If I were Houston, my strategy to rebuild

Cson76

55 minutes ago, Cson76 said:

If I am them, I'm calling Detroit.  Send Watson out of the AFC and get Stafford, pick 7 and 2022 1st.  I think this is fair value given Watson's skill and age.

Then I'm flipping Stafford and a 4th to Indy for Eason plus 2021 and 2022 firsts.  This gives Houston 5 first round picks in the next two years (plus what they get for Watt) Eason as a potential prospect they can start this year and if he isn't good a path to tank for the first overall pick.  

This seemed reasonable to me.  Curious if anyone things I'm completely off base

I don't think you can get two 1sts for Stafford, even one 1st is stretching it considering his age and recent injuries to his back etc. 

57 minutes ago, Cson76 said:

If I am them, I'm calling Detroit.  Send Watson out of the AFC and get Stafford, pick 7 and 2022 1st.  I think this is fair value given Watson's skill and age.

Then I'm flipping Stafford and a 4th to Indy for Eason plus 2021 and 2022 firsts.  This gives Houston 5 first round picks in the next two years (plus what they get for Watt) Eason as a potential prospect they can start this year and if he isn't good a path to tank for the first overall pick.  

I like where your head is at! Somewhere Sonny Weaver jr is smiling at you!

How much would you ask for to trade Josh Allen?

That's how much the Texans would need to give up Deshaun Watson. They are comparable players.

The only correct answer is: not tradeable. This is just a story made up by the Watson and his agents to get him more attention, money, and power within the Texans organization. The media ran with it because 20+ franchises are all dreaming of a player like him and it's fun to dream.

1 hour ago, Southern_Bills said:

After the coaching hires in Detroit and the fact Watson has a no trade clause, this is dead before the phone rings.

ah, I missed this part of the calculation

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Nobody is giving up a 1st for Stafford. Maybe a second. 

I had read somewhere (Chris Simms maybe?) that this would be expected compensation.

I hate to say it but the only landing spots for Watson are NYJ & Miami, with him probably preferring Miami since they're a lot closer than the Jets.  They're the only teams that have two #1s including a top 3 spot to draft Watson's replacement.  

Houston is only trading Watson if they have a high enough pick to draft his replacement.  The OP's trade would leave Houston in a spot where they wouldn't have a shot at a top 5 QB & worse, has them relying on a 4th rounder who didn't see the field in 2020 and has a good chance of being the next Jarrett Stidham.    

2 hours ago, Cson76 said:

Next thing you know, you'll be telling us you're going to coach the team!  A 'reverse BO'B'. 😁

2 hours ago, Cson76 said:

I thought Watson had trade restriction language in his K, and would need to agree to go to Detroit, which he likely wouldn't do.

The Miami connection became public b/c Watson's agent said up front that Watson would be willing to go to Miami.

At least that is how I understood the situation

Edited by Nextmanup