Is Houston showing that even a Franchise QB isn't a guarantee against being bad?

Big Turk

Well...I guess the Lions do every year too with Stafford but Watson's Texans routinely make the playoffs...they hosted us last year after winning the division...

Watson has MVP caliber numbers this year...

Almost 4500 yards passing, completing 70.1% of his passes with 30 TDs to 6 INTs and a 112.6 rating. It is almost impossible for a team to be this bad with a QB performing at this level.

And now they currently would be drafting 3rd overall?

Just seems like a huge dropoff considering Watson has played very well this year and how much QBs can do to influence the outcome of games.

Does this fly in the face of people who say Franchise QBs will guarantee you 7 or 8 wins? Certainly seems to.

Edited by Big Turk

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Well...I guess the Lions do every year too with Stafford but Watson's Texans routinely make the playoffs...they hosted us last year after winning the division...

Just seems like a huge dropoff considering Watson has played very well this year and how much QBs can do to influence the outcome of games.

Does this fly in the face of people who say Franchise QBs will guarantee you 7 or 8 wins? Certainly seems to.

Absolutely!  Nothing is proof against having a craptastic player personnel management strategy

On any given year with poor leadership and cap managment, sure.  I think Houston will be a force down the road though.  Watson is great and they will be a team to deal with moving forward.   The QB is one of three parts you need, the others are coaching and cap management.  The Saints have struggled with cap management.  Tee Falcons have struggled with coaching and cap management.

In general if you get a top 5 type QB you should be able to consistently compete.  I still think we need the element of time to put Allen in that category.

The other thing, a couple examples of teams that had success only to fall off once the OC left, Philly and Atlanta....the new OC (if Daboll leaves) will be really important.    

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The Texans put an idiot in charge of their football operations.  Even a franchise QB can’t overcome that.  The good news is that with Deshaun Watson under contract long term, the rebuild should not be too long or hard, despite the fact that the idiot gave away most of your immediate draft capital.  (Watson is a far better QB than Matt Stafford, BTW...)

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Seems appropriate to put this here.

JJ Watt presser.  He lays it out:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2924323-video-jj-watt-discusses-texans-struggles-in-passionate-postgame-presser

That dude is one of my favorite non Bills of all time...he is everything that is right with sports. After that huge hurricane hit, he raised more money for the area than anyone else and was involved in the entire process of helping to rebuild things and setting all of the processes up, etc...big respect to JJ Watt.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Watson has MVP caliber numbers this year...

Almost 4500 yards passing, completing 70.1% of his passes with 30 TDs to 6 INTs and a 112.6 rating. It is almost impossible for a team to be this bad with a QB performing at this level.

Sucks that the dolphins have their pick. 

1 minute ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Sucks that the dolphins have their pick. 

Yeah...3rd overall right now. Dolphins could turn that into a Kings Ransom.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Which life?

Elite QB life.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Seems appropriate to put this here.

JJ Watt presser.  He lays it out:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2924323-video-jj-watt-discusses-texans-struggles-in-passionate-postgame-presser

Every team should watch that video at the start of training camp. Every year.

Watson has played at a top 5 level. He has been remarkable really. Even when in recent weeks down starters on the oline (which is awful to start with) and with practice squad scrubs to throw to. 

He has totally disproven the "ah he is just an average QB propped up by DeAndre Hopkins" narrative that always rang hollow to me. 

It is Rodgers, Allen, Mahomes and then Watson and Wilson. They are undsiputably the best 5 QBs in football at this point. 

The Texans are a mess elsewhere though. They have about 5 good players. That said while 2021 is gonna be another tough year the rebuild could be pretty quick after that because they are tied in long term to basically nobody other than Watson. So a smart GM and HC combo could be back in contention by 2022. It is a job I would love - especially the GM one - because you start with a blank sheet of paper but the most important part of the puzzle in place. Just build even an average roster around him and you are a playoff team right away.

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Yeah...3rd overall right now. Dolphins could turn that into a Kings Ransom.

Elite QB life.

In 2014 Manning had 4410 yards, 30 TDs and 14 int.

In 2015 Manning had 4432 yards, 35 TDs and 14 int. 

Both seasons the Giants went 6-10.

This is Watson only season over 4400 yards and over 26 TDs.  Not Elite QB life.