AFC set to dominate NFC for next decade+?

Big Turk

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

All of the good young QBs are in the AFC...and that will include Lawrence to either the Jags or Jets.

NFC only has Murray and maybe Dak. Sure they have Wilson and Rodgers and Brees and Brady but they aren't getting any younger and will be falling off sooner rather than later. AFC has Allen, Jackson, Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, Mayfield, Tagovailoa, Lawrence(next year)...

This could lead to a very unbalanced run of Super Bowl wins for the AFC over the next 10 to 15 years...how does the NFC change that?

i actually worry this will result in more NFC SB wins. Reminds me of the 90s with the Bills. I always thought the AFC was overall stronger back then, but the 1 or 2 good NFC teams (usually the Cowboys) would get to cakewalk through the playoffs and end up winning the super bowl. 

42 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i actually worry this will result in more NFC SB wins. Reminds me of the 90s with the Bills. I always thought the AFC was overall stronger back then, but the 1 or 2 good NFC teams (usually the Cowboys) would get to cakewalk through the playoffs and end up winning the super bowl. 

Why? It's a QB driven league and the best QBs are by far in the AFC. This makes little sense.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Why? It's a QB driven league and the best QBs are by far in the AFC. This makes little sense.

This may only Be my own theory. But I always felt in the 90s, all those good AFC teams beat up on each other, such that when we got to the SB, we always got some well-rested and healthy NFC opponent that could run us over.

I never thought the Cowboys were better than us (we would beat them And the other NFC teams in the regular season). But an easier path to the SB benefitted them. Again, maybe I am the only one to adhere to this theory! 

1 hour ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I agree with you on Tua. I haven't been wowed by him even for a rookie. I'm not not sure how he will handle adversity and injury issues are still a concern. I am impressed by Burrow but they are going to need to protect him going forward. Herbert looks like the real deal too.

On the NFC QBs you mention I think Russ is the best bet. I think Dak may be moving on from Dallas, I think it's gotten personal at this point and he'll get paid wherever he goes. Goff has serious flaws and there is a growing amount of film on him.

Agree on Dak.  And honestly, Jones has mismanaged the roster so poorly that signing and trading Dak will be easier than trying to move the other players it will take to get under the cap to pay him.    If I were Dallas I'd be calling the Jets asap.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

This may only Be my own theory. But I always felt in the 90s, all those good AFC teams beat up on each other, such that when we got to the SB, we always got some well-rested and healthy NFC opponent that could run us over.

I never thought the Cowboys were better than us (we would beat them And the other NFC teams in the regular season). But an easier path to the SB benefitted them. Again, maybe I am the only one to adhere to this theory! 

I think it was a different era then and while QBs were important, I think you could still win by being OK there and being great in other places.

I don't think you can anymore. Too many rule changes that give great QBs too big of an advantage over teams with average ones.

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Depends on how you look at it.  I don't think Tua has been that impressive, and Burrow was 2-8 as a starter before going down.    The NFC has Dak, Russell Wilson, and Jared Goff who are all top ten QBs in the league.   Rodgers probably has another three years in him if Green Bay keeps him around.

Jared Goff is not anywhere near a top-10 QB. MAYBE top 20.

Things turn on a dime in football but I do agree that in the NFC the QB situation is bleak. Wilson should dominate the decade or at least the next 7ish years, Rodgers will be a top tier QB for the next 3 to 5 years but his age will become an issue.

Beyond that you have Murray who has shown potiental but not exactly proven just yet and not much else in terms of young QB's. Dak and Geoff are "good" QB's but hardly anything dynamic. Unless Hurts or one of the lesser harolded QB's pops off it could be very top heavy in the NFC for the foreseeable future.

7 hours ago, Greg S said:

What about Houston? Having Watson as your QB is a good situation as well.

Watson is definitely great but he has been around for a while and doesn't qualify as a "young" franchise QB anymore. After Rivers he might be the longest tenured starting QB in thr AFC. I guess Newton too but he won't be there next year and probably is a backup now.

Edited by matter2003

9 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Depends on how you look at it.  I don't think Tua has been that impressive, and Burrow was 2-8 as a starter before going down.    The NFC has Dak, Russell Wilson, and Jared Goff who are all top ten QBs in the league.   Rodgers probably has another three years in him if Green Bay keeps him around.

Burrow is and will be a stud.

Goff? Not so much.

8 hours ago, SCBills said:

People don't trust Ohio State QB's

Fields has not looked good this year.

All Pryor OSU QBs have sucked 

Edited by inaugural balls

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Watson is definitely great but he has been around for a while and doesn't qualify as a "young" franchise QB anymore. After Rivers he might be the longest tenured starting QB in thr AFC. I guess Newton too but he won't be there next year and probably is a backup now.

Watson was drafted the year before Allen. I can't agree that 4 years is the cutoff for young.

43 minutes ago, MRW said:

Watson was drafted the year before Allen. I can't agree that 4 years is the cutoff for young.

For some reason I always forget he is in the Mahomes draft class...yeah you are right...add another one to the mix.

10 hours ago, matter2003 said:

All of the good young QBs are in the AFC...and that will include Lawrence to either the Jags or Jets.

NFC only has Murray and maybe Dak. Sure they have Wilson and Rodgers and Brees and Brady but they aren't getting any younger and will be falling off sooner rather than later. AFC has Allen, Jackson, Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, Mayfield, Tagovailoa, Lawrence(next year)...

This could lead to a very unbalanced run of Super Bowl wins for the AFC over the next 10 to 15 years...how does the NFC change that?

Talked with my buddy about this the other day.  He’s a niner fan.  I was telling him how he has smooth sailing for the next decade plus, with all of the good NFC being in their upper 30s other than Kyler and RW being 32

On 12/22/2020 at 11:33 AM, Big Turk said:

That was after Schottenheimer went 14-2 the year before and got fired for losing in the playoffs again.

I forgot all about that.   Has to be one of those records that never get broken.   Could you imagine,  "Uh hey Marty, we're lookin to make a change....."   He must've just laughed at them until he realized they were serious.

On 12/22/2020 at 11:35 AM, Greg S said:

What about Houston? Having Watson as your QB is a good situation as well.

I agree Watson would be tempting but I feel like they're a few years away with personnel.   Weird team because they suck for awhile and then play a solid game (usually when I bet against them.....)

On 12/22/2020 at 11:10 AM, mannc said:

Is Justin Fields no longer considered a top prospect?  I thought he was being mentioned in the same conversation with Lawrence only a month or so ago.  Why isn't he a solid consolation prize for the Jets?  And anyway, how often does it turn out that the first QB taken in the draft turns out to be the best pro? 

Not sure but I watched his game on Saturday against northwestern and wasn’t impressed at all. I had no perceived knowledge of him at all only the name, and he did not wow me at all. Hopefully the Jets take him at 2!

Yeah but you never know how the draft goes. In 3 years they could land 3-5 legit players at QB. Josh was doubted by 85% of people(out of thin air stats are the best) and after watching his development id think more teams are going to be willing to develop talent.

21 minutes ago, Mr. K said:

Yeah but you never know how the draft goes. In 3 years they could land 3-5 legit players at QB. Josh was doubted by 85% of people(out of thin air stats are the best) and after watching his development id think more teams are going to be willing to develop talent.

I think a lot of teams are going to think they can develop players like Allen but mostly will fall far short of it...Allen was a unique player who was way short on reps and coaching for the QB position and is obsessed with being the best and has intangibles and athleticism that are off the charts.

It's going to be very hard to find someone that has all of that going for him and massive room for improvement just from receiving basic coaching even before all the mechanics and specialized coaching comes into play.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

On 12/22/2020 at 10:41 AM, Big Turk said:

Good topic yeh most of the top qbs in the nfc not named Russell Wilson club are 40 ish I like Dak but that team is so poorly coached and managed that it doesn’t matter