AFC set to dominate NFC for next decade+?

Big Turk

All of the good young QBs are in the AFC...and that will include Lawrence to either the Jags or Jets.

NFC only has Murray and maybe Dak. Sure they have Wilson and Rodgers and Brees and Brady but they aren't getting any younger and will be falling off sooner rather than later. AFC has Allen, Jackson, Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, Mayfield, Tagovailoa, Lawrence(next year)...

This could lead to a very unbalanced run of Super Bowl wins for the AFC over the next 10 to 15 years...how does the NFC change that?

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Depends on how you look at it.  I don't think Tua has been that impressive, and Burrow was 2-8 as a starter before going down.    The NFC has Dak, Russell Wilson, and Jared Goff who are all top ten QBs in the league.   Rodgers probably has another three years in him if Green Bay keeps him around.

Hold the phone on Goff, he just lost to the worst team in Football.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Depends on how you look at it.  I don't think Tua has been that impressive, and Burrow was 2-8 as a starter before going down.    The NFC has Dak, Russell Wilson, and Jared Goff who are all top ten QBs in the league.   Rodgers probably has another three years in him if Green Bay keeps him around.

Jared Goff most assuredly is not a top 10 QB. He is reliant on McVay's system and if he has to carry the team and they can't run it they do things like lose to the Jets. And that isn't the first time we have seen performances like that when they can't run the ball.

Burrow was on a bad team and was killing it. That dude is going to bring the Bengals back to competitive in that division sooner rather than later. I like their chances much better than Pittsburgh's over the next 5 years.

Goff is like Mayfield and Tannehill in that regard. He can't carry the team.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Burrow has shown he has the "it" factor though. Hopefully he can make a full recovery. If the Bengals can build the team around him then they will be very good in the future.

13 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Goff is Goff. He'll never be an elite QB and putting him in the top 10 is not really accurate. He has the tools to be good, but crumbles ALL the time. Watching him is pretty frustrating. I know a lot of Rams fans don't have much faith in him.

Is Justin Fields no longer considered a top prospect?  I thought he was being mentioned in the same conversation with Lawrence only a month or so ago.  Why isn't he a solid consolation prize for the Jets?  And anyway, how often does it turn out that the first QB taken in the draft turns out to be the best pro? 

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

Is Justin Fields no longer considered a top prospect?  I thought he was being mentioned in the same conversation with Lawrence only a month or so ago.  Why isn't he a solid consolation prize for the Jets?  And anyway, how often does it turn out that the first QB taken in the draft turns out to be the best pro? 

People don't trust Ohio State QB's

Fields has not looked good this year.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

Fields is but has question marks now apparently. Still probably top 5 but some are saying it's no longer a lock he goes #2 like everyone expected before. But if they do go 1-2 it's going to be Jags/Jets which means another one in the AFC not NFC

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

People don't trust Ohio State QB's

Fields has not looked good this year.

Thanks.  I have not watched much college football this year, and of course OSU has only played a handful of games.

I agree with the OP that the AFC is setting up as the dominant conference. 

An interesting consequence of this is that AFC teams will have the toughest schedules, so the worst records in football are likely to come from the AFC as well.  This year’s Jets and Jaguars are a perfect example of this.  If this trend continues, then the first overall picks will stay in the AFC until some balance is restored. 

27 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I agree with you on Tua. I haven't been wowed by him even for a rookie. I'm not not sure how he will handle adversity and injury issues are still a concern. I am impressed by Burrow but they are going to need to protect him going forward. Herbert looks like the real deal too.

On the NFC QBs you mention I think Russ is the best bet. I think Dak may be moving on from Dallas, I think it's gotten personal at this point and he'll get paid wherever he goes. Goff has serious flaws and there is a growing amount of film on him.

28 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Burrow has shown he has the "it" factor though. Hopefully he can make a full recovery. If the Bengals can build the team around him then they will be very good in the future.

Would be great to see Cinci rise.  Burrow is the real deal.

I hate to say it but I see a Daboll coached Herbert being a nasty combination in the future.   If he leaves, which I'm assuming would be for the title and not the money (Terry will offer Dabes head coach money to stay I would think) I can't imagine the guy would go anywhere else considering the Chargers basically have the right players in place already to win 10 games.  The other HC vacancies are train wrecks, and Herbert is a freak passer.

4 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

I hate to say it but I see a Daboll coached Herbert being a nasty combination in the future.   If he leaves, which I'm assuming would be for the title and not the money (Terry will offer Dabes head coach money to stay I would think) I can't imagine the guy would go anywhere else considering the Chargers basically have the right players in place already to win 10 games.  The other HC vacancies are train wrecks, and Herbert is a freak passer.

Chargers should be a playoff team. They seem to always have lots of talent but seemingly many times can't get it done. Figure out improbable and crazy ways to lose every week...must be so frustrating to be a fan.

I still remember when they had the #1 offense and #1 defense in the same year and went 9-7 and missed the playoffs. How is that possible??

That was after Schottenheimer went 14-2 the year before and got fired for losing in the playoffs again.

Edited by matter2003

49 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

All of the good young QBs are in the AFC...and that will include Lawrence to either the Jags or Jets.

NFC only has Murray and maybe Dak. Sure they have Wilson and Rodgers and Brees and Brady but they aren't getting any younger and will be falling off sooner rather than later. AFC has Allen, Jackson, Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, Mayfield, Tagovailoa, Lawrence(next year)...

This could lead to a very unbalanced run of Super Bowl wins for the AFC over the next 10 to 15 years...how does the NFC change that?

young QBs are in

AZ, DAL, NYG, Rams, 

Packers used a 1st on one

SF...I think Garapolo is decent.

SEA, GB, ZmIN, DET, ATL, TB, and NO have vets. A QB can be drafted.

the idea of a de add is utter BS....

you forget...teams judge QBs by team success. If you are behind a well established team like NE you might change the QBs when that wasn’t the problem

3 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

What about Houston? Having Watson as your QB is a good situation as well.