Shout-out to the Player's Families: article on the stresses they're dealing with

https://www.nfl.com/news/covid-19-season-taking-heavy-toll-on-nfl-players-significant-others-it-s-changed

"It's changed our lives completely," said Nikki Jordan, wife of New Orleans Saints defensive end Cameron Jordan. "Not only are the guys accountable for what they do off the field -- we're held accountable, as well, because they can always catch it from us. So we've got to limit our risk of how we can catch COVID so that our husbands and their teammates and coaches are safe."

In conversations with several NFL player wives for this story, the psychological strain could be heard in their voices. There were deep inhales and long exhales. Little things they might have taken for granted in the past, like having time to read a book for leisure, or going to the bathroom alone, have been replaced by the constant call of toddlers and infants as they have become fulltime teachers and babysitters. There no longer are nannies or sitters entering their homes because that potentially could expose them to someone carrying the virus, which could then be transferred to their spouses. That exact scenario infected nine members of Andrew Whitworth's family last summer, including the Los Angeles Rams left tackle himself.

So, players' wives have taken on roles that were once filled by others. But in helping their kids and husbands with what they require, the women's needs are oftentimes ignored.

For Nikki Jordan, a former professional basketball player, that has meant no more morning trips to the gym, where she regularly cleared her mind. Her three oldest children, ages 5 and younger, are being home-schooled, so her time is theirs, from the moment they awake at 6 or 6:30 until the time they are put down for the night. Just hearing a breakdown of her days leaves a listener exhausted. And that was before she gave birth to the couple's fourth child on Sunday, two hours after the Saints' 32-29 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs.

Read the article - it's not a pity-party, just a due acknowledgement (IMO) that in many cases, the player's families are also sacrificing to help the teams and the NFL get on with the season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, White Linen said:

No different stresses than the rest of us. 

well, I dunno about that.  Most of us don’t have significant others for whom it would be all over (sports) news if they contracted COVID, and potentially affect an NFL team’s playoff push.

9 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

well, I dunno about that.  Most of us don’t have significant others for whom it would be all over (sports) news if they contracted COVID, and potentially affect an NFL team’s playoff push.

You have a very valid point, but football is small in comparison to real life. What I’m saying comes from the prospective of a younger person, but I feel like I have as much responsibility as any football player. Infecting parents or grandparents could be far more damaging then ruining your team’s  playoff hopes. Some people also work in environments where contracting Covid could lead to many deaths of others. That stuff is far bigger than an NFL player worried about ruining the season imo. I hate to get too serious because I understand it’s tough for everyone, and these players don’t want to test positive either. I guess what I’m saying is that my sympathy level for the stress they face is close to zero.

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

True but at least their spouses business is open and they can earn money.  There's so many people around my wife and I that have lost their jobs and are legit hurting.  Some have lost their businesses and now keeping their homes are in jeopardy.  My point is the struggle is real for everyone even with different circumstances surrounding dealing with this virus.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Packers allowed families and staff to attend game.

All teams should allow families to attend games, appropriately spaced, even if fans cannot attend.

Yeah, I don’t see why that shouldn’t happen. I would be curious to know what type of rules are in place for family at games though. Keeping them spaced to watch the game wouldn’t be a big deal, but I’m sure there’d be some type of restrictions to congregating with other families before and after the game. I could see that as a potential concern. 

17 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Packers allowed families and staff to attend game.

All teams should allow families to attend games, appropriately spaced, even if fans cannot attend.

Agreed completely.  I have a hard time feeling for people when I know so many hurting terribly over this virus.  As mentioned above, people losing homes, their small businesses, politicians making this crap political when I have friends who could use the stimulus.  I can’t believe I’m even saying it, as I’ve never been one to want the govt to take care of people, but this is an exception.  I know so many who are not lazy, or not working hard at making ends meet, but the I have to parent, I’m isolated, I could be in the media, ok.  How about so many others who are really suffering.

Its just a bad time for most.  NFL spouse are very very low on my list.

Just now, machine gun kelly said:

Agreed completely.  I have a hard time feeling for people when I know so many hurting terribly over this virus.  As mentioned above, people losing homes, their small businesses, politicians making this crap political when I have friends who could use the stimulus.  I can’t believe I’m even saying it, as I’ve never been one to want the govt to take care of people, but this is an exception.  I know so many who are not lazy, or not working hard at making ends meet, but the I have to parent, I’m isolated, I could be in the media, ok.  How about so many others who are really suffering.

Its just a bad time for most.  NFL spouse are very very low on my list.

Lime is absolutely 100% correct though, let the families using all CDC protocols take their families to games.  How difficult is it to let a couple hundred people as a family affair enjoy seeing their husbands play with maybe their parents, siblings etc.  The teams could help too to make it enjoyable and a thank you for what sacrifices those families make.  Well written Lime.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Rachel Bush seems to be enjoying herself 😊

When your that hot just waking up and looking into the mirror is the start of a great day. She is so hot that I would quit golf, bowling, softball, drinking and gambling. She would make me into the best version of myself just like McD does for the Bills.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/covid-19-season-taking-heavy-toll-on-nfl-players-significant-others-it-s-changed

"It's changed our lives completely," said Nikki Jordan, wife of New Orleans Saints defensive end Cameron Jordan. "Not only are the guys accountable for what they do off the field -- we're held accountable, as well, because they can always catch it from us. So we've got to limit our risk of how we can catch COVID so that our husbands and their teammates and coaches are safe."

In conversations with several NFL player wives for this story, the psychological strain could be heard in their voices. There were deep inhales and long exhales. Little things they might have taken for granted in the past, like having time to read a book for leisure, or going to the bathroom alone, have been replaced by the constant call of toddlers and infants as they have become fulltime teachers and babysitters. There no longer are nannies or sitters entering their homes because that potentially could expose them to someone carrying the virus, which could then be transferred to their spouses. That exact scenario infected nine members of Andrew Whitworth's family last summer, including the Los Angeles Rams left tackle himself.

So, players' wives have taken on roles that were once filled by others. But in helping their kids and husbands with what they require, the women's needs are oftentimes ignored.

For Nikki Jordan, a former professional basketball player, that has meant no more morning trips to the gym, where she regularly cleared her mind. Her three oldest children, ages 5 and younger, are being home-schooled, so her time is theirs, from the moment they awake at 6 or 6:30 until the time they are put down for the night. Just hearing a breakdown of her days leaves a listener exhausted. And that was before she gave birth to the couple's fourth child on Sunday, two hours after the Saints' 32-29 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs.

Read the article - it's not a pity-party, just a due acknowledgement (IMO) that in many cases, the player's families are also sacrificing to help the teams and the NFL get on with the season.

I don't see how this is any different than any other family who is being diligent, responsible and following CDC guidelines.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I'll say the hardest thing I think I've had to deal with during this year is getting my kids to do their school work at home.  

Absolutely. I have 15 and 13 year old boys. What do you think they are going to choose to do in this day and age? Online gaming, YouTube, or be doing their class work while stuck in a house they've been in for 10 months? I am a single parent and have been for the last 10 years. I have my own responsibilities that keep a roof over our heads, food on our table, lights on, and things for all of us to be entertained. When they are at home, while I am at work, I don't have the time to micromanage their lives. I tell them what they should be doing, but after reaching a certain point I have left it at that. I'm not going to punish them by taking away anything that gives them any resemblance of normal human interaction right now in the hopes that it gives them the incentive to treat this "Online Learning" like they would being in a classroom. I'm also not going to stress about it. I did that for 8 months and reached my breaking point after attending a local school board meeting back in November. I've told the teachers this, the principals, the guidance counselors, and those members of the school board. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I’m not trying to be a Richard here OP but I have two questions.  First, with everything else happening in the news Bills related today (fans allowed, Stills sighting) why does a story about wives of players having to look after their own children (the horror!) merit a thread?  Second, I’ve seen you 86 threads for veering into COVID discussions previously, yet you post an article and start a thread where that is literally the entire topic of discussion. Following the guidelines you posed in the sticky topic this thread should be D.O.A. as it does not contribute in the least to QUALITY FOOTBALL discussion.

Life has changed for everyone on earth, those with hundreds of thousands or millions in the bank have encountered much less life altering changes than the average person trying to keep food on their table, a roof over their head, or their business open.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

And how is this different than what everyone else is going through to not infect their family members? Sounds a lot like whiny rich people...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2