The defensive turnaround!!! Top ten unit again?

Stank_Nasty

So i think its pretty clear the coaches have been more aggressive, the D-Line has gelled and Milano coming back has made an impact. These numbers back that up!

Our Defense is now:

10th in yards allowed per game!

14th in points allowed

13th in Sacks

8th in Passer rating allowed

5th in turnovers

17th in 3rd down %...... They were 31st back in mid-october....

IMO this all comes from new players finally finding their groove, a good stretch of health, and the coaches finally trusting these guys enough to unleash them. The run D still leaves something to be desired but I would argue that this unit has been playing top ten caliber ball for over a month now.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Stank_Nasty said:

So i think its pretty clear the coaches have been more aggressive, the D-Line has gelled and Milano coming back has made an impact. These numbers back that up!

Our Defense is now:

14th in points allowed

13th in Sacks

5th in turnovers

IMO this all comes from new players finally finding their groove, a good stretch of health, and the coaches finally trusting these guys to unleash them. The run D still leaves something to be desired but I would argue that this unit has been playing top ten caliber for over a month now.

Top 10 for sure.  

They just keep working and coming together as a unit.  And, as you said, Milano came back.  If anyone had any questions about how good he is (I used to have questions), he answered them last night.  

With Milano, Edmunds and Poyer on the field, the Bills play defense like they have three linebackers and seven defensive backs on the field, plus four down linemen.   Do the math.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's definitely good to see...it was probably a combination of lack of an offseason and injuries earlier in the season, and now with guys getting healthy and spending more time together, its starting to gel...you could also say a factor is the level of competition, but we've faced some really good teams the second half of the season and rose to the occasion.

Still a little concerned about the mistakes with the run D, but I like that they seem to be able to adjust and respond well after the first 1-2 drives by the other team.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Our Defense is now:

14th in points allowed

13th in Sacks

5th in turnovers

IMO this all comes from new players finally finding their groove, a good stretch of health, and the coaches finally trusting these guys to unleash them. The run D still leaves something to be desired but I would argue that this unit has been playing top ten caliber for over a month now.

Stank, I hate to go down this road again, but I have been expressing this since last year...the above correlates quite a bit with the return to form of Matt Milano.  

I know he is often injured.  I just don't want him to go.

They needed to make it work in signing him (even short term) and Williams.  I would maybe like to hold off on signing Allen for just one more year, because they don't have to right now.  

If they can make it work by signing him long term, then fine.  Give Milano a 1 year really good prove it deal.  

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Our Defense is now:

Helps to play a QB that is mad at the turf.

2 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Stank, I hate to go down this road again, but I have been expressing this since last year...the above correlates quite a bit with the return to form of Matt Milano.  

I know he is often injured.  I just don't want him to go.

They needed to make it work in singing him (even short term) and Williams.  I would maybe like to hold off on signing Allen for just one more year, because they don't have to right now.  

If they can make it work by signing him long term, then fine.  Give Milano a 1 year really good prove it deal.  

i'm with you man.... his value to the D is LARGE... 

The problem is I've seen 3 different FA rankings lists for this offseason and all 3 had him as the TOP off the ball LB and top 20 available player. He's gonna have options and he's gonna have big offers.

• Like (+1) 1

We've seen this story before. They typically start slow to begin the year and then clamp down as the year goes on. This year with no preseason game and all the new faces in the front four proved to be a challenge. Throw in the injuries to Edmunds, Milano, and Tre (Back) to start the year and it all makes sense why it's staring to come together now- reps plus health

Go Bills

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

The problem is I've seen 3 different FA rankings lists for this offseason and all 3 had him as the TOP off the ball LB and top 20 available player. He's gonna have options and he's gonna have big offers.

Not "thumbs up" per se, but you know what I mean...ugh.  

37 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

You know, too, when Conlan and Wilford left things started to deflate.  Not badly, as they still made it to two more SBs at the time, I believe, but it just upset the commestry.  Throw Odomes and House leaving , as well, eventually.

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Our Defense is now:

14th in points allowed

13th in Sacks

5th in turnovers

IMO this all comes from new players finally finding their groove, a good stretch of health, and the coaches finally trusting these guys enough to unleash them. The run D still leaves something to be desired but I would argue that this unit has been playing top ten caliber ball for over a month now.

no theyve played poor Qbs...... tale of two halves of the season. lock, cam, mullens, darnold, lets just wait for the playoffs

17 minutes ago, balln said:

no theyve played poor Qbs...... tale of two halves of the season. lock, cam, mullens, darnold, lets just wait for the playoffs

LOL. i see you conveniently left out Wilson, Herbert, and Big Ben all top qb's this year that we totally manhandled in this 2nd half.

you arent fooling anyone man. stop it.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

LOL. i see you conveniently left out Wilson, Herbert, and Big Ben all top qb's this year that we totally manhandled. 

you arent fooling anyone man. stop it.

Murray too. 

But if you ignore the good Quarterbacks we have played against we have only played against bad Quarterbacks. #logic

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4