eggs (drinker) nor B-Man (also drinks), I just think we split up that stimuli fitty/fitty and see what it buys us. 

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

My Metamucil supply is getting low. Have to load up this week.

Have to start thinking about suplimental Medicare plans. I turn 64 tomorrow andd will soon be flooded with ads for them.

Edited by Wacka
  • Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Spread it around, but be wise.  We have discovered @Chef Jim and @SoCal Deek are old as F, so they'll just buy Metamucil and prune juice. My boy @transplantbillsfan will just do something level-headed, like buy those chunky pencil erasers (because he's old school) or pay down a debt that the Cancellor King Biden is going to forgive by executive decree and by uttering the following words "COME BEFORE ME, BOY, AND THOUST DEBT SHALL BE VANQUISHED".   @BillStime has a curfew and mentioned once that he is an investor in Mallow Cup dollars--he calls it "the original crypto-currency", but where's he going with that?  Magic Xray specs?  He can't be trusted with that sort of power.  @Over 29 years of fanhood has some game, this is true, he swipes at those on the right and those on the left...but one must wonder who shot his avatar?  That was no accident and coincidentally, he lives in Maryland.   

No, the way I see it, it's down to you, @I am the egg man, @B-Man, and me.  I'm the easy choice.  I have nothing bad to say about Eggs (drinker) nor B-Man (also drinks), I just think we split up that stimuli fitty/fitty and see what it buys us. 

I may be old but I’m not dead.  Hookers and blow with mine!  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

You attacked my children. You’re scum. And from what I’ve heard the crappiest teacher on grand island. Welcome to doxxing. You’re outed. 

Attacked? Boy you really are emotionally fragile. You brought your kids into the conversation. Don't bring them into the conversation if you don't want them to be part of the conversation. Or worse yet... don't use them as human shields for yourself in your own deflections.

Attacked your children??? I can only assume you're referring to this:

I have conferences with occasional idiot parents (sounds like you're one of those) who have a large number of assumptions because they're half paying attention to what their students are doing in schools while pretending they're fully paying attention.  Standard Helicopter Parents.  Meet with them.  Talk to them.  Discover they don't know their head from their a$$ because they didn't actually read the syllabus they signed permission for and are consistently being told something by their kids that just isn't true.

You wanna help your kids?  Put the onus of learning where it belongs first and foremost... on them.

Next.  Go to the Teacher.

Somewhere in the middle there you might also want to examine yourself as a parent.  You're clearly bitter... maybe you had a bad teacher and you're just projecting now.  I think you should self-assess.

If you read that as an attack on your children, you need to go back to school because you have reading comprehension problems. If you are so inclined to read it as an attack on anyone, it'd be an attack on you if you're one of those parents I referred to.

Are you?

Clearly I struck a nerve... you might want to bring this up with your therapist.

And yep... you got me. I'm the crappiest teacher on Grand Island...

but that's because I don't live or teach anywhere near Grand Island. No clue where you got that silly notion.

And thanks for occasionally minding (somewhat) the kids while the adults get some work done..... here’s an extra stimulus check. Go buy yourself a nice fortnite skin or two bud you’ve earned it. 

giphy.gif

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I was somewhat sincere on the question about the use of your stimulus, but I recognize that folks have to do what's in their best interest in this and any other environment.  In that regard, for every individual complaining about 'tax breaks for the wealthy', it's apparent that those folks are just following the same course of action that you did.  Job 1 is take care of yourself and your family.  It certainly would have been helpful for the greater good had you spread that around at local businesses, restaurants, or maybe at those tiki bars we hear all about on the HGTV.  Maybe you could have had your hair set in corn rows and thrown the stylist a tip with some of it. 

You're making this a false choice and you're being silly if you think Biden and the Democrats sole purpose with these $1400 checks was to stimulate the economy.

You're smarter than that and honestly I think you're just building a fallacious argument on top of itself in the hopes that I'll bite.

That said, I get it.  Pay down the debt with the windfall.  I spoke with a man today who received his stimulus, didn't really need it as his income was not impacted by the lockdown, and he told me he was going to a local sports book to bet on a Yankee game.  That's not my cup of tea, but I suppose if he enjoys it, he's frequenting a local establishment that provides jobs for people and everyone wins. 

That's nice for him that he's financially comfortable enough to throw all of his $1400 away... most people who got those checks aren't. 

But again... you're still building...

On the student loan cancellation--which isn't a cancelation at all, it's just the govt repatriating the debt obligation to others,  I'm perpetually surprised by the people who support such a scheme.  I understand the '31 times blah blah blah' and 'average family blah blah blah', but that's simply the fine art of manipulating people into assuming victim status.  Here's the deal on a local level--you made a choice to attend school XXX, to pursue a degree in XXX, at a cost of XXX.  The choices included community college, night school while working during the day, considerations on commuting or attending school where room and board was required, and the time frame in which you completed your education.  You've spoken passionately about your avocation, so surely you knew some of the benefits of your chosen profession.  One would assume you knew of some of the limitations.  You presumably feel validated in your profession, exchange your services for appropriate financial consideration, and are able to meet your debt obligations.  

I'm able to meet my debt obligations.  The issue is that debt obligations regarding college education has far outpaced wage increases.

As for the "repatriating the debt obligation to others..." it just bores me when your side complains about taxes while enjoying the benefit those taxes bring. 

Why is that someone else's burden to carry?  This question is rhetorical of course, I have no idea if you followed a prudent course of action or not, but college debt does not simply appear on ones balance sheet.  In most cases, it's a 22 year work in progress to obtain, and a multi-year marathon of misplaced priorities, entitlements, and poor decision making to sustain.  

Burden?  Look the college debt thing has reached a tipping point.  I don't think ALL college debt should be expunged, but definitely a chunk of it.

Love what states like Georgia and (apparently now) NY are doing with state schools as far as making in-state-tuition free for students.  I wish that were in place when I was going to college as I also went to a state school for both my undergraduate and Master's degree.

I am convinced there has not been a weaker, more opportunistic class of educated beggars in the history of our country, and it troubles me.  Given the numbers thrown around, we literally can see multiple generations of family members looking to relieve themself of the debt they tripped over themselves to incur by signing up at the soon to be announced Student Loan Soup Kitchen where the Nittany Lion victims go to the left, the Cal-Berkely to the right, and the SUNY NY shoots right up the middle.  

Beggars?  I really don't know how old you are, but much of those "educated beggars" you refer to are dealing with the consequences of a world built by the people before them.  That includes you.

One of the consequences of that world is a society where it's SIGNIFICANTLY harder to get a job that pays well enough to own a house (the very definition of just being middle class) without a college degree.

The college degree has become incredibly important to attaining the American Dream nowadays... which is simply to be a middle-class American.

Oh.  And then you ask kids just outta High School--which almost inarguably is rigorous and time-consuming for the vast majority of students especially when you put extra-curricular activities in play--and expect them to be culpable for the finances of college by working simultaneously and dealing with a more rigorous curriculum is just insane as an expectation of all High School students.

I went to a state school and got my undergrad and graduate degrees in 5 years total.  My wife took 10 years to get her bachelor's degree because she worked through college and also switched majors a couple times.

Honestly.  If I don't get student loan forgiveness, I'm good.  I will manage.  I feel worse and worse for my students ever.

If you or any of your ilk don't want your taxes to go anywhere that doesn't benefit you (maybe you don't have kids or send your kids to a private school so you're pissed about public school funding?  Or maybe you don't believe in science?  Or maybe you don't ever leave your house so who gives a damn about your roads?  Or you have your own car so who gives a damn about public transportation? etc) then I'm sure there are other countries you'd appreciate more.

But sure, $10k off one's debt obligations is a great start for some, a real kick in the jimmy for those  burdened with the debt.  

$373 billion of "burden."  Considering the trillions of dollars Trump has made our Country spend first because of the tax break to his pals and then because of a COMPLETELY bungled Covid response endorsed apparently by you (?) and all 70 million of his followers... 

Just remember that I'm burdened with the debt induced by that tax plan that primarily benefits the extremely wealthy and I'm burdened with the $7.1 trillion debt your boy Donald Trump saddled me with... and that's still growing every year his tax plan is in place.

I really like you, but you really do have tunnel vision sometimes... and I'm not saying I don't.

Glad you were not impacted financially by the crisis---and I hope that your next contract works the way you want it to go.  

I'm good.  Next contract is a wait and see... but I'll be ecstatic if it remains the status quo of what we have.

And on a side note:  I appreciate these conversations as much as I may disagree with you in many respects--though not always.  This, to me, is the way it's supposed to work.  Talk, hear each other out.  And even if you don't agree on anything in the end, each side is at least considering what the other side said.  It's one of the great disappointments of the mass exodus that happened is that there weren't more like you.

8 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

You're making this a false choice and you're being silly if you think Biden and the Democrats sole purpose with these $1400 checks was to stimulate the economy.

You're smarter than that and honestly I think you're just building a fallacious argument on top of itself in the hopes that I'll bite.

That's nice for him that he's financially comfortable enough to throw all of his $1400 away... most people who got those checks aren't. 

But again... you're still building...

I'm able to meet my debt obligations.  The issue is that debt obligations regarding college education has far outpaced wage increases.

As for the "repatriating the debt obligation to others..." it just bores me when your side complains about taxes while enjoying the benefit those taxes bring. 

Burden?  Look the college debt thing has reached a tipping point.  I don't think ALL college debt should be expunged, but definitely a chunk of it.

Love what states like Georgia and (apparently now) NY are doing with state schools as far as making in-state-tuition free for students.  I wish that were in place when I was going to college as I also went to a state school for both my undergraduate and Master's degree.

Beggars?  I really don't know how old you are, but much of those "educated beggars" you refer to are dealing with the consequences of a world built by the people before them.  That includes you.

One of the consequences of that world is a society where it's SIGNIFICANTLY harder to get a job that pays well enough to own a house (the very definition of just being middle class) without a college degree.

The college degree has become incredibly important to attaining the American Dream nowadays... which is simply to be a middle-class American.

Oh.  And then you ask kids just outta High School--which almost inarguably is rigorous and time-consuming for the vast majority of students especially when you put extra-curricular activities in play--and expect them to be culpable for the finances of college by working simultaneously and dealing with a more rigorous curriculum is just insane as an expectation of all High School students.

I went to a state school and got my undergrad and graduate degrees in 5 years total.  My wife took 10 years to get her bachelor's degree because she worked through college and also switched majors a couple times.

Honestly.  If I don't get student loan forgiveness, I'm good.  I will manage.  I feel worse and worse for my students ever.

If you or any of your ilk don't want your taxes to go anywhere that doesn't benefit you (maybe you don't have kids or send your kids to a private school so you're pissed about public school funding?  Or maybe you don't believe in science?  Or maybe you don't ever leave your house so who gives a damn about your roads?  Or you have your own car so who gives a damn about public transportation? etc) then I'm sure there are other countries you'd appreciate more.

$373 billion of "burden."  Considering the trillions of dollars Trump has made our Country spend first because of the tax break to his pals and then because of a COMPLETELY bungled Covid response endorsed apparently by you (?) and all 70 million of his followers... 

Just remember that I'm burdened with the debt induced by that tax plan that primarily benefits the extremely wealthy and I'm burdened with the $7.1 trillion debt your boy Donald Trump saddled me with... and that's still growing every year his tax plan is in place.

I really like you, but you really do have tunnel vision sometimes... and I'm not saying I don't.

I'm good.  Next contract is a wait and see... but I'll be ecstatic if it remains the status quo of what we have.

And on a side note:  I appreciate these conversations as much as I may disagree with you in many respects--though not always.  This, to me, is the way it's supposed to work.  Talk, hear each other out.  And even if you don't agree on anything in the end, each side is at least considering what the other side said.  It's one of the great disappointments of the mass exodus that happened is that there weren't more like you.

Oh brother!

That sure was a lot of words in that manifesto so I’ll keep it simple. 

Tax Cut: Trump’s tax cut did nothing more than put the upper tax rate back to where it was before it was raised under Obama to help out going into the Great Recession. A 2.5% reset on the highest bracket is hardly a windfall. Enough of your class warfare nonsense! 

Student Loans: If you chose to take out a loan you have to pay it back. Others, like myself, paid for our college expenses and those of our children. It took both planning and sacrifice. If you didn’t do either of those it doesn’t make you a bad person but you shouldn’t burden the rest of us with the cost of your ‘elective surgery’. Your debt is not eternal; start cracking away at it. Believe me, it’ll get paid off over the years and you’ll be the better for it. 

13 hours ago, Wacka said:

I thought the deposit in my account was a stimulus check. I was wrong. It was my SS check.

You need to find yourself a better bank.  I got mine just in time for Patty’s day.

2 minutes ago, Unforgiven said:

Was at the Walmart in the nearest local city to me on Saturday, place was packed,

and I as I walked around I noticed many shelves were completely bare.

Walmart has been properly stimulated.

This is why giving people money to pay their bills and/or stimulate the economy is stupid.  The people that are elected to run our governments are so ***** clueless with regard to personal behavior and economics (among many many other things).  They do things thinking of only how it can keep them in their "phony baloney" jobs vs what are the short and long term effects of the decisions they make.  

1 hour ago, Unforgiven said:

Was at the Walmart in the nearest local city to me on Saturday, place was packed,

and I as I walked around I noticed many shelves were completely bare.

Walmart has been properly stimulated.

Now what should really cheese you off is that these 'stimulus' checks were a VERY small part of the $1.9 TRILLION that they passed.  At that rate, Walmart could be bare for the better part of the next century! 

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

The funny part is that they actually thought that this is how Americans would react to getting money back from the government.

How out of touch are they ?

Now wonder that were shamed into deleting it.