Jump to content

If I were Houston, my strategy to rebuild


Cson76
 Share

Recommended Posts

If I am them, I'm calling Detroit.  Send Watson out of the AFC and get Stafford, pick 7 and 2022 1st.  I think this is fair value given Watson's skill and age.

 

Then I'm flipping Stafford and a 4th to Indy for Eason plus 2021 and 2022 firsts.  This gives Houston 5 first round picks in the next two years (plus what they get for Watt) Eason as a potential prospect they can start this year and if he isn't good a path to tank for the first overall pick.  

 

This seemed reasonable to me.  Curious if anyone things I'm completely off base

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cson76 said:

If I am them, I'm calling Detroit.  Send Watson out of the AFC and get Stafford, pick 7 and 2022 1st.  I think this is fair value given Watson's skill and age.

 

Then I'm flipping Stafford and a 4th to Indy for Eason plus 2021 and 2022 firsts.  This gives Houston 5 first round picks in the next two years (plus what they get for Watt) Eason as a potential prospect they can start this year and if he isn't good a path to tank for the first overall pick.  

 

This seemed reasonable to me.  Curious if anyone things I'm completely off base

 

Nice analysis. But if I am Indy, I am not giving up two firsts and a QB for Stafford.

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

By putting it out there that the Lions and Stafford are going to part ways, they decreased his value in a trade.

 

If I'm another team's GM I know he isn't going back there, so that reduced my offer. 

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

I’m not trading Watson. Period.

 

Same. Best case scenario you end up with a QB as good as Watson in a year or two. You're almost certainly not going to improve at QB, so why bother? 

 

Now, Watt is a different story. I would trade him to recoup some picks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Southern_Bills said:

After the coaching hires in Detroit and the fact Watson has a no trade clause, this is dead before the phone rings.

What, you don't think Watson's up for getting punched in the face then biting knee caps on the way back up?

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Watson to SF would be really interesting...

 

Pick 12 this year, and a 1st in the next 2 seasons, plus Jimmy G could get it done.

 

So it's 3 1sts, with one being #12 overall in 2021, and Jimmy G, who did just play in a Super Bowl. 

 

 

Watson would agree in a heartbeat. Do you think the 49ers are that turned off by Jimmy G though? His injuries have to be frustrating, I'm just curious if they would mortgage their future to upgrade him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

Watson wouldn’t agree to be traded to Detroit. 

That's the fatal flaw in the OP's scenario, along with the fact that I very much doubt Indy gives up two firsts for Matt Stafford.  If Indy wants Stafford, and I'm not sure they would, they can just make the trade with Detroit directly and I bet it only costs one first.

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Nobody is giving up a 1st for Stafford. Maybe a second. 

That may be true, but there are a lot of QB-needy teams this year and a team that thinks they are on the cusp, like Indy, might do it.  And Indy's first is pretty late in the round. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Southern_Bills said:

Watson would agree in a heartbeat. Do you think the 49ers are that turned off by Jimmy G though? His injuries have to be frustrating, I'm just curious if they would mortgage their future to upgrade him.

 

I could see it. Imagine Shanahan with a guy like Watson AND that running game and defense. They would still have picks in rounds 2+ every year as well. 

 

What a fun division that would be with Watson, Murray and Wilson. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Watson to SF would be really interesting...

 

Pick 12 this year, and a 1st in the next 2 seasons, plus Jimmy G could get it done.

 

So it's 3 1sts, with one being #12 overall in 2021, and Jimmy G, who did just play in a Super Bowl. 

 

 

If I'm Houston, I only do that trade if I really like Jimmy G, because those picks after this year are (1) in the future--obviously--and (2) likely to be very late in the first round.  I'd hold out for another young impact player, like Deebo Samuel. 

Edited by mannc
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, mannc said:

If I'm Houston, I only do that trade if I really like Jimmy G, because those picks after this year are (1) in the future--obviously--and (2) likely to be very late in the first round.  I'd hold out for another impact player, like Deebo Samuel. 

 

Now it's getting interesting....

 

SF gives: 3 1sts, Samuel and Jimmy G

Houston gives: Watson

 

I still do that deal if I'm SF. I can find another WR in round 2 or 3, or in FA. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Watson to SF would be really interesting...

 

Pick 12 this year, and a 1st in the next 2 seasons, plus Jimmy G could get it done.

 

So it's 3 1sts, with one being #12 overall in 2021, and Jimmy G, who did just play in a Super Bowl. 

 

 

 

I agree. I think IF and it is IF he ends up traded Miami and San Fran are the only two shows in town. And that is the kind of deal it would take. The only thing is Jimmy G has a no trade clause too.... so they would both need to agree. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...