Haason Reddick - free agent I'd love

He is a FA, and he's a lot more appealing to me than Milano (who I also like). I don't think we'll get him, but man, did he blow up this season after a mediocre first three years (young talented players do get better!). He'd 12.5 sacks and finished 3rd in the league in tackles for a loss with 15. That's 27.5 negative yardage plays. He also had SIX forced fumbles and four passes defensed. He also runs a 4.52 40. My guess is that he gets north of $15 million per. One can dream. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

So wait, we let Milano go because we can't afford to re-up him at $10M (or whatever he wants), in favor of a former #13 pick who kind of underperformed for 3 years, until his contract year?

Wouldn't that be the classic sort of "watch out" for a guy who pushed extra to get that big contract and might settle back to his mediocre ways?

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 4

He's a very versatile player which is a trait that McBeane really love in their players. It's possible. Joe B dropped his name as a possible trade candidate back at the deadline. I doubt he had a scoop that said they are interested, it's more just him connecting the dots and looking at players that fit what Buffalo does. 

I expect more under-the-radar free agent signings since the cap is a little tighter for them this year. I could see guys like John Brown and Trent Murphy being let go to create some cap space if they have some FAs they really wanna go after. 

• Agree 2

Just now, blacklabel said:

He's a very versatile player which is a trait that McBeane really love in their players. It's possible. Joe B dropped his name as a possible trade candidate back at the deadline. I doubt he had a scoop that said they are interested, it's more just him connecting the dots and looking at players that fit what Buffalo does. 

I expect more under-the-radar free agent signings since the cap is a little tighter for them this year. I could see guys like John Brown and Trent Murphy being let go to create some cap space if they have some FAs they really wanna go after. 

The rumor was that he was a player on the Bills draft radar in 2017 so it would make sense.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So wait, we let Milano go because we can't afford to re-up him at $10M (or whatever he wants), in favor of a former #13 pick who kind of underperformed for 3 years, until his contract year?

Wouldn't that be the classic sort of "watch out" for a guy who pushed extra to get that big contract and might settle back to his mediocre ways?

He didn't move to OLB until the end of 2019. They had him playing inside prior to. 

https://www.azcardinals.com/news/living-on-the-edge-haason-reddick-finally-finds-his-home

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I dunno. I think it's probably more a story of a talented player finally learning how to play the game and thus pushing himself to an elite level. Guys do actually improve with experience. Also, it's not as if he's out there chasing one final contract. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 3

beware player who doesn't perform until their contract year. It's rarely a case of the 'lightbulb' going on against a case of, "If I really put in the work this 1 year then I'm set for life".

What about this guy says he's going to put that same work in year in and year out? What changed? 

Edited by jeremy2020
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

He was a ILB/OLB when he was drafted, and was moved to a situational edge rusher in a 3-4 because he couldnt play linebacker.   He cant play 4-3 defensive end because he is 6'1 235.   He offers nothing for the Bills. 

This.

Not sure why anyone would think he's versatile. He simply excelled at one role. If the Bills think they could use him on the edge, then fine, but it doesn't seem to be a scheme fit.

4 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

This.

Not sure why anyone would think he's versatile. He simply excelled at one role. If the Bills think they could use him on the edge, then fine, but it doesn't seem to be a scheme fit.

Agreed.  From Beane's presser it seems like they want to get heavier along the line and Reddick doesnt fit that mold.  

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

beware player who doesn't perform until their contract year. It's rarely a case of the 'lightbulb' going on against a case of, "If I really put in the work this 1 year then I'm set for life".

What about this guy says he's going to put that same work in year in and year out? What changed? 

He changed position, and turned out to be excellent at that new position. Whether he's versatile or not, he makes plays. I remember when GB let Paup go, and the word out of GB was that he was too "one-dimensional." After he tore up the league in 1995, I remember Ron Jaworski saying, "yeah, he's got one dimension, and that dimension is 'great.'"

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

I agree with this.....be wary of the “Contract Warrior”!!

• Like (+1) 1

I love his physicals.  

where would you play him?  

infeelmthat he’s great rushing the passer and making a living in the opposing backfield.

Considering our system, I don’t think we’d have the luxury of letting him do that.  He’d have to play OLB and he hasn’t been effective in coverage.  LBs in our system have to excel in coverage.  He has the speed....but he’s o me, he’s a 3-4 rush lb.  Considering how much we play nickel, he doesn’t fit in lorenzos old role as he’d be too expensive to play 50% of the snaps. 

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He changed position, and turned out to be excellent at that new position. Whether he's versatile or not, he makes plays. I remember when GB let Paup go, and the word out of GB was that he was too "one-dimensional." After he tore up the league in 1995, I remember Ron Jaworski saying, "yeah, he's got one dimension, and that dimension is 'great.'"

But after Paup's great season the next 2 were pedestrian compared to that one especially with Bruce Smith and then the bIlls let him walk.  So I guess I don't know what the point your trying to make is.  He went from 17.5 to 6 to 9.5 to gone to JAX

• Like (+1) 1