Biden Confronts The Economic Crisis

Tiberius

On 2/9/2021 at 12:47 PM, Tenhigh said:

No, and I don't think Tibs really knows what it involves either.  What he's referring to is the security law that China passed for Hong King last year.  Basically it give the Chinese government a greater ability to absorb Hong Kong into the mainland, as opposed to the 1 country 2 systems model that was being observed before.   BBC has a pretty good coverage:    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-52765838

The US unanimously did pass the Hong Kong Autonomy Act, which Trump signed, but it was largely ignored by the American press for reasons you'll have to infer on your own.

Maybe the President should have used his bully pulpit to bring attention to the issue, but I guess he would have to care about it to do that. No financial interest in it for himself, so its not important to him 

5 hours ago, Backintheday544 said:

GDP and budget are two different things. GDP looks at the actual dollars brought into the economy, budget for a city in your example looks at tax revenues and other revenues less expenses.

One area where blue states do not get a lot of help here is funding. You can see percent of states budget attributable to public funding here: https://www.moneygeek.com/living/states-most-reliant-federal-government/

9 of the top 10 states that get the most Federal dollars for their budgets are red. I’d imagine if you removed federal money from those states they would have large budgetary issues.

The graph also implicitly states the obvious, Democrats win cities. For example, Cook county is 1 county but will be a huge block on their since its Chicago whereas Wyoming County NY will be tiny. 

The other skew is California. If California said F off IS and because it’s own country, it would be the fifth largest country in terms of GDP as of 2019.

With CA in mind you may say the data is skewed due to population when looking at real numbers. However when you look at GDP per capital, the top of the list is mainly blue states and the bottom of the list is mainly red states (it’s Wikipedia but it’s an easy presentation and has the figures): https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_GDP_per_capita

But the fact the charts do point out is blue counties bring more GDP to the US than red counties. The link I provided above also shows red states require more Federal assistance.

Its not a crazy thing that Democrat policies lead to increased GDP, as we have seen this on the national side as well based on President:

blinder_taylor_fig1.png

I find it funny that you responded to my comment about liberal spending with a bunch of facts that do not relate to liberal spending. I also find it funny you had to go back 60 years to show Dems are better on economics. Kennedy and Truman are fiscally nothing like today's Dems so while the facts are true the reasons are not similar.

4 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Maybe the President should have used his bully pulpit to bring attention to the issue, but I guess he would have to care about it to do that. No financial interest in it for himself, so its not important to him 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/07/15/world/asia/china-trump-hong-kong.amp.html

it’s the times so maybe you’ll believe it, good god, educate yourself. There are plenty plenty of abhorrent things to point at, you don’t need to lie or be ignorant too. Demo’Q’rat equal and opposite to MAGA

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/07/15/world/asia/china-trump-hong-kong.amp.html

it’s the times so maybe you’ll believe it, good god, educate yourself. There are plenty plenty of abhorrent things to point at, you don’t need to lie or be ignorant too. 

Still went dark on his watch, and sure he did some rear guard stuff, but barely a peek from him. 

Just now, Tiberius said:

Still went dark on his watch, and sure he did some rear guard stuff, but barely a peek from him. 

Oh, and you are a Trump supporter calling someone ignorant, lol. That's funny! 

7 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Demo’Q’rat equal and opposite to MAGA

7 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I don’t support him in any way. I’m an anti liar. When I see frauds making things up I call them on it. 

you and your two party ignorance propaganda and lie ware ware are destroying my society. Sitting in your parents basement trading jabs of bs with your trumpie buddies. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I find it funny that you responded to my comment about liberal spending with a bunch of facts that do not relate to liberal spending. I also find it funny you had to go back 60 years to show Dems are better on economics. Kennedy and Truman are fiscally nothing like today's Dems so while the facts are true the reasons are not similar.

My original comment was about GDP. You brought up expenses. As I pointed out, GDP is not the same thing as a budget.

I find it funny that you ignored all the date from the past 3 years and point out a chart that I did not create but referenced to to highlight GDP growth based on party. You can ignore Truman and Kennedy if you wish, but those facts still hold true that the Dems after them have been able to rise GDP more than their Republican counter parts.

If you want to ignore the original premise of GDP and focus on spending, we can discuss that as well. But please try to keep on topic and coherent.

13 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Demo’Q’rat equal and opposite to MAGA

I don’t support him in any way. I’m an anti liar. When I see frauds making things up I call them on it. 

you and your two party ignorance propaganda and lie ware ware are destroying my society. Sitting in your parents basement trading jabs of bs with your trumpie buddies. 

Oh stop, you love Trump. You just did defend him. You guys just have no honesty. No integrity. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Oh stop, you love Trump. You just did defend him. You guys just have no honesty. No integrity. 

I don’t need to love or hate someone to call out a liar. You’re a typical Trumper / never Trumper so blinded by your internal narratives facts aren’t relevant. I defend facts, not you your party or any other. You’re part of the problem. Idiots like you paved the road to that vile pos getting elected

🐑

stop destroying my kids future with your intolerance 

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I don’t need to love someone to call out a liar. You’re a typical Trumper / never Trumper so blinded by your internal narratives facts aren’t relevant. I defend facts, not you your party or any other. You’re part of the problem. Idiots like you paved the road to that vile pos getting elected

🐑

Oh, Trump is a complete POS. I think any decent person could see that. Did you get a degree from Trump University? Would you? 

Get my point there?

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

There was a pretty large international outcry, led by the US.  Beyond sanctions, though, I'm not sure what else could have been done short of a military engagement.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responses_to_the_2020_Chinese_involvement_with_Hong_Kong_national_security_law

China seemed pretty angry about it:

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/15/891291258/china-threatens-response-after-u-s-sanctions-over-crackdown-on-hong-kong

We didn't hear a ton about it in the news, because all America cared about last summer was COVID, police brutality and riots/looting.  

And for the record, I agree with you on Trump as a person, he's a POS.  But conversing with someone who refuses to discuss anything related to him or the Republican party in any semblance of a rational manner is just not enjoyable for me.  Its the absolutes of I'm right and you're wrong that are tearing this country apart.   

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

There was a pretty large international outcry, led by the US.  Beyond sanctions, though, I'm not sure what else could have been done short of a military engagement.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responses_to_the_2020_Chinese_involvement_with_Hong_Kong_national_security_law

China seemed pretty angry about it:

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/15/891291258/china-threatens-response-after-u-s-sanctions-over-crackdown-on-hong-kong

We didn't hear a ton about it in the news, because all America cared about last summer was COVID, police brutality and riots/looting.  

And for the record, I agree with you on Trump as a person, he's a POS.  But conversing with someone who refuses to discuss anything related to him or the Republican party in any semblance of a rational manner is just not enjoyable for me.  Its the absolutes of I'm right and you're wrong that are tearing this country apart.   

Glad you agree Trump is a POS. Worst president in history of USA, that's for sure. 

What could have been done could have been Trump speaking out for democracy. You are not claiming he supports that or human rights around the world, are you? 

The guy is obviously oblivious to human rights abuses (See Saudi Arabia killing journalist, Russia murdering people around the world and attacking democracies and Trump alienating our democratic allies) He is a threat to democracy, pure and simple 

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

Glad you agree Trump is a POS. Worst president in history of USA, that's for sure. 

What could have been done could have been Trump speaking out for democracy. You are not claiming he supports that or human rights around the world, are you? 

The guy is obviously oblivious to human rights abuses (See Saudi Arabia killing journalist, Russia murdering people around the world and attacking democracies and Trump alienating our democratic allies) He is a threat to democracy, pure and simple 

Well, you can listen to the press conference here:

CNN

If it helps, you can chalk it up to Trump trying to deflect away from the bad job he was doing with the COVID/riots.  

• Haha (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

Well, you can listen to the press conference here:

CNN

If it helps, you can chalk it up to Trump trying to deflect away from the bad job he was doing with the COVID/riots.  

Oh please, did he put more energy into that or trying to undermine American democracy? 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Backintheday544 said:

My original comment was about GDP. You brought up expenses. As I pointed out, GDP is not the same thing as a budget.

I find it funny that you ignored all the date from the past 3 years and point out a chart that I did not create but referenced to to highlight GDP growth based on party. You can ignore Truman and Kennedy if you wish, but those facts still hold true that the Dems after them have been able to rise GDP more than their Republican counter parts.

If you want to ignore the original premise of GDP and focus on spending, we can discuss that as well. But please try to keep on topic and coherent.

I conceded your point up front, I was making a different but related point. I know you can't respond because you just spent two long comments avoiding discussion.

54 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I conceded your point up front, I was making a different but related point. I know you can't respond because you just spent two long comments avoiding discussion.

And one of the great ways to reign in spending is to cut costs to cops. You bring up LA for example, $3.1 billion of the budget is for the police force. That’s 29.93 percent of the entire budget. Dems saying defund the police were just trying to fix the problem that you’re talking about.

In addition, you make it sound like a Democrat only problem. Spending is an issue on both sides. Both sides have spending problems.

If you want to argue which sides economic policies are more sound, I’ll go with the Democrats every day of the week. Interestingly enough, we got to see what a full on GOP economy would look like in Kansas with the Kansas experiment and it nearly bankrupted the state. For a quick read on it here’s the wiki: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_experiment but it’s really interesting so I suggest you pursue further reading then that quick summary.

With Kansas we see the devastating impact of trickle down economics and its impact on the middle class. On the flip side, we don’t see that with deficit spending. There’s even thought among economists that deficit spending isn’t terrible: https://www.reuters.com/article/sponsored/is-a-debt-doomsday-near

Back to the original point of my post. If our GDP increases like it does with Democratic leaders, we have the ability to spend more as we generate larger tax revenues based on GDP.

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

The election was stolen! Help me steal the election! @Tenhigh 

Fascist eat sh it 

This isn't how reasonable people act, Tibs.  You are so f@#$ing blinded by hate that you accuse anyone that disagrees with you of being a fascist, and tell them to eat shi t.  Ironically, I agree with you that Trump lost the election fair and square, so what does that make me? What does it tell you about yourself?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Backintheday544 said:

And one of the great ways to reign in spending is to cut costs to cops. You bring up LA for example, $3.1 billion of the budget is for the police force. That’s 29.93 percent of the entire budget. Dems saying defund the police were just trying to fix the problem that you’re talking about.

In addition, you make it sound like a Democrat only problem. Spending is an issue on both sides. Both sides have spending problems.

If you want to argue which sides economic policies are more sound, I’ll go with the Democrats every day of the week. Interestingly enough, we got to see what a full on GOP economy would look like in Kansas with the Kansas experiment and it nearly bankrupted the state. For a quick read on it here’s the wiki: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_experiment but it’s really interesting so I suggest you pursue further reading then that quick summary.

With Kansas we see the devastating impact of trickle down economics and its impact on the middle class. On the flip side, we don’t see that with deficit spending. There’s even thought among economists that deficit spending isn’t terrible: https://www.reuters.com/article/sponsored/is-a-debt-doomsday-near

Back to the original point of my post. If our GDP increases like it does with Democratic leaders, we have the ability to spend more as we generate larger tax revenues based on GDP.

Kansas missed what Florida, Texas, Idaho, Tennessee are doing well. It is not enough to simply cut taxes, you must provide value on the dollar. Brownback missed the fact that no one wants to move to Kansas. Now let us discuss all the states that are hemorrhaging money right now who are all deep blue. Cali, NY, NJ, IL are all in financial peril like Kansas was and very few red states are. I am not a proponent of cutting taxes when they are needed, government does have it's place but it should have to justify it's spending. Lastly you are correct that both parties have spending problems but the Dems right now are much worse.( I feel like I am defending a person who drinks one bottle of whiskey a night vs someone who drinks two)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Tenhigh said:

This isn't how reasonable people act, Tibs.  You are so f@#$ing blinded by hate that you accuse anyone that disagrees with you of being a fascist, and tell them to eat shi t.  Ironically, I agree with you that Trump lost the election fair and square, so what does that make me? What does it tell you about yourself?

It has always fascinated me that the liberals were unable to realize that they had enough ammunition with the actual bad stuff that they didn’t need to smear, lie about and spin the occasional good or correct thing that was done. Every single administration in history ever did a few things right, even if they did most of it wrong. But the worst ism seems to percolate on both sides ... absolutism. 

it was the same with Obama. Republicans had to vilify everything the guy did, even the things that somewhat aligned with their own ideals. 

I truly admire your levity @Tenhigh

if there were more like you here it might actually be a good place to engage in conversation with some smart open minded folks and learn things. 

10 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

It has always fascinated me that the liberals were unable to realize that they had enough ammunition with the actual bad stuff that they didn’t need to smear, lie about and spin the occasional good or correct thing that was done. Every single administration in history ever did a few things right, even if they did most of it wrong. But the worst ism seems to percolate on both sides ... absolutism. 

it was the same with Obama. Republicans had to vilify everything the guy did, even the things that somewhat aligned with their own ideals. 

I truly admire your levity @Tenhigh

if there were more like you here it might actually be a good place to engage in conversation with some smart open minded folks and learn things. 

Good luck with that. All discussion on this board ended on Election Day. It's now just pure hatred, and juvenile name calling. As they say, if this how people act when they WIN the game, can you imagine what will happen the next time they lose?

• Sad 1

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

Good luck with that. All discussion on this board ended on Election Day. It's now just pure hatred, and juvenile name calling. As they say, if this how people act when they WIN the game, can you imagine what will happen the next time they lose?

I’ve actually been disappointed.  I never spent much time over here in the past as a long time TBDer but the Bills leave an intellectual void and the occasional mention of here intrigued me. I’m surprised by is the dearth of intelligent liberal advocates and conversation. The Republicans here seem much more pragmatic aside from the occasional ‘baby killer’ shot. 

don’t really see any foaming mouth trump dudes, but it sounds like they might have driven them out. 

I wish there was just a ground rule admission that there are differences of opinions on things, and that’s ok. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I’ve actually been disappointed.  I never spent much time over here in the past as a long time TBDer but the Bills leave an intellectual void and the occasional mention of here intrigued me. I’m surprised by is the dearth of intelligent liberal advocates and conversation. The Republicans here seem much more pragmatic aside from the occasional ‘baby killer’ shot. 

don’t really see any foaming mouth trump dudes, but it sounds like they might have driven them out. 

I wish there was just a ground rule admission that there are differences of opinions on things, and that’s ok. 

The Anti-Trump crowd went full scorched earth, and that drove the Trump supporters to another site. I've stuck around hoping to engage in some debate from time to time, but it's been a grind. I'll keep chipping away it because living in California I know that one party rule is a horrible thing.  You need both sides to sharpen the debate, and work together to forge a more perfect Union.  Unfortunately....

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The Anti-Trump crowd went full scorched earth, and that drove the Trump supporters to another site. I've stuck around hoping to engage in some debate from time to time, but it's been a grind. I'll keep chipping away it because living in California I know that one party rule is a horrible thing.  You need both sides to sharpen the debate, and work together to forge a more perfect Union.  Unfortunately....

Your a good one SoCal. Balance of power is imperative in this lousy two party system.

While many are trying to categorically dismiss the other half of the country, it’s a fact they exist and have ideas and opinions based on their own virtues even if you I or anyone else don’t agree with them. 

politics has evolved into a religious belief as opposed to a critical reluctant choice. 

the problem with the extremists and blind loyalists is they don’t realize the same brainwashing they accuse their foes of has happened to them in an equal and opposite way. If the middle could ever unite and drive pragmatic compromise, this country would probably be in for a far brighter future. 

the political system as is, it’s just a corrupt battle for power underpinned by wealth, political elites and manipulative partisan mass media outlets.

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.yahoo.com/news/biden-stimulus-gamble-massive-cuts-070155957.html

Biden’s stimulus gamble: Massive cuts to Medicare, farm aid

Yea that will work, less food and kill off the old and sickly, right on.

All for a tiny amount of stimulus money that will only make walmart fatter,

that they keep dangling on a stick to the sheeple.

Fools leading fools.

But yea orange man still really, really bad.

Edited by Unforgiven
  • Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Your a good one SoCal. Balance of power is imperative in this lousy two party system.

While many are trying to categorically dismiss the other half of the country, it’s a fact they exist and have ideas and opinions based on their own virtues even if you I or anyone else don’t agree with them. 

politics has evolved into a religious belief as opposed to a critical reluctant choice. 

the problem with the extremists and blind loyalists is they don’t realize the same brainwashing they accuse their foes of has happened to them in an equal and opposite way. If the middle could ever unite and drive pragmatic compromise, this country would probably be in for a far brighter future. 

the political system as is, it’s just a corrupt battle for power underpinned by wealth, political elites and manipulative partisan mass media outlets.

You are of course correct, but what I couldn’t get my head around was how, for the last four years, apparently half of the country was 100% opposed to an agenda which at its core was against foreign wars, and committed to getting Americans working again. 

10 hours ago, Unforgiven said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/biden-stimulus-gamble-massive-cuts-070155957.html

Biden’s stimulus gamble: Massive cuts to Medicare, farm aid

Yea that will work, less food and kill off the old and sickly, right on.

All for a tiny amount of stimulus money that will only make walmart fatter,

that they keep dangling on a stick to the sheeple.

Fools leading fools.

But yea orange man still really, really bad.

From the same article.  This has me scared a tad....  I have faith there's at least 10 Republicans who would do the right thing if it came to that....

“Although Democrats swooped in to protect Medicare and other programs from significant cuts after Republicans used reconciliation to pass tax cuts for the wealthy, we need to be realistic that Republicans are less likely to do the same for us,” said one House Democratic aide, who asked to remain on background in order to candidly discuss the concerns.

“Are we really going to find 10 Senate Republicans to prevent these cuts after they’ve found Jesus again on the national debt? Let’s be real,” the aide said in a statement. “There’s a good chance they will allow these cuts to happen and paint Democrats as the ones who are responsible since we have total power in Congress and the White House.”

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

From the same article.  This has me scared a tad....  I have faith there's at least 10 Republicans who would do the right thing if it came to that....

“Although Democrats swooped in to protect Medicare and other programs from significant cuts after Republicans used reconciliation to pass tax cuts for the wealthy, we need to be realistic that Republicans are less likely to do the same for us,” said one House Democratic aide, who asked to remain on background in order to candidly discuss the concerns.

“Are we really going to find 10 Senate Republicans to prevent these cuts after they’ve found Jesus again on the national debt? Let’s be real,” the aide said in a statement. “There’s a good chance they will allow these cuts to happen and paint Democrats as the ones who are responsible since we have total power in Congress and the White House.”

I don’t think he read the article. It’s basically saying this is a normal thing that gets done and the Democrats did it for the Republicans but now that the Republicans are the minority party who knows what they will do because they pick party over country.

9 hours ago, Backintheday544 said:

I don’t think he read the article. It’s basically saying this is a normal thing that gets done and the Democrats did it for the Republicans but now that the Republicans are the minority party who knows what they will do because they pick party over country.

I'm not surprised with that poster.  I'm not really worried though because the headline "Republicans refuse to work on bill that will prevent cuts in medicare and farm aid" won't play well even with Republican voters.

Six weeks in and Joe is on a roll:

Oil prices day he was elected-$37.66 (Nasdaq)

Oil prices today-$63.53 (Nasdaq)

.....and now he is bombing Syria.

This is all good for U.S. economic energy costs.

giphy.gif

Edited by I am the egg man

13 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

giphy.gif

Yeah but DJT... don’t talk to me about now. Come look in this awful rear view mirror...

am I doing this correctly ?

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...

‘Hold onto your wallets’! Hope you enjoyed your economic stimulus, because Joe Biden is reportedly ‘planning first major tax hike in almost 30 years’

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2021/03/15/hold-onto-your-wallets-hope-you-enjoyed-your-economic-stimulus-because-joe-biden-is-reportedly-planning-first-major-tax-hike-in-almost-30-years/

Don't worry folks,

it will only effect the top 1%

whistling.gif

On 2/25/2021 at 11:42 PM, I am the egg man said:

giphy.gif

All the more reason to go green! 

Why do Trump's people want us to send our money to Putin and Saudi Arabia, anyway? 

On 2/26/2021 at 12:57 PM, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Yeah but DJT... don’t talk to me about now. Come look in this awful rear view mirror...

am I doing this correctly ?

What? 

8 minutes ago, B-Man said:

‘Hold onto your wallets’! Hope you enjoyed your economic stimulus, because Joe Biden is reportedly ‘planning first major tax hike in almost 30 years’

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2021/03/15/hold-onto-your-wallets-hope-you-enjoyed-your-economic-stimulus-because-joe-biden-is-reportedly-planning-first-major-tax-hike-in-almost-30-years/

Don't worry folks,

it will only effect the top 1%

whistling.gif

Probably be very popular, too. Better ramp of the voter suppression measures. 

• Like (+1) 1