Spotrac: freeing up cap space for Bills

12 hours ago, BillsMafi$ said:

D0E9A39B-342B-4987-99A5-F37DF28EC548.jpeg

I would hope that they attempt to ask John Brown to take a pay cut. Shave 3ish million off of his cap number and you keep a good WR2 that adds a lot of speed and puts him at a good cap number. I would also like to restructure Mitch's contract to cut down his cap number 3.5ish million. I think Mitch is one of the best pass blocking centers in the league, he does all the little leadership things that you need a center to do and not a tragic run blocker. I think if they can get his cap number down a bit he still is a valuable asset to the team. 

Vernon Butler and Lee Smith are as good as gone. I would also like to see Quinton Jefferson restructured but if he is unwilling to take a significant pay cut then he can be gone too same goes for Addision. I wouldn't mind keeping Addision and Jefferson but not at their inflated salaries they need to be let go if they aren't willing to lower their salaries. They are nice rotational players but their salaries in 2021 are just too high for the production they are producing. I also think Hughes could squeeze down his salary a little to give the team some more space. 

It is however great to see that this team can free up 25 million on simple restructures of Diggs, White, Dawkins and Poyer. That along with the 9 million from releasing Butler and Smith is a great way to free up 34 million in cap space without really losing much if anything on the roster. Restructure Addision, Hughes, Brown, Jefferson, Mitch and AJ Klein a bit to free up more space and you could enter in with 50+ million in cap space.

Restructure - just change the contract where if it’s $30 mil over 4 yrs, just means you convert salary to bonus, they get the same $, but just pushed back to future years.  

Reduce - Pay cut, ie. $9.5 mil to $7 mil. this year.

Release - cut the player.

A lot of people say restructure when they mean reduce.  Not accusing anyone, and as many agree (eball, Hap, Gugs, and so on 😜) I’m not the brightest bulb in the house, but I stole from Pat Kirwan on MTC.  I thought it was a catchy phrase others are now using on various shows.

I hope this helps.  We definitely can restructure $, but just means we are banking with the new potential tv deals, the cap goes up exponentially so you kick the can down the road.  The Saints practically invented it, but they are going to pay for it this year.  If it does go up even remotely close to the prognostications, we’ll be fine.