What is the obsession with teams going for 4th downs early in games in red zone?

zow2

I'm too conservative to be a modern day coach... The key is early in games.  If my team scratches and claws it's way down to the 7 yards line, and it's 4th and 2 with 10 minutes to go in the FIRST Qtr, I kick the chip shot FG.  Just take the points.  All these NFL games seem to come down to 3-6 point margins.   So many clubs this year are blowing off the easy 3 and getting nothing.  

I would start going for 4th downs, if necessary, in the 2nd half when my team is down and the situation (momentum) is critical. 

Thankfully McDermott has made the right decision more often than not recently.

Edited by zow2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I'm too conservative to be a modern day coach... The key is early in games.  If my team scratches and claws it's way down to the 7 yards line, and it's 4th and 2 with 10 minutes to go in the FIRST Qtr, I kick the chip shot FG.  Just take the points.  All these NFL games seem to come down to 3-6 point margins.   So many clubs this year are blowing off the easy 3 and getting nothing.  

I would start going for 4th downs, if necessary, in the 2nd half when my team is down and the situation (momentum) is critical. 

The numbers have suggested going for it on 4th and short is way better than Meathead Gym Teacher HC’s used to think. The NFL has woken up.

• Like (+1) 1

I think a part of it is calculating how good your offense is versus the defense you are playing, how much confidence you have in your offense, how much you think not making the first down will affect your offense's confidence, how good your defense is playing, and how far the opposing team would have to drive to get points if you don't get the first down.

In other words, I think you should treat every situation differently, depending on circumstances.

But, who knows, maybe coaches are just going for it more in any situation because it seems to be working!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

Recently? Against 49ers, 4th and Goal at the 1 on the 1st drive, he went for it.

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

1.  It’s early, you can take these chances and  still recover. If you have confidence in 3 and out you likrly get ball back around mid field.

2. 4-1 4-2 on positive side of ball have always been takes shot and go for it. Especially true at goalie.

21 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

Didn't the Bills win an 18-10 game not too long ago? All FGs. Of course, the counter argument is the fact it was against the Jets.  

Yup and that’s the situational part of it. The jets were not gonna be able to sustain so we didn’t need to go for it. Also if you convert at 50% it’s 7 points to 6. So the probability is you will come out ahead in most cases if you go for it. 

Also...using advanced analytics...I would tend to bet in your example, if the ball is on the 7 yard line, the expected points would be better going for it than by kicking the FG. 

I would also tend to bet that going for it and not making it, leaving the ball on the 7 yard line would not be much worse than getting 3 points and kicking off because the expected points for a team starting at the 7 is going to be much lower than the expected points for a team starting from their 25 after you kickoff post FG. So you are probably gaining 1 to 1.5 points with the worse field position so by kicking a FG there you are really only gaining 1.5 points...

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 3

Just weighing the risk vs the reward. Analytics show teams should go for it on 4th more often than they do, and thankfully the Bills  have been great at it.

Leading the league in both 3rd & 4th down conversions (80%+ on 4th if I recall), and if it fails, you have a strong defense to give you a good chance to retain great field position.