Biden Confronts The Economic Crisis

Tiberius

5 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Answer the questions 

Confidence has a GREAT role in the economy.  You're right. But where is this confidence coming from?  I'll tell you where.  The virus is going away do to it doing it's thing (herd immunity) and vaccines.  Who do you think gets some of the credit for the vaccines?  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

Confidence has a GREAT role in the economy.  You're right. But where is this confidence coming from?  I'll tell you where.  The virus is going away do to it doing it's thing (herd immunity) and vaccines.  Who do you think gets some of the credit for the vaccines?  

Why are you such a cry baby? 

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

So Obama inherited Bushes mess.  Trump inherited Obamas great economy and Biden created his own jobs growth.  Did I get that right?  You guys are ***** hilarious.  Now, you can redeem yourself if you can answer one simple questions.

What has Biden done specifically in the first two months of his administration that created these new jobs? 

The most important thing he did was before the election in defeating the Sanders/Warren wing of the party.  There's also a massive vaccination effort and the US is doing better than most European countries and you see the jobs/businesses impacted most by the pandemic coming back. I'll let you guys debate on what administration is more responsible for that.  Businesses not having to worry about trade wars also helps.  Education hiring boomed this month thanks in large part to the relief bill as districts know they're getting needed funding now.

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

The most important thing he did was before the election in defeating the Sanders/Warren wing of the party.  There's also a massive vaccination effort and the US is doing better than most European countries and you see the jobs/businesses impacted most by the pandemic coming back. I'll let you guys debate on what administration is more responsible for that.  Businesses not having to worry about trade wars also helps.  Education hiring boomed this month thanks in large part to the relief bill as districts know they're getting needed funding now.

An awful lot of conjecture there presented as fact. ;) Why I try to sprinkle in some "in my opinion" "my thoughts" "I think" in my posts.  I hate when that ***** comes back and bites me in the butt.  I think there is always plenty of responsibilities (positive and negative) to go around on both sides.  

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

An awful lot of conjecture there presented as fact. ;) Why I try to sprinkle in some "in my opinion" "my thoughts" "I think" in my posts.  I hate when that ***** comes back and bites me in the butt.  I think there is always plenty of responsibilities (positive and negative) to go around on both sides.  

That's a decent rebuttal in my opinion or whatever.

3 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

It's my thoughts and/or opinion  based on what I'm hearing from certain sources that are not 100% verified that I say "thank you" 

On the BBMB they had a signature section where I just included the disclaimer...

*All comments made are based on my opinion and my opinion alone and should not be taken seriously by anybody.

8 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

On the BBMB they had a signature section where I just included the disclaimer...

*All comments made are based on my opinion and my opinion alone and should not be taken seriously by anybody.

Good idea.  I like it.  👍🏻

15 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Oil companies know who butter their bread. Big oil can’t ruin the environment if the Democrats are in charge and that burns them. Price gouging and making the Dems look bad, those crooks love it. 

All the more more reason to push green energy and create eco crimes with severe penalties 

1 hour ago, BillStime said:

Ignorance is bliss!

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

Oil companies know who butter their bread. Big oil can’t ruin the environment if the Democrats are in charge and that burns them. Price gouging and making the Dems look bad, those crooks love it. 

All the more more reason to push green energy and create eco crimes with severe penalties 

Trump inherited a booming economy from Obama but the surge in the markets and the economy is all of Biden's doing.

Just making sure I've got the talking points right. 

34 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Trump inherited a booming economy from Obama but the surge in the markets and the economy is all of Biden's doing.

Just making sure I've got the talking points right. 

Yup.  And the vaccine was all because of Joey.

Record highs on Wall Street. So much for the right wing lies that with the Dems in charge it will kill the economy. 

Based on this (silly) metric how was the economy from 2017-2020?

16 hours ago, Backintheday544 said:

Dems win a major thing! Parliamentarian rules Dems can use reconciliation to pass 2 more bills this fiscal year.

that means infrastructure will be a done deal without Republicans:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/05/politics/senate-parliamentarian-democrats-amend-budget-resolution-infrastructure/index.html

Hooray for loopholes, I guess.  In a 2 party system, do you think that end-arounding one party entirely is a good thing?

ONLY ONE? Top Biden officials busted telling an enormous lie about ‘infrastructure’ plan:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/top-biden-officials-busted-telling-an-enormous-lie-about-infrastructure-plan

Wow! A whopping 19 million jobs created! Who could oppose that!?

There’s just one problem: This 19 million figure is based on a gross distortion of an economic report. The claim that Biden’s spending bonanza would create 19 million jobs has no basis in reality. The figure comes from Moody’s Analytics, a respected economic analysis firm, albeit one often very generous and favorable to big government spending plans. However, what the Moody’s report does is map out projections for several different scenarios.

In the scenario where Biden’s infrastructure proposal is passed, Moody’s projects that the economy will create 18.96 million jobs over a decade. Yet as Washington Post fact-checker Glenn Kessler aptly explained, that’s compared to a baseline projection of 16.3 million jobs being created without the infrastructure proposal. (But with the already-passed stimulus legislation).

So the real number of jobs Biden’s plan would create, according to this Moody’s report, is 2.7 million. That’s a far cry from the “19 million jobs created” in Biden’s initial telling. Indeed, the White House and Buttigieg have had to retract their objectively false claim publicly.

Oops.

I

Related: 

Biden’s Infrastructure Plan Isn’t About Infrastructure. It’s About Paying Off Political Allies. When everything’s infrastructure, nothing is.

https://reason.com/2021/04/07/bidens-infrastructure-plan-isnt-about-infrastructure-its-about-paying-off-political-allies/

7 minutes ago, B-Man said:

ONLY ONE? Top Biden officials busted telling an enormous lie about ‘infrastructure’ plan:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/top-biden-officials-busted-telling-an-enormous-lie-about-infrastructure-plan

There’s just one problem: This 19 million figure is based on a gross distortion of an economic report. The claim that Biden’s spending bonanza would create 19 million jobs has no basis in reality. The figure comes from Moody’s Analytics, a respected economic analysis firm, albeit one often very generous and favorable to big government spending plans. However, what the Moody’s report does is map out projections for several different scenarios.

In the scenario where Biden’s infrastructure proposal is passed, Moody’s projects that the economy will create 18.96 million jobs over a decade. Yet as Washington Post fact-checker Glenn Kessler aptly explained, that’s compared to a baseline projection of 16.3 million jobs being created without the infrastructure proposal. (But with the already-passed stimulus legislation).

So the real number of jobs Biden’s plan would create, according to this Moody’s report, is 2.7 million. That’s a far cry from the “19 million jobs created” in Biden’s initial telling. Indeed, the White House and Buttigieg have had to retract their objectively false claim publicly.

Oops.

I

Related: 

Biden’s Infrastructure Plan Isn’t About Infrastructure. It’s About Paying Off Political Allies. When everything’s infrastructure, nothing is.

https://reason.com/2021/04/07/bidens-infrastructure-plan-isnt-about-infrastructure-its-about-paying-off-political-allies/

I don't care if it creates 100,000,000,000 jobs. Once the roads and bridges are built then what?  Yes some of this bill creates permanent jobs but actual infrastructure jobs don't last forever.  My best friend from high school came to CA in 1980 and got a job stringing cable for cable TV. Once all the cable was strung he lost his job.  

24 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

Yea. Republicans did it. If anything this will force Republicans to try to compromise instead of just stonewalling.

Seriously?   Didn't you think it was a scumbag move when the Republicans did it at the time?  I did.  This is not how our government is supposed to work.  And it's not a compromise when one side doesn't give anything up.

2 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

Seriously?   Didn't you think it was a scumbag move when the Republicans did it at the time?  I did.  This is not how our government is supposed to work.  And it's not a compromise when one side doesn't give anything up.

I didn’t. It’s exactly how the government is supposed to work as the government specifically allows it in its rules.

Now the Republicans can try to compromise so reconciliation doesn’t need to be used. They’re in the spot where either they work with Dems or they get no input on the bill. That should give them motivation to work with Dems. That or they will say the infrastructure bill the Dems pass has death panels for your grandparents or some other lie to try and swap public opinion.

54 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Oops.

I

Related: 

I'm sure they're all "shovel-ready."  It worked so well last time...

1 hour ago, Backintheday544 said:

I didn’t. It’s exactly how the government is supposed to work as the government specifically allows it in its rules.

Now the Republicans can try to compromise so reconciliation doesn’t need to be used. They’re in the spot where either they work with Dems or they get no input on the bill. That should give them motivation to work with Dems. That or they will say the infrastructure bill the Dems pass has death panels for your grandparents or some other lie to try and swap public opinion.

Their choice is to accept everything the Dems put into the already massive "infrastructure" bill and maybe get a few scraps thrown in for their own states, or get absolutely nothing at all and be called obstructionist Nazis by the media.  The only thing they'd be compromising on here is their integrity, but I feel like you should know that.  There is no such think as compromise when one side holds all of the cards.  

Loophole through the anti-democracy measure? 

Good! 

WTF does this mean, Tibs? 

7 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

Their choice is to accept everything the Dems put into the already massive "infrastructure" bill and maybe get a few scraps thrown in for their own states, or get absolutely nothing at all and be called obstructionist Nazis by the media.  The only thing they'd be compromising on here is their integrity, but I feel like you should know that.  There is no such think as compromise when one side holds all of the cards.  

The filibuster is anti democratic. Gives the minority ability to stop the will of the people, which is already pretty prescribed by the Senates makeup overall. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

The filibuster is anti democratic. Gives the minority ability to stop the will of the people, which is already pretty prescribed by the Senates makeup overall. 

Anti-democratic, you say?  That's weird.  What famous politician once said that the Senate is where “you can always slow things down and make sure that a minority gets a voice”?

1 hour ago, Tenhigh said:

The Dems don’t though. Reconciliation can only be used for things that effect the budget. A bi- partisan bill could be more expansive and add laws that can’t be done through reconciliation.

14 hours ago, Backintheday544 said:

The Dems don’t though. Reconciliation can only be used for things that effect the budget. A bi- partisan bill could be more expansive and add laws that can’t be done through reconciliation.

What laws do you think could/should be added?  Its a spending bill.  And a 3 trillion opposition free bill is holding pretty much all of the cards here.

16 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Newsflash: this is NOT a democracy!

We’ve gone over this. 

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

Newsflash: this is NOT a democracy!

We’ve gone over this. 

We the people. I get, those who want to restrict voting rights want to make the excuse that we are only a republic, so voting is not a right. 

16 hours ago, Tiberius said:

The filibuster is very democratic.  It provides the minority a voice in all matters.  It encourages consensus and cooperation.  The alternative is a winner take all approach to government.  It should remain in place no matter which party controls the Senate.  A condition where 51% of the "majority" can dictate anything and everything to the 49% "minority" is not a "democracy".   You might think the idea of eliminating it is great right now because it suits your positions but if the tables turn then surely your perspective will too.  As the saying goes "where you stand depends on where you sit".

The filibuster has worked in the Senate for over 200 years and now that its inconvenient to the majority we need to eliminate it?  Yet Democrats used the process about 300 times last year.  But I suspect in 2020 the "minority" didn't think it was anti-democratic.  But now in 2021 with a 50-50 split in the Senate and the VP casting the tiebreaker its inconvenient.  I'm going to bookmark this topic and re-visit it in 2022 when the Dems lose that tiebreaker majority in the Senate and see how you feel about it about 21 months from now. 

3 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

The filibuster is very democratic.  It provides the minority a voice in all matters.  It encourages consensus and cooperation.  The alternative is a winner take all approach to government.  It should remain in place no matter which party controls the Senate.  A condition where 51% of the "majority" can dictate anything and everything to the 49% "minority" is not a "democracy".   You might think the idea of eliminating it is great right now because it suits your positions but if the tables turn then surely your perspective will too.  As the saying goes "where you stand depends on where you sit".

The filibuster has worked in the Senate for over 200 years and now that its inconvenient to the majority we need to eliminate it?  Yet Democrats used the process about 300 times last year.  But I suspect in 2020 the "minority" didn't think it was anti-democratic.  But now in 2021 with a 50-50 split in the Senate and the VP casting the tiebreaker its inconvenient.  I'm going to bookmark this topic and re-visit it in 2022 when the Dems lose that tiebreaker majority in the Senate and see how you feel about it about 21 months from now. 

No, it’s just obstructionist trash. 

I see Manchin just put an end to talk about getting rid of it. Oh well. There goes Biden’s entire agenda. GOP and Mitch can obstruct our nation from going forward. China cheers! 

32 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

We the people. I get, those who want to restrict voting rights want to make the excuse that we are only a republic, so voting is not a right. 

Voting is indeed both a right and a privilege but that has nothing to do with the structural nature of our government. You clearly don’t understand how the system is designed to work. I’m guessing you stayed home sick that day in civics class. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Tenhigh said:

What laws do you think could/should be added?  Its a spending bill.  And a 3 trillion opposition free bill is holding pretty much all of the cards here.

Off the top of my head environmental things like emission standards that are not budget related.