The defensive turnaround!!! Top ten unit again?

Stank_Nasty

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

LOL. i see you conveniently left out Wilson, Herbert, and Big Ben all top qb's this year that we totally manhandled. 

you arent fooling anyone man. stop it.

gave up a ton of yards and points against wilson BUT D did get turnovers

Until the pic 6 , PIT looked like a game

Herbert is rookie

im just not all about rose colored glasses. its a 16 game season. This D was BAD its now "good"? no 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Murray too. 

But if you ignore the good Quarterbacks we have played against we have only played against bad Quarterbacks. #logic

murray and their RB ran it all over us/ and murray made D ends and LB looks silly in red zone 2 tds..... im not leaving out anyone. pick your timpoint in the season. can see it anyway you want. im excited to see what they will do in playoffs. 

2 minutes ago, balln said:

gave up a ton of yards and points against wilson BUT D did get turnovers

Until the pic 6 , PIT looked like a game

Herbert is rookie

im just not all about rose colored glasses. its a 16 game season. This D was BAD its now "good"? no 

the d has been completely different since the jets game. if you cant see it that says way more about you than anything else. 

look at you just trying to explain away any solid performance against good qb's. this is foolishness.

i mean..... "until the pic 6, pitt looked like a game"?? whats does that even mean? it was the 2nd freaking quarter. they had scored all of 7 points. what exactly are you getting at there? good lord dude.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

6 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

the d has been completely different since the jets game. if you cant see it that says way more about you than anything else. 

look at you just trying to explain away any solid performance against good qb's. this is foolishness.

i mean..... "until the pic 6, pitt looked like a game"?? whats does that even mean? it was the 2nd freaking quarter. they had scored all of 7 points. what exactly are you getting at there? good lord dude.

Don’t ride him too hard. We all know crack is whack. However, forcing someone into a 12 step program against their will dramatically reduces the possibility of success. 

• Haha (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

they def look better. ill wait to see what they do against top Qbs in playoff football

On 12/29/2020 at 12:53 PM, balln said:

no theyve played poor Qbs...... tale of two halves of the season. lock, cam, mullens, darnold, lets just wait for the playoffs

Here's a nugget from Fairburns "10 final thoughts" before the finale. And just to clear it up DVOA puts strength of schedule into the equation. 

3. If you’re looking for a stat to illustrate the Bills’ defensive turnaround, here it is: From Week 1 through Week 6, the Bills ranked 30th in defensive DVOA, according to Football Outsiders. From Week 7 through Week 16, the Bills rank sixth in defensive DVOA. The nine points the Bills allowed to the Patriots was a season low for Buffalo. This defense is a strength again.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Here's a nugget from Fairburns "10 final thoughts" before the finale. And just to clear it up DVOA puts strength of schedule into the equation. 

3. If you’re looking for a stat to illustrate the Bills’ defensive turnaround, here it is: From Week 1 through Week 6, the Bills ranked 30th in defensive DVOA, according to Football Outsiders. From Week 7 through Week 16, the Bills rank sixth in defensive DVOA. The nine points the Bills allowed to the Patriots was a season low for Buffalo. This defense is a strength again.

I saw a video recently where Marcellus Wiley brought up the stat that, since week 12, the Bills are the number 1 offense in the league in terms of yards and the number 3 defense! As if the eye test wasn’t evidence enough, the Bills are the hottest team in the NFL at the most crucial time of the season!!

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/29/2020 at 11:31 AM, dollars 2 donuts said:

Stank, I hate to go down this road again, but I have been expressing this since last year...the above correlates quite a bit with the return to form of Matt Milano.  

I know he is often injured.  I just don't want him to go.

They needed to make it work in signing him (even short term) and Williams.  I would maybe like to hold off on signing Allen for just one more year, because they don't have to right now.  

If they can make it work by signing him long term, then fine.  Give Milano a 1 year really good prove it deal.  

Karlos Donuts?  You just missed him at the buffet line. 🦥. Just kidding, I know you meant Darryl.  I’ve been beating that drum all year, and so many people keep contending, “he’s just another guy”, amd then the same people say wow what happened in a positive way to our defense.  I’ve already mapped out twice he’s not injured as much as many household names around the league, guys that have gone on IR for a year.

If they get their wish, and I know the people who’ve said this over and over again, say there is something wrong with our defense next year, I will be bringing up their old posts back to light.  He means more to the team than many see.

Our defense with Nasty’s very well written comments looks at the whole season.  If you just look from Seattle til now, it’s even more positive.  It’s why I have so much confidence now even compared to a month ago about our chances at the Chiefs in a AFCC game.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Our defense with Nasty’s very well written comments looks at the whole season.  If you just look from Seattle til now, it’s even more positive.  It’s why I have so much confidence now even compared to a month ago about our chances at the Chiefs in a AFCC game.

See the source image

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Haha (+1) 2

You know everybody talks about how the chiefs ran up and down the field against on the ground but I think with the play of Vernon Butler,  I don't think teams are going to do that again to us.  But i think the game plan was brilliant because it exposed the chiefs on how to play them because Frazier copied the Giants playbook against us in the Super Bowl but I think the Bills corners if we play the Chiefs again has to learn that playbook because as soon a a chief receiver catch the ball should hit as hard as possible and get them thinking that they have to look over there shoulder to see if they are going to get hit again. Just as Andre Reed said after that Super Bowl that he was never hit that hard ever.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Solomon, I just did a quick read and thank you for the link.  That was very thoughtful.  I just quickly read and maybe it’s my St. Francis education 🤓🤪, but one way to review this article is it’s a defensive review of week 17, not the whole season up to 17, or maybe I interpreted incorrectly and it is the whole year.  

The reason I also say that is the numbers on the team stats doesn’t support their rankings.  Some year to date stats show some higher and some lower.  It doesn’t matter as it was a nice read so thanks Solly.

2 hours ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

It would be interesting to see what those numbers would be over the 8-1 stretch since the KC game - my guess is we might even be top 5 in most categories

I was thinking the same thing.  I’m proficient with most stats, but these advanced stats I don’t know how to find out.  My guess is similar, but per the eye test, we are looking sharp.  They just look like they are peaking in all three phases of the game.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/29/2020 at 1:31 PM, Stank_Nasty said:

And thats totally fair... explaining away their success against good qb's or cherry picking facts to support a lame point isnt.

In fairness, he’s got a point.  Bills fans make a lot of the 12 wins so far this year, but let’s not forget that every game was tied early.  Did you ever stop to think that had the Bills not ended any one of those games with more points than the opponent, the team might not have had those wins?

I hadn’t really thought about it until now, but man, we dodged a bullet by scoring more points than the other team.

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Solomon, I just did a quick read and thank you for the link.  That was very thoughtful.  I just quickly read and maybe it’s my St. Francis education 🤓🤪, but one way to review this article is it’s a defensive review of week 17, not the whole season up to 17, or maybe I interpreted incorrectly and it is the whole year.  

The reason I also say that is the numbers on the team stats doesn’t support their rankings.  Some year to date stats show some higher and some lower.  It doesn’t matter as it was a nice read so thanks Solly.

Hey MGK, in the article they are showing the teams prior defensive rankings in parentheses. This ranking is the current ranking. The Bills defense has been playing lights out the past couple weeks. Remember, AJ Klein won DPOW. Lol

• Like (+1) 1