Mike Tomlin on physicality of Bills

CorkScrewHill

2 minutes ago, AKC said:

I heard Simon was stirring up the pot and since the greatest post ever on this Board was a response to his literary skills I figured I might take a look. How are the Bills doing. 😉

well I definitely wouldn’t ask the people in the game day shoutbox. LOL

• Haha (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, AKC said:

Playing the long game, Tomlin sees an advantage to a playoff matchup against us this postseason if his players are focused on being more physical.  Leader of our D isn’t a physical guy. Surprising how many game day analysts including Sunday night have called Tremaine physical. That’s hardly his game. He’s long and laterally fast, but I don’t recall him ever knocking the snot out of a running back. Not too many years ago we had a couple LBs with different games. Tremaine is much more London Fletcher than he is Takeo Spikes. He isn’t getting in the runners grill to knock him out, he’s instead trying to bring him down without a big collision. I love his skills but it’s poor homework to call him physical. Was the team more physical Sunday than Pitt? Maybe, but not by a large margin IMO. My guess is Tomlin looking at the likelihood of seeing us again and shaming his guys a bit for the rematch.

Yeah Tomlin is simply trying to light a fire under his players by saying they got manhandled.   

That was hardly a slobber-knocker performance by the Bills.  

The biggest weakness of the Bills defense is tackling and Sunday night was hardly a revelation in that regard.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Simon said:

That's a good read on it.

Although the way the Bills were running to the ball on defense was no joke; there was some big league gang-tackling going on out there.

Poyer is so awesome I had to laugh at the PFF “rankings” they put up to start the game. He’s tough, durable, smart and athletic. He’s top 5 or 6. Odd(?) how we need to move 5 guys to the line to be as effective against the run as we were with Star and 3............

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, AKC said:

Poyer is so awesome I had to laugh at the PFF “rankings” they put up to start the game. He’s tough, durable, smart and athletic. He’s top 5 or 6. Odd(?) how we need to move 5 guys to the line to be as effective against the run as we were with Star and 3............

Yeah in the NFL Pro bowl vote page there are two guys at the top for Strong Safety Poyer and Baker and then a pretty significant drop off stat wise.

4 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

Even little Tre was out there hammering guys like he was a LB

The mugging of Ju Ju by Tre  (In Baldy's breakdown) is a fantastic watch.  Does anyone have a  game shot of that hit.

2 hours ago, AKC said:

PFF is about next gen statistics....they don't measure the heart !

• Like (+1) 1

The Steelers looked tired to me.

They looked like they were ready to check out after the Bills first first down of the final drive.

Three games in twelve days may have gotten to them.

Ben looked like his fall off may be more serious than just being tired.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, AKC said:

Playing the long game, Tomlin sees an advantage to a playoff matchup against us this postseason if his players are focused on being more physical.  Leader of our D isn’t a physical guy. Surprising how many game day analysts including Sunday night have called Tremaine physical. That’s hardly his game. He’s long and laterally fast, but I don’t recall him ever knocking the snot out of a running back. Not too many years ago we had a couple LBs with different games. Tremaine is much more London Fletcher than he is Takeo Spikes. He isn’t getting in the runners grill to knock him out, he’s instead trying to bring him down without a big collision. I love his skills but it’s poor homework to call him physical. Was the team more physical Sunday than Pitt? Maybe, but not by a large margin IMO. My guess is Tomlin looking at the likelihood of seeing us again and shaming his guys a bit for the rematch.

Edmunds is a big, tall man and somehow the analysts figure that means he's physical.  He actually is as physical as he needs to be to make the play.  He acts like he's 1/11th of the team on the field -- which is why the D is really working now.  The biggest thing about Edmunds is that his injured shoulder isn't bothering him.  Surprise surprise, now that he's healthy the entire D is a lot better.  What do you think, that's a coincidence?  I don't.

5 hours ago, AKC said:

Look at White's play against Chase Claypool...Knocked the snout out of him

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Edmunds is a big, tall man and somehow the analysts figure that means he's physical.  He actually is as physical as he needs to be to make the play.  He acts like he's 1/11th of the team on the field -- which is why the D is really working now.  The biggest thing about Edmunds is that his injured shoulder isn't bothering him.  Surprise surprise, now that he's healthy the entire D is a lot better.  What do you think, that's a coincidence?  I don't.

Points are well made in this discussion. A healthy Edmunds shows finesse most of the time but physical when needed. His tackle at the goal line against the 49ers proves he is capable of turning a running backs sideways when duty calls. The young LB has room for improvement and it’s fun watching his game take shape each week. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

This really says a lot about the culture the Bills have built. He stated itt hasn’t happened often but the Bills physically outmatched the Steelers .. that is serious respect

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/mike-tomlin-points-to-one-big-reason-the-steelers-lost-their-second-game-in-a-row/?amp_js_v=0.1&usqp=mq331AQHKAFQArABIA==

I love watching this team hit people

No doubt that opening play set the tone for the game. I thought at the time it was cool that #44 Matakavich got that first hit were he did. It did not pay immediate dividends, but the payout showed up it time.

6 hours ago, AKC said:

I heard Simon was stirring up the pot and since the greatest post ever on this Board was in response to his literary skills I figured I might take a look. How are the Bills doing? 😏 Hope things are going good with you and the balance.

Please! @AKC, what was that post? You have me curious, can you re-post it?

6 hours ago, BubbaT said:

Let's see it again Saturday. Perfect trap game between the big bad 11-1 Steelers and a trip to finish off the Patriots after this one. I can see them lose focus on a short week against a non divisional team whose record isn't great. I'd love for the Bills physicality to be an every week, every game thing as we head down the stretch and into the playoffs. Tomlin's statements are great reinforcement for how the Bills are playing. Now let's keep doing it and make it an identity.

With the Broncos losing 5 of their secondary players and John Brown possibly playing - I believe the passing game will be a major factor in attacking the Denver's depleted D.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Magox said:

Same was said by many observers about the 49ers game.  That the Bills ended up being the more physical team over the 49ers as well who is known to be bullies themselves.

This Bills team is beginning to turn it on in all aspects at the right time.

For me that 49ers game was crucial to our development.  I think the 9ers planned to physically dominate us and after that first drive and our injuries I was seriously worried.  But we really rose to the occasion and physically handled them.  Set us up for a deeper playoff run IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Dablitzkrieg said:

I can watch that fourth quarter against Pittsburgh a hundred times as they physically whip them up and down the field.

3 games in 11 days for them took its toll. Don't want to take anything away from the Bills as it was a great win but they caught the Steelers at the right time.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Magox said:

Same was said by many observers about the 49ers game.  That the Bills ended up being the more physical team over the 49ers as well who is known to be bullies themselves.

This Bills team is beginning to turn it on in all aspects at the right time.

Yeah. It was a major concern for me but they have proven since the Chiefs game that no one is going to push them around again. 

I'd say the schedule was more of a factor for them losing to the WFT since they played them just 5 days after their previous game, and the WFT had a full week.  Both the Bills and Steelers played the Monday before this past game and it was a night game.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

I'd say the schedule was more of a factor for them losing to the WFT since they played them just 5 days after their previous game, and the WFT had a full week.  Both the Bills and Steelers played the Monday before this past game and it was a night game.

Washington is a solid football team. Good defense and mistake free offense. Steelers just aren't a dominant team. 

• Like (+1) 1