2021 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees Announced

Rico

As usual there are too many.  Without offering comment on them all:

How is Tina Turner not already in?  Geez

Carole King and Dionne Warwick had nice voices that sang nothing resembling rock.

The Go-Go’s weren’t really all that talented and mostly sucked but should probably get in because their first hit, I Love Cecile, was a catchy lesbian tune whose topic was ahead of its time.

Fela Kuti sounds like an expensive cheese.  I will have to do some googling.

Most of the rest are probably worthy given acts already in.

9 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

I don't know who that is either, but they are currently leading the fan vote, almost 10,000 votes ahead of Tina Turner. Must be all those Nigerian princes working overtime to get the votes in. 

6 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

The foo fighters? I can see Dave getting in as a drummer but not his band.

idk what’s worse, the HoF or the Grammys 

That would be an interesting debate.

I can't be in the minority on this one. I love Foo Fighters, they'll be a slam dunk 1st ballot.

• Like (+1) 1

What’s the criteria?  The RRHOF is meaningless to me. 

2 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I don't know who that is either, but they are currently leading the fan vote, almost 10,000 votes ahead of Tina Turner. Must be all those Nigerian princes working overtime to get the votes in. 

Ah the criteria is a popularity contest??

It just become even more meaningless to me. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Fela Kuti was amazing, i hope you listen to his stuff....his legacy lives on in his son Femi.  Fela wasn't a household name by any means, but damn was he something to listen to

12 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

As usual there are too many.  Without offering comment on them all:

How is Tina Turner not already in?  Geez

Carole King and Dionne Warwick had nice voices that sang nothing resembling rock.

The Go-Go’s weren’t really all that talented and mostly sucked but should probably get in because their first hit, I Love Cecile, was a catchy lesbian tune whose topic was ahead of its time.

Most of the rest are probably worthy given acts already in.

• Like (+1) 1

In response to those who dislike how few players get into the pro football Hall of Fame each year, I present the counter argument: the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. 

Seems like they let in anyone with a pulse and a microphone.

Yuck.

Edited by Logic
  • Agree 1

Long overdue for the Go Go's and Iron Maiden.  Would love to see what it would sound like if they join forces on stage at the ceremony (unlikely).

The Rock HOF doesn't really have criteria - it's way too subjective.  For years, deserving acts have been ignored because the inner circle there just didn't like their music.  

On 2/10/2021 at 7:26 PM, Rico said:

https://vote.rockhall.com/

Always good for a laugh.

Jay-Z
Foo Fighters
Mary J. Blige
Iron Maiden
Tina Turner
The Go-Go’s
Rage Against the Machine
Kate Bush
Devo
Chaka Khan
Carole King
Fela Kuti
LL Cool J
New York Dolls
Todd Rundgren
Dionne Warwick

Only 3 I would vote in... surprised Todd isn't already in there due to the early Nazz work he did before his solo career and Utopia.

2 minutes ago, T&C said:

Only 3 I would vote in... surprised Todd isn't already in there due to the early Nazz work he did before his solo career and Utopia.

I would say Todd and the Dolls. I believe that Tina Turner and Carole King are already in. 

If I had to add a 3rd, I would say Kate Bush. I personally have never acquired a taste for her, but I know many swear she is great.

2 minutes ago, Rico said:

I would say Todd and the Dolls. I believe that Tina Turner and Carole King are already in. 

If I had to add a 3rd, I would say Kate Bush. I personally have never acquired a taste for her, but I know many swear she is great.

If Tina Turner and Carole King are already in why are they on the list I wonder. I haven't looked though.

Yeah, I could never get into Kate Bush and like you, know people who love her. Ear of the beholder.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, T&C said:

If Tina Turner and Carole King are already in why are they on the list I wonder. I haven't looked though.

Yeah, I could never get into Kate Bush and like you, know people who love her. Ear of the beholder.

I know Tina is in with Ike & Tina Turner, and I think Carole King is in as a songwriter.

Iron Maiden
The Go-Go’s
Devo
Todd Rundgren (look at his non-artist credits... he's done a lot for rock)

That should be the actual list... Carole King is by far the best artist on that list along with Tina Turner, but she's not rock and roll.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

4 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Iron Maiden
The Go-Go’s
Devo
Todd Rundgren (look at his non-artist credits... he's done a lot for rock)

That should be the actual list... Carole King is by far the best artist on that list along with Tina Turner, but she's not rock and roll.

Todd produced the Tubes Remote Control Lp... tough to say who is the best artist on the list but the King/Goffin songwriting really is something.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 2/13/2021 at 11:35 AM, PastaJoe said:

It’s basically become the HOF for all influential rock, pop, R&B, and rap artists since the 50s. Anything except country and classical.

Iron Maiden
Tina Turner
The Go-Go’s
Carole King

LL Cool J
Todd Rundgren
Dionne Warwick

Which is weird because Country is a lot closer to rock than Hip Hop is.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.