Spotrac: freeing up cap space for Bills

54 minutes ago, costrovs said:

I must've missed that. Still though, that's a huge hole to fill for $4.8M of salary. I don't think we're gonna find a similar center for less than $5M/year.

Power Run scheme or not, it doesn't help when both Moss and Singletary suck. lol

There are a lot of other threads here where people suggest that Feliciano will be brought back to play C. Morse has the concussion issues as well. 

If the Bills go this route, I could see them designating Morse as a June 1 cut, which saves another $2.75 mil.  I think Addison would be good candidate here as well, saving another $2 mil.  All in all, those moves listed in the OP create over $60 mil in cap space. 

6 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Ummmm ok not sure when I was running him out of town, but they structured his deal last year to have an easier out this year. 

Yeah, that wasn't really you but you were the easiest to quickly respond to, so to a degree I apologize for coming on hot. However, by saying that their inability to move on from him after a year due to the opt out was "screwing the pooch" and implies they want to move on from him. I'm not so sure that's the case given the two years he was in the center of the defense, they had the number 3 defense in the league. I doubt they consider him the fiasco a lot of people here (not necessarily you) seem to.   

1 hour ago, BillsFan130 said:

Hoping John brown doesn’t get cut.

Would much prefer them signing him to an extension to free up a little room this year.

I’m with you I like smoke and hope he’s back as long as injuries won’t be a concern moving forward , 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

Yeah, that wasn't really you but you were the easiest to quickly respond to, so to a degree I apologize for coming on hot. However, by saying that their inability to move on from him after a year due to the opt out was "screwing the pooch" and implies they want to move on from him. I'm not so sure that's the case given the two years he was in the center of the defense, they had the number 3 defense in the league. I doubt they consider him the fiasco a lot of people here (not necessarily you) seem to.   

I don’t have a problem with him. I do think their plan was to pay him more last season expecting it to be his last here. Otherwise it didn’t make a ton of sense to rework his contract last offseason. They didn’t know or count on him opting out and his structure pushing a season. Either way he’s gonna be here this season there’s no way around that rather it’s good or bad we shall see. 

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

This doesn't make much sense to me. All of those re-structure examples (including Diggs - who they quietly did some maintenance on his deal after being traded) have come on deals done within the year. Kind of a hard sell to come right back to those guys, don't you think? Guys like Hughes and Morse make way more sense for a restructure. 

Diggs wants to win. He was the only guy who stayed on the field to watch the Chiefs celebrate. I am pretty sure he is flexible when it comes to making the team better so long as he doesn't have to take a pay cut.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Beane said Morse didn't fit the power run blocking scheme they moved to towards the end of the season. Morse is definitely in danger of being released. Brown is pretty much gone. 

The only thing with Morse is could restructure him and end up with almost as much cap saving and not have an open roster spot. But did hear the comments about him not fitting the scheme best.

Wil not be surprised if much of the guessing as to who is gone and who is re-signed is resolved by this time next weekend. 17th is getting close!

I feel like I'm missing a lot of something, because, while I love Mongo's personality and the fact that he's a decent guard, there is no way I'd want to cut, despite what people here want to believe, a very good C on a reasonable contract. I would keep Morse over Feliciano and it isn't close.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Beane said Morse didn't fit the power run blocking scheme they moved to towards the end of the season. Morse is definitely in danger of being released. Brown is pretty much gone. 

By the supposed power run blocking scheme standard, the entire O line would need to be cut, being in actuality we never had a power run game to speak of except for like maybe two games..., and those were not toward the end of the season,  😁 being we are a pass first team, and Morse is one of the league’s best pass blocking centers... just sayin, 👍

1 hour ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Why release Morse? He will easily fetch a 4th or even a 3rd in the trade market. Centers at 7mill per year dont grow on trees even in the shrinking cap 2021 situation.

good point.  would rather trade him.  Any pick is better than straight up releasing.  I think the cap constraints just make it so hard this year.  Although perhaps we could get something from PIT since Pouncy retired?  

4 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

I feel like I'm missing a lot of something, because, while I love Mongo's personality and the fact that he's a decent guard, there is no way I'd want to cut, despite what people here want to believe, a very good C on a reasonable contract. I would keep Morse over Feliciano and it isn't close.

skill wise I think you keep Morse, but you would clearly need to draft a solid strong guard who can also play center given Morse injury history.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

good point.  would rather trade him.  Any pick is better than straight up releasing.  I think the cap constraints just make it so hard this year.  Although perhaps we could get something from PIT since Pouncy retired?  

skill wise I think you keep Morse, but you would clearly need to draft a solid strong guard who can also play center given Morse injury history.  

I can agree with that. I love Matt Milano but if we can't keep him, I hope we can sign Williams and then grab a guy like Kirksey to replace Milano, where he and Klein have a kind of timeshare depending on passing and running downs, and then focus on the OL and DL which are both in need of something.

39 minutes ago, Putin said:

I don’t think Singletary and Moss suck but our OL straggled in the running game , I hope that fixing the power running game won’t come with a cost of keeping our franchise upright 

They're not that bad, But not that good either. And I totally agree with you on the second part. From what I've read on these forums, It seems like most people are ok with letting Daryl Williams leave in the off season. He's our best RT we've had in 15+ years. And I'm sure that had a lot to do with keeping JA upright. 

Does anyone on here have any actual news regarding Daryl and the Bills other than just rumors? They're being pretty hush-hush about it. To me, that sounds like a deal is being made behind the scenes.

1 minute ago, costrovs said:

They're not that bad, But not that good either. And I totally agree with you on the second part. From what I've read on these forums, It seems like most people are ok with letting Daryl Williams leave in the off season. He's our best RT we've had in 15+ years. And I'm sure that had a lot to do with keeping JA upright. 

Does anyone on here have any actual news regarding Daryl and the Bills other than just rumors? They're being pretty hush-hush about it. To me, that sounds like a deal is being made behind the scenes.

Imo, I think the problem with Singletary and Moss is that they are basically the same player. The Cover 1 guys talk a lot about a guy like James White who I think would be a good contrast to Singletary or Moss, who both mostly run draws or slants. White is the type of guy who can receive passes or make runs to the outside which aren't the forte of either of our two backs.

13 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Personally, I would extend Brown and free up money that way.  There’s no reason to break up our weapons.

I can think of a couple reasons-  

Health.  If we had 2019 JB last season, I’d agree.  He was clearly not the WR we saw in 2019.  Watch the all-22 of the chiefs game and focus on how little separation he got the entire game.  He’ll be 31 in less than a month.  Imo, he wasn’t nearly the same player as 2019 and I’m not sure if he ever will be again.  I don’t think I t’s a good idea to get caught up in more gtd money that we might not be able to get out of.  

Opportunity for cheaper options-  Looking at our offense, we’re now finally in position to recruit good FA WRs to join us. A destination passing offense so to speak. Focusing on the WRs that thought they would get more $ than they were offered and stick around in free agency, I believe we can add 1 solid WR at a bargain 1 year deal as opposed to extending JB @ 7M+ per year.  

Solid late rd pick options.   Gabriel Davis was a 4th rd pick. Hodgins was a 6th.  I think we should select a Wr in every draft and there are several late round prospects in this draft that I believe can step in and produce a la Gabriel.

I’m a big JB fan....I just don’t think that we missed him when he was out and would be better off allocating his cap hit to OL, DL, CB or milanos replacement 

13 minutes ago, costrovs said:

I think most here want Daryl back but realize that he may receive offers of 11-13M a year and that may be too rich for our current cap situation.

There’s no news being reported because that’s how McBeane prefers it. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Health.  If we had 2019 JB last season, I’d agree.  He was clearly not the WR we saw in 2019.  Watch the all-22 of the chiefs game and focus on how little separation he got the entire game.  He’ll be 31 in less than a month.  Imo, he wasn’t nearly the same player as 2019 and I’m not sure if he ever will be again.  I don’t think I t’s a good idea to get caught up in more gtd money that we might not be able to get out of.  

Opportunity for cheaper options-  Looking at our offense, we’re now finally in position to recruit good FA WRs to join us. A destination passing offense so to speak. Focusing on the WRs that thought they would get more $ than they were offered and stick around in free agency, I believe we can add 1 solid WR at a bargain 1 year deal as opposed to extending JB @ 7M+ per year.  

Solid late rd pick options.   Gabriel Davis was a 4th rd pick. Hodgins was a 6th.  I think we should select a Wr in every draft and there are several late round prospects in this draft that I believe can step in and produce a la Gabriel.

I’m a big JB fan....I just don’t think that we missed him when he was out and would be better off allocating his cap hit to OL, DL, CB or milanos replacement 

I think most here want Daryl back but realize that he may receive offers of 11-13M a year and that may be too rich for our current cap situation.

There’s no news being reported because that’s how McBeane prefers it. 

This is pretty much exactly how I see it also.

(not sure if you'll agree, but it makes perfect sense to me.)

Cut JB = save $8M

Gabriel Davis takes over for JB.

Allocate that $8M to extend Daryl Williams.

Addition by subtraction.

GD will only get better as time goes on, and we'll lock in our RT for the next 3+ years. Keeping JA upright for the foreseeable future.

No news is good news! And I like it!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Hear me out Butt Stuff,

Yes, he got it injured this past year, but he’s still relatively cheap and think we could restructure him lower and get 2-3 more years out of him.  I don’t know that his being a step off when he returned wasn’t due to his injury.  He’s overall not shown durability issues before. 

However, I can’t say I researched that at all 😀

13 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Hear me out Butt Stuff,

Yes, he got it injured this past year, but he’s still relatively cheap and think we could restructure him lower and get 2-3 more years out of him.  I don’t know that his being a step off when he returned wasn’t due to his injury.  He’s overall not shown durability issues before. 

However, I can’t say I researched that at all 😀

I hear ya.  I’d love to have him back if he were making 4-5M a year, but it all comes back to salary cap for me. I just don’t think he’d sign an extension for 4-5M.  Considering the talent we can sign/draft at WR (with resources MUCH less than the 7-8M he’ll likely cost), I don’t think he’s worth it and I’d rather apply that cap space to other needs.  

If he would have gotten separation vs KC in the AFCCG, maybe I’d be singing a different tune, but I watched the game in depth in his performance really disappointed me.  Our offense didn’t seem to miss him when he was out.  He seems like a really expensive depth player and I feel the biggest defense for keeping him is that Josh Allen loves him

1 hour ago, TPS said:

There are a lot of other threads here where people suggest that Feliciano will be brought back to play C. Morse has the concussion issues as well. 

If the Bills go this route, I could see them designating Morse as a June 1 cut, which saves another $2.75 mil.  I think Addison would be good candidate here as well, saving another $2 mil.  All in all, those moves listed in the OP create over $60 mil in cap space. 

Idk, i just don't see it. Cutting a very good center just to save $4.8M? That seems like a really stupid move TBH.

Spotrac along with overthecap cover all sports, they just punched in some numbers and came up with 60M savings. Not realizing that some of it makes 0 sense, and just isn't going to happen. Although the savings would be nice.

Restructure Diggs? like @BillsFanForever19 said, I do remember hearing about something earlier in the year with his contract.

Restructure White? C'mon! He just signed his contract in September. Him, his Attorney, the Bills FO all knew about the potentially lower salary cap this year. So any type of savings that we'd get, is already factored in.

Cut John Brown? This one makes the most sense to me. Doable, and we have his replacement in GD.

Cut Butler, Jefferson, Addison? Go right ahead, they're all replaceable with similar if not better players.

Cut Morse? Stupid idea. top 10 center, only to save $4.8M.

This isn't a stab at you, or the OP. It's more of a stab at Spotrac. 'Let's publish this list because it'll save the Bills $60M'

• Like (+1) 1